larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_1142.jpg IMG_1144.jpg IMG_2657.jpg Image.jpg sc00152f4e.jpg sc0056d0aa.jpg sc004fdd95.jpg sc00564ed101.jpg sc00568a9d.jpg sc00bfffca.jpg sc0035358a.jpg some one asked me to post these about ten days ago
they are all surface finds fro the last 20 yrs i think john and bruce found one of those birds heads the first one looks a bit like a horse to me
te third image is the leading broke off end of a game piece called a snow snake (i think)
the stick i found about 15 years ago only one inch from being drove over and crushed by my pickup.....
..i don't know what kind of animal is etched in the middle (any ideas?)...but what i think is cool is the picture....
on the bottom which looks to me like a papoose on a cradle board with hand reaching out and a feather in its head (any ideas?)
my favorite is the piece by the penny looks like a person wit his hands in the air and a bow and arrow drawn and pointed at him or her??

one last thing about the stick: i have to get a shot of the back side as it has a full herringbone design incised into the back side....

it is cut real deep....you can see the same herringbone pattern on the small end from just behind the (badger?) towards the thin end
the reason you cannot see it on the very inch and a half of the narrow end (on both sides) is because it is worn away thru use wear....
....it apparently was held in the hand by the end for an awful lot of years...i have ideas as to the purpose of this piece...but that is all they are....ideas IMG_0231.jpg IMG_0233.jpg IMG_0236.jpg here is one more i ran across

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UMMM ........NO Comment brotha!!!!......You know how i feel about T Wit and your finds. Always exquisite!!!! I love that piece in pic 3, like how it looks like a Oxbow point but made into a pendant(I Think)........As always man love your collection and that field to boot!!!! Hope all is well and that you all Have a Great Christmas out there!!!!.......................................Chris

Last edited:
OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
UMMM ........NO Comment brotha!!!!......You know how i feel about T Wit and your finds. Always exquisite!!!! I love that piece in pic 3, like how it looks like a Oxbow point but made into a pendant(I Think)........As always man love your collection and that field to boot!!!! Hope all is well and that you all Have a Great Christmas out there!!!!.......................................Chris

thank you Chris
yup it does look like an oxbow point only upside dowm

however it is made of rib bone probably elk
it is broke off piece of a game piece called a snow snake
the game was played on the ice of the missouri river

here is a link that shows some images

one thing different is that when we rarely find a whole one it is only a foot long....not several feet like the info in the link says

Last edited:

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so freakin kool!!! How far are you away from the river Steve?? I bet you could find stuff all the way to it.............

johnfile

Feb 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful pieces! :) Where is the illustration that says ceremonials taken from...i'd like to copy it.

justonemore

Oct 31, 2011
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Steve! Pieces and history most of us will never find or hold in hand. We find rocks, lots of rocks, but bone or wood, not very likely. Makes you understand what little we know about these people just based on rocks, pieces like these give you an appreciation that life wasn't just utilitarian.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
That is so freakin kool!!! How far are you away from the river Steve?? I bet you could find stuff all the way to it.............

it is quite a ways from the river but who knows what the river used to look like thousands of yrs ago b4 the dams asf

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful pieces! :) Where is the illustration that says ceremonials taken from...i'd like to copy it.

it is from a book that was written by ernst steinbrueck in the early 1800's (i think)
the bills on the tools are super polished and shiny
i have to agree they could very well be quill flatteners

imagine some people sitting and making moccasins and clothes, processing quills and dying them and....
....them talking and showing off to each other who has the prettiest bird and why......this is the nature of a human, right?

thanks john,
larson1951

Last edited:

IlliniGuy

Dec 8, 2012
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Larson, I lurked here a long time before I joined and wanted to say I have been amazed at the artifacts you have posted. As far as I am concerned, flint is flint. Sure, there are the exceptional examples from around the country, but your fine pieces of Bone just blow me away. Thank you for sharing.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Larson, I lurked here a long time before I joined and wanted to say I have been amazed at the artifacts you have posted. As far as I am concerned, flint is flint. Sure, there are the exceptional examples from around the country, but your fine pieces of Bone just blow me away. Thank you for sharing.

you are welcome
if you want to see other tools made from buffalo, elk, turkey etc i got quite a few different things
fish hooks, whistles, beads awls, flaking tools shovels, hoes, game pieces, etc

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you are welcome
if you want to see other tools made from buffalo, elk, turkey etc i got quite a few different things

Rub it in why don't ya!!! Not like we all haven't been drooling over your collection Steve!!!..:laughing7:....................Chris............

IlliniGuy

Dec 8, 2012
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you are welcome
Well I have lurked long enough to see what you have posted so why don't you just suprise me with something:notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread