Fake coin - but oh so real Gold!

PKennett

Oct 18, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this last Saturday in about 5 inches of salty mud on a beach here in Singapore. It's a U.S. Five Dollar gold piece, about the size of a nickel. It came out of the salt water this shinny and corrosion free, so I was pretty excited to see it!

There where thousands of counterfeits made of this coin, along with tons of brass fakes. This one is not real either, as the give-away is the "S" mint mark. No U.S. $5 gold coins were minted in San Francisco in 1907.

However, I took it to a jeweler this week and it is the same weight (8.4 grams) and size as the original. The jeweler claims it is at least 20kt gold. This makes it very close to a real $5 gold coin, but again, the "S" mintmark is proof that this is not authentic U.S. mint. In any event - it's a great find!

Peter

Attachments

• 5$LibertyGold.jpg
    5$LibertyGold.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 1,960
Upvote 0

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Find! :hello2:
I'd think that EP would show deterioration.
Do diameter & thickness differ from an original to account for weight difference :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
PKennett

PKennett

Oct 18, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The size and thickness are identical to a real one. The weight was quoted to be 8.4 grams, however i think he may have rounded up. I have a digital gold scale coming in the mail, and will check it myself.

greg23

May 16, 2008
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
You should have a jeweler put it in a spectrometer. It will give you percentages of metals within it.

Still a heart stopper though!!

HH

Greg

dale68

Jan 12, 2009
It might be cast lead flash coated with gold [flash coating cast lead was a common practice of counterfitters] check the reeded edge with a magnifying glass. let us know what you learn. It's a great find real or not.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
PKennett said:
Neil in West Jersey said:
The only reference to 1907 with an S mintmark came from...you guessed it, a chinese company selling them online:

That's a $10. San Francoso did make the $10 double eagle in 1907, but not the $5.

My bad...I went by the google results and did not check to see if the picture matched...

Chicago Ron

Apr 12, 2005
In the Lake in Chicago
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-trac, Excaliber II, GPX-5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find, I'll bet there were copys made of coins in real gold just for placement in jewlery!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PKennett said:
The size and thickness are identical to a real one. The weight was quoted to be 8.4 grams, however i think he may have rounded up. I have a digital gold scale coming in the mail, and will check it myself.
:read2:

I think your weight is correct, or near as dam it.....Wikipedia sourse.. :thumbsup:

Its weight was virtually the same, 8.359 grams, but the diameter was reduced one final time, to 21.6 mm, in 1840. This design was used for nearly 70 years, from 1839 to 1908, with a modest change in 1866, when "In God We Trust" was placed on the reverse above the eagle. It holds the distinction of being the only coin of a single design to be minted at seven U.S. Mints: Philadelphia, Dahlonega, Charlotte, New Orleans, San Francisco, Carson City, and Den.

The Mint marks also appeared below the eagle on the reverse, I would say judging by your sizes and weights, you have a deliberate real Gold reproduction..nice find :thumbsup:

SS

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get this up on the Banner ...........quick !!!

WTG

Rockyredbaron

HH to all

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still nice find. I think my heart would have stopped for a few seconds if I saw that in my scoop......Matt

jcooking

Feb 28, 2010
Montana
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-1 probe
Garrett AT Gold
Wow awesome coin, good counterfeit coins can be very collectible. BANNER

AMorgan

Feb 22, 2008
Houston Texas
pepperj said:
greg23 said:
You should have a jeweler put it in a spectrometer. It will give you percentages of metals within it.

Still a heart stopper though!!

HH

Greg

Simple test and 100% accurate.

Very nice find.

Spectrometers read only what is on the surface... Heavy plating will give a false positive.

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Great find! I, too, once found a fake gold coin...a 1911 British Sovereign. I heard they used to throw them to the bride of Indian weddings (not native American). It may not have been a real sovreign, but at least it was around a quarter ounce of real gold!

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread