larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_1142.jpg IMG_1144.jpg IMG_2657.jpg Image.jpg sc00152f4e.jpg sc0056d0aa.jpg sc004fdd95.jpg sc00564ed101.jpg sc00568a9d.jpg sc00bfffca.jpg sc0035358a.jpg some one asked me to post these about ten days ago
they are all surface finds fro the last 20 yrs i think john and bruce found one of those birds heads the first one looks a bit like a horse to me
te third image is the leading broke off end of a game piece called a snow snake (i think)
the stick i found about 15 years ago only one inch from being drove over and crushed by my pickup.....
..i don't know what kind of animal is etched in the middle (any ideas?)...but what i think is cool is the picture....
on the bottom which looks to me like a papoose on a cradle board with hand reaching out and a feather in its head (any ideas?)
my favorite is the piece by the penny looks like a person wit his hands in the air and a bow and arrow drawn and pointed at him or her??

one last thing about the stick: i have to get a shot of the back side as it has a full herringbone design incised into the back side....

it is cut real deep....you can see the same herringbone pattern on the small end from just behind the (badger?) towards the thin end
the reason you cannot see it on the very inch and a half of the narrow end (on both sides) is because it is worn away thru use wear....
....it apparently was held in the hand by the end for an awful lot of years...i have ideas as to the purpose of this piece...but that is all they are....ideas IMG_0231.jpg IMG_0233.jpg IMG_0236.jpg here is one more i ran across

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice stuff Larson... Your farm is prime hunting area.

FYI, I lived in Minot for 16 months in 1977.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Really nice stuff Larson... Your farm is prime hunting area.

FYI, I lived in Minot for 16 months in 1977.

thank you i am a little over 100 miles S of Minot
i do not own the site but me and my john deeres have kept it in good order for the last 26 years,
..since 1986 when a high school friend bought it

and for several years now i have Twitko sharing in the responsibilities ...
....i could not do it all alone so i owe many thanks to Twitko...he is great

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where has Twitko been lately? He doesnt come around as much and I miss his posts.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Where has Twitko been lately? He doesnt come around as much and I miss his posts.

i think he is playing more guitar lately
it's to darn cold (-6 below this morning) and some snow again....not a lot but just enuff to wreck the surface hunting

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the look...

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
You look like ya been workin a little bit..........great stuff ..yeah this place you work seems likes heaven. :icon_thumright:

IMG_0231.jpg

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks Sohio

the last three images are of the biggest crane's head that we have found......
.....it is a shame that the handle is broke off, because it would be over twice as long as it is now

holding on to a 1950's John Deere steering wheel is part of the reason for the look as well

also forgot to point out.....in the 7th image the piece on top is a broke childs toy tomahawk.....
......if you enlarge a few times i think you can see it

larson1951

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Larson this stuff is amazing. Glad you are saving it and sharing the pictures. It is really cool to see the story on bone. I heard the sandhill cranes go over the other day and thought of you. At - 6 below ? That is cold sir.

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 711111 View attachment 711112 View attachment 711113 View attachment 711114 View attachment 711115 View attachment 711116 View attachment 711117 View attachment 711118 View attachment 711119 View attachment 711120 View attachment 711121 some one asked me to post these about ten days ago
they are all surface finds fro the last 20 yrs i think john and bruce found one of those birds heads the first one looks a bit like a horse to me
te third image is the leading broke off end of a game piece called a snow snake (i think)
the stick i found about 15 years ago only one inch from being drove over and crushed by my pickup.....
..i don't know what kind of animal is etched in the middle (any ideas?)...but what i think is cool is the picture....
on the bottom which looks to me like a papoose on a cradle board with hand reaching out and a feather in its head (any ideas?)
my favorite is the piece by the penny looks like a person wit his hands in the air and a bow and arrow drawn and pointed at him or her??

one last thing about the stick: i have to get a shot of the back side as it has a full herringbone design incised into the back side....

it is cut real deep....you can see the same herringbone pattern on the small end from just behind the (badger?) towards the thin end
the reason you cannot see it on the very inch and a half of the narrow end (on both sides) is because it is worn away thru use wear....
....it apparently was held in the hand by the end for an awful lot of years...i have ideas as to the purpose of this piece...but that is all they are....ideas View attachment 711147 View attachment 711148 View attachment 711149 here is one more i ran across

Is it a Honeybee?

N

natchitoches

hey larson
the picture with the dime in it.
is that bone or stone?

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
hey larson
the picture with the dime in it.
is that bone or stone?

ok it is agate i believe

i need to learn more about rocks and minerals especially the kind that is not from my area
between my friend john and i we have about 5 or 6 more of these birds (the stone..not the bone...) kind by the dime
that you are referring to and about half are unfinished pieces.....but they are all made of agate or white petrified wood
just another type of piece that occurs with some consistence at the same site..and all are made...
....with the dimensions so very close to each other

larson1951

N

natchitoches

i could tell it did not have the same looks about it
as the other bone items

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting these. They are beautiful pieces!
Nick

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really nice stuff you have found. Always a pleasure to view. Sorry about the -6. We had 80's today here in Melbourne Beach. I know of a lot of middens near by but they are just full of dicarded shells, and broken junk. Thanks

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Paleopilot says: Is it a Honeybee?

hey thanks, that is possible, i am at a loss

some of these things are never gonna be figured out but one thing for sure is that they were an animal or insect, etc,
that had a meaning
how can we ever know?

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_3108.jpg IMG_3107.jpg IMG_3106.jpg IMG_3111.jpg

here is the back side showing the herring bone design and the wear on the small end and shows that it appears to have been made from a piece of split buffalo rib
also a close up of the 'honeybee' or whatever it is any other ideas?

and a close up of what we think is a broke childs tomahawk along with another one which were found over 15 yrs ago on the side of a hill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread