kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't stand it anymore and rushed out and bought a F70.
Now of course, the weather in Indiana stinks and I can't get outside.
I have been testing in the house and curious about what real settings
people are using. I mostly hunt coins.
The other quesiton is VDI numbers. Has anyone posted some possible
large rings, small rings, etc numbers that they have discovered?

Thanks, hoping for Spring

Kilmer

CGMaddog

Feb 16, 2008
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter tracker IV, Sea Hunter MKII
I also just purchased one and am waiting patiently. Hopefully I can get out this weekend and play. Also check out You Tubetheir is a video posted on the f70

Mike

OP
OP
kilmer

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mike,
You will probably get out a lot more than I will in the next three or four months.
I tried Saturday, it was 31 degrees, 40 mile an hour wind gusts, and spitting snow.
I didn't last very long. Had my headphones inside my sweatshirt hood.
Still hoping for another day or two before the hard freeze. We may have to
compare our own notes.

HH,
Don

CGMaddog

Feb 16, 2008
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter tracker IV, Sea Hunter MKII
True, I moved South for just that reason minimal cold and snow just heat and hurricanes LOL. Well will let you know what I find over the next few days.

Mike

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
If you've got significant ground mineralization &/or electrical interference, you might want to use the DE(fault) mode, disc with best separation. Maybe threshold -1 sens 50-99, or threshold 0 sens 30-50, or threshold +1 sens 15-30. Something in this range should work almost anywhere.

Higher sens with 0 or +1 did not increase distance detected in air test. Higher sens makes audio less modulated. Lower sens will make deeper items give a softer beep.

With threshold negative, there is some depth loss with high disc. 0 or + threshold & there seems to be no depth loss turning up disc to reject pulltabs.

If you have low ground minerals but electrical interference, you may be able to use the SL mode (deeper but separation not as good) with a threshold of maybe -3 and sens 99 worked in air, but lower if ground noise.

For coin hunting, the IDs are pretty jumpy in bad ground. If it stays above pulltab on most passes, & sometimes reaches dime or quarter #s, dig it. In bad ground, nickels & pulltabs below 3" may ID as zinc. So you could probably still get deep gold rings while rejecting shallow tabs in bad ground.

If you have good ground, IDs should be accurate to impressive depths. I was able to get correct ID in air test with quarter to 12" inside house.

As for gold, like all detectors I can think of, ID all over. Small rings probably read as foil or nickel. Medium size rings pulltab, large rings maybe zinc #s or higher.

If ground is highly variable, ground rebalance frequently for best depth.

You might have the disc set about 15 if you want to dig all but iron to get gold jewelry. Here are some of my air tests inside house with a quarter-electrical interference present but of course no ground minerals, disc at 15:

DE -1 sens 60 9" DE 0 sens 30 9" DE +1 sens 15 9.5"* DE +2 sens 10 9"*
SL -7 sens 99 10" SL -5 sens 99 11" SL -3 sens 99 11.5" SL -1 sens 10 11.5"*
* indicates unstable due to electrical interference. But #s that are stable on ground may be higher than #s that are stable in air inside house, at least in DE mode. In bad ground, SL mode may not be usable. HH, George (MN)

First off I really like my F70- its a great partner to my Etrac

I almost always hunt in 3H- which is where coins and nickels give a high tone
I hunt in all metal- the iron signals are low "blurps" its not loud annoying thuds like the explorer
I usually hunt with the sens up around 80- but you may want to keep it at 60 and up it a couple each time out
I always hunt in DE setting- never found a site that had little enough iron to hunt in SL

I bought the small coil, it is totally worth it for the price (call detectordepot and ask Lynne about it). You get the coil and stem for quick changes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread