Facebook postings

RTH

Sep 22, 2015
Hunterdon County NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, White's MXT, Minelab EQ800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone used facebook to locate new detecting sites?

I am sure that there are local discussion groups for just about every area where we can post items for sale or things that we are looking for. I was curious if anyone has any success using this technique.

How about posting for local hobbyists that may not use other online forums?

Thanks for any input.

fuzzy535

Dec 12, 2014
fairview park, ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, ACE 350,
Fisher F4, whites prizm III, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive thought about asking on our local community page. basically that its a hobby and if anyone may have some property that they would like checked out. then to PM privately about it. our community page is a closed group, plus i thought it may open some doors to more hunters in my area. there dosent seem to be any active clubs around me that i have found, maybe their like the free masons and are very hush hush....

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest making some friends who have been around the area a while, and some that live in older homes, and after a while, privately tell them about your hobby and then, when the time is right, (maybe after showing a few of your finds), ask them if you can detect their property.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh. NO here too!

F10D6752-0080-417A-8D24-C415BF79FBC8.png
C84B3694-DA27-4C10-88A9-DCA41AE3DD63.jpeg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back in the sixties the party line had 14 homes and everybody listened to everyones conversation, now it's billions. No thanks

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the sixties the party line had 14 homes and everybody listened to everyones conversation, now it's billions. No thanks

You could at least use your imagination, now now the spying comes with photos and wearable tracking devices so they know when you hit the bar around the corner and who you are with.

Smartphones
1FB27C5B-03E7-46FA-815E-721D9EBE85BD.jpeg

are worst then THIS
FC983008-8652-47ED-B69A-5253161695B1.jpeg

And everyone has one of some kind.

Yeahhh.... me and the detector and beekeeping is music to my ears. Share my thoughts with like minded people on Tnet is about it for me.

EA11C758-46C2-4F5E-A85F-775448C4022B.jpeg

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indirectly, I don't do Bookface but the wife does (I hate drama)..but I was absolutely desperate 2 summers ago for new dirt, so I had the wife reach out and she asked all her friends. She described my hobby, what I do and what I wanted...dirt. Same night she got a response, saying I was more than welcome to come out and root around. I showed up next day and talked to the lady of the house, who pointed to a new barn about 200 yards away and said "we pushed over an old building before building the new one..there should be plenty metal there".....meh..I wandered around for 15 minutes listening to total overload tones. Ddf

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I belong to a couple regional FB MD pages. I laugh when someone asks where is a good site to detect and the have a recommendations map and expect other members to pin a property for them to hunt. Talking about needing immediate gratification, wow they have some nerve. . I have seen some ads on CraigsList where people had an ad asking for permissions. First off no one, not in the hobby, will ever see those craigslist ads, because they would never search for metal detector or metal detecting. If you are going to post on a yard sale site, those people are out for a buck and would want all the good finds or a good share of them. To post it on a community page might be okay, but again you might get permission to hunt a steel yard since it's full of metal. I get permissions through local friends who ask for me, or else I do some cold knocking if no one is out side at some prospective sites. I take numerous ways home just so I have a chance of catching owners outside. I find it way easier to start up a small conversation, to see what kind of mood they are in before I ask or if I even ask at that time. I have also lucked into a few permissions when people have walked up to me when they see ,me swinging the coil in the yard next door to their's and they offer up their property or pull up in a car to let you know they are curious as to what I might find on their property and give me permission.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions