Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Everyone,

Just came back from leave today and had to show you all a find that I found in a "second hand shop". I have been looking for good books on the Boer war, seeing as I am living in South Africa. Was looking in this shop at the old books and found "The Great Boer War" which is a book that was written in the 1900's for circulation in India and the colonies only Author war the famous Arthur Conan Doyle [Sherlock Holmes Author].
I have read that he was involved in this war one way or another, but not sure how YET?

The book is not in great shapes, but what is great is that this book holds all the foldout maps of the battle fields. As you can imagine, this will be of good use in future research.

I am so excited about this find. I believe that the book is now available in soft cover, but hey that just is not original hey?

book cover1.jpg

Main cover of the book.

Inscription.jpg

Inscription in front cover. Anybody that can give me any information on this, I would be grateful...... mainly how the date has been written as "5th Dec 0,00" in fact I am not exactly sure if it is December or not?

Inside cover.jpg

Inside cover

Fold out map.jpg

One of the maps.

Sorry that the photo's are not great, but taken with my mobile phone.

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys for the reply, I was beginning to think there was no-one here on Tnet ;D This book just happens to ba the classic on this subject, so I am very excited. I have been reading the book, but you have to be on your toes because the way he writes is not easy reading. But glad to have the book anyway :thumbsup:

God bless
Peter

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't help either, but what an exciting find!! I would take it to an expert or 3 or 4 & even if it isn't in the best shape, it is a treasure. keep us updated on your findings.

OP
OP
pgill

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mrs.oroblanco, you may be right about the date, thanks for the input on it. Mamabear, I am looking at this time for someone that may be able to help us on this book. I will keep all up to-date as and when I get more information.

If anyone is interested, mrs.oroblanco has placed a URL to the online version of the book..... Thank you very much.

God bless
Peter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread