Fair ground silver

heartslayer2001

Oct 17, 2006
long prairie,mn
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, BOUNTY HUNTER 101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this at 6" in a trashy area. 1946 washington. along with a few zincolns, and the stuff fair grounds are made of, pulltabs. This fairground has been in the town since 1883. i figured if i hit every inch i may find something. I have hunted this for the past couple of summers off and on and finally hit silver. Yes, i have found a couple wheats, but nothing older than 1920. May have been the ole timers detecting getting most , but how could they miss a quarter. Anyway thanks for looking. Oh and sorry for the pic, i needs a new camera. thanks

Attachments

• SDC12926.JPG
    SDC12926.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 803
Upvote 0

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, how can they miss a quarter? Puzzling isnt it? Of course you can definitely say in a high trash area the older detector would not be able to cut through a piece of junk metal lying above it;
and, then a quarter below might be missed. But, what really gets you thinking is how come you can still find wheats pretty much consistently but finding a silver dime can be a chore?
Did those old machines DISC out copper that good and hone in on silver?
And, then there is the mineralization component. The older detectors prolly did not do well in cutting through mineralized ground as much causing a mixed up signal that could hide a quarter.
Frost heave? I wonder about this one alot. How far can you push something back up?

I hunted an small area this Summer without headphones and found only clad. I went back to the same place a week later with headphones on and hit a signal 4" down and it was a silver dime.
I know I was there and passed the coil over it. How did I find it this time?

Nice finds. That quarter is sweet!

ES66

Oct 3, 2008
Eagan, MN
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Congratulations on the silver... Just remember, no site is completely hunted out... They always miss something...

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job pulling that silver!
Ive seen an autumn freeze push bottles out of the ground,
ground thaws, they're gone.......

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats, there's more silver in there, it's just hidden in the trash, or beyond the reach of most detectors.

Snake Eyes

Sep 24, 2011
111/101 in SW Ohio.
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Explorer SE, Dowsing Rods...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most avoid the high trash areas that hide the goodies, because of lazyness, and lack of patients! If you work these areas from all directions, go slow, work every inch, and turn down your discimination a bit to avoid masking of good targets next to junk, there WILL be more Goodies....

CHEERS :coffee2: And Good Luck!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on finding silver man! :hello2:
Where there's one there's usually more! :thumbsup:

Best of luck to you,
Dave

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Imagine if you will a park from 1900. So some handfulls of coins and jewerly get lost every year. And this goes on for years ...and year after year.
But, also imagine all the junk that gets dropped and in far greater numbers; bottle caps, pull tabs, gum foil. And that goes on for years...and year after year.
Now the junk metal corrodes and mixes in the with dirt. That is a mess. My detector still chirps like a coin on some of those old twist offs.
I found a memorial cent this year down 9" and it wasnt very old. Makes you wonder what is down there. :D

OP
OP
H

heartslayer2001

Oct 17, 2006
long prairie,mn
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, BOUNTY HUNTER 101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes there has to more at this fairgrounds, i have been working on a grid pattern here. takes time. also the discrimination on the detector, well i use the ace 250 and wish it had the disc on it. i do use the coin setting, and in doing this i have found i miss most of the junk until i turn up the sens. i have been finding coins at this spot around 8''. There is alot of trash as i stated but i have the tone in my head of what to listen for. Yes i believe there is alot more here. Another note, pennies, the zincoln. i have found as many as 50 a day. i throw them in a can, when it gets full to the bank i go. if they not to bad of shape. i clean them just enough. Another note i see alot of you posting alot of stuff other than coins, it seems that most detectors will pick up alot of different things. what i like about the ace is the double beep when i hit a coin. Keep diggin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread