One last Thanks, Matt!

U

umrgolf

Well you asked me to take care of the stuff, so I went out and got a display box just for the three days of fun you allowed me to have :laughing7: :headbang: Hope I can put you guys on some nice stuff in my area :thumbsup:

Finds from 1/14, 1/15, & 1/19

IMG_0041.JPG

trying to i.d. this piece in "What is it?" http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,378611.0.html
14K gold bar (customized 2nd Lt shoulder bar ??? )
my piece measures 31mm as opposed to the standard 35mm​
IMG_0043.JPG IMG_0020.JPG

Here's what the standard 2nd Lt. shoulder bar looked like
IMG_0043.JPG

1830 halfdime
IMG_0019.JPG IMG_0019.JPG

1850 halfdime
IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0023.JPG

Civil war, soldier-made sinker
IMG_0041.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,112
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,115
  • IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,117
  • IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,103
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 1,101
  • bar.JPG
    bar.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 678
Upvote 0

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great display case of precious history and memories . MaineRelic

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks good Jeff!! Not bad for a hunted out site. With the F75s, there's no such thing as a hunted out site. Get a piece of red flannel or velvet to put under the relics in the box. That makes the coins and bullets stand out. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

MaineRelic said:
A great display case of precious history and memories . MaineRelic

Bingo.. In the future, everytime I look at the case, I'll relive those 3 hunts :thumbsup: love this hobby

VOL1266-X said:
Looks good Jeff!! Not bad for a hunted out site. With the F75s, there's no such thing as a hunted out site. Get a piece of red flannel or velvet to put under the relics in the box. That makes the coins and bullets stand out. HH, Quindy.

great idea Quindy :sign13:

Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
You really owe this guy!

J/k Great display Jeff.

you got that right, Mike ;D

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Looks Great !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Keep @ It and HH !! :D ;D

thank you Mud

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some nice relics you found. Yea they would look great with red under them......Matt

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

mlayers said:
Those are some nice relics you found. Yea they would look great with red under them......Matt

agreed, gonna try it out!

peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: That looks real good, makes me want to go back to those spots and dig some more! I know we(you) :laughing9: did'nt find all of it. When you get back from Russia you'll have to come back down here and try out your new F75.
Take care,
Matt

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

peanut said:
:thumbsup: That looks real good, makes me want to go back to those spots and dig some more! I know we(you) :laughing9: did'nt find all of it. When you get back from Russia you'll have to come back down here and try out your new F75.
Take care,
Matt

Im confident that you will be posting some more great stuff from that site :thumbsup: Looking forward to future hunts!

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• ribbonbars.JPG
    ribbonbars.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 769
OP
OP
U

umrgolf

texjim said:
Do you think that gold bar could be a money clip? Nice job.. Tex

don't think so.. it seems too small and from what I keep hearing, the opinions seem about 50/50 on whether its a military bar or a piece of women's jewelry

if you look closely at the engraving, there is no symmetry (old) :dontknow: seems likely that it was part of a plow-scattered 1850's cache with the rest of the silver coins that have been found in this field

IMG_0028.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 764
OP
OP
U

umrgolf

chukers said:
This is what the gold bar reminds me of... but I could not find any reference tot hem ever being mad of metal especially gold!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribbon_bar

to me it resembles a 2nd Lieutenant's shoulder bar more than anything.. During the Civil war they were made of cloth and sewed onto the uniforms, but this seems like something that might have been worn by a wealthy individual :dontknow:

after emails to 3 different CW experts, they all agree that it appears to be military, but none of them had seen anything like it.. so it will likely go unsolved.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
chukers said:
This is what the gold bar reminds me of... but I could not find any reference tot hem ever being mad of metal especially gold!

to me it resembles a 2nd Lieutenant's shoulder bar more than anything.. During the Civil war they were made of cloth and sewed onto the uniforms, but this seems like something that might have been worn by a wealthy individual :dontknow:

after emails to 3 different CW experts, they all agree that it appears to be military, but none of them had seen anything like it.. so it will likely go unsolved.

Is it the same size of a ribbon bar? I know there were some longer.. but these on wiki are all the same size.

OP
OP
U

umrgolf

chukers said:
umrgolf said:
chukers said:

Is it the same size of a ribbon bar? I know there were some longer.. but these on wiki are all the same size.

It measures approx 31mm

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
chukers said:
umrgolf said:
chukers said:

It measures approx 31mm

I looked up the shoulder bars and found this... I think you are more right than I am I bet it had to be a dress uniform or something.

http://books.google.com/books?id=sN...ook_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CEsQ6AEwBw

Look at page 30 and 31

Attachments

• bar.JPG
    bar.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 697
  • barinfo.JPG
    barinfo.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 725
OP
OP
U

umrgolf

chukers said:
umrgolf said:
chukers said:
umrgolf said:
chukers said:

It measures approx 31mm

I looked up the shoulder bars and found this... I think you are more right than I am I bet it had to be a dress uniform or something.

http://books.google.com/books?id=sN...ook_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CEsQ6AEwBw

Look at page 30 and 31

Wow, I think you just nailed it.. That design seems very close....

The last couple sentences of the first paragraph on pg. 31 explain it precisely.

"Then you couldn't tell a second louie from an enlisted man-that is, unless you failed to salute him. So in 1917 the Army finally got around to giving him a gold bar- something the Confederacy had done for its shavetails just 55 years earlier!"

... and this came from a Confederate camp.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
umrgolf said:
chukers said:
umrgolf said:
chukers said:
umrgolf said:
chukers said:

It measures approx 31mm

Look at page 30 and 31

Wow, I think you just nailed it.. That design seems very close....

The last couple sentences of the first paragraph on pg. 31 explain it precisely.

Well if it is that my first ID ever!... I am shocked... Usually others find it before me.... any way here is the clip... and you know as well as I do that designs varied... different manufactures and different sides made things differently... just look at all the sword plate belt buckle designs... so many different ones. that could explain it all.

Chukers

Attachments

• paragraph.JPG
    paragraph.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 707

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh BTW that book has alot of great reference material and illustrations for future uses!

Chukers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions