Surf_Pirate

Life's Short - Dig Deep
Mar 31, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Faker Bo Bakers....I Just wanted to start by saying I love this site and can be amazed by the finds of fellow hunters. It excites me into getting out and hitting the dirt just a little bit harder. I may be only a green horn member but not new to treasure hunting, so I have a question that may have been answered here already so tell me if so. "I've noticed threads of finds, mainly with videos posted here, or like some on U tube, then get excited as most when there is that shimmer of something shiny in a freshly dug hole, but when the item (like a gold coin) is removed then lightly washed, it exposed this almost near mint object, I have to wonder how? ??? Really I say! or am I wrong?" I can say I've never found gold or silver in the dirt, just in a creek or pan, but how is it that something can be so pristine after buried for so long? thanks guys :icon_thumright:

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience both gold and Silver come out of the ground very bright and untarnished. The actual condition varies. I have not found any coins in mint condition but that couple in California that found the gold coins in the cans, most of them were in Near Mint condition.

OP
OP
Surf_Pirate

Surf_Pirate

Life's Short - Dig Deep
Mar 31, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
true to the near mint coins in Cal, but they turned out to be mint coins after all ya know.. They were sealed in a can but I'm referring to something just pulled from the earth. And not until when I find that pure silver or gold coin myself I can only believe these finds must be true??

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it! The purer the gold more likely it is to come out of the ground bright and shinning. I have pulled silver out of the ground that was shiny. It has to do with what other metals it is mixed or in with and soil conditions. I have also found silver that was black. I have found what I thought was a junk bracelet kinda a dirty silver color that when tested was white gold, had no clasp so no markings.
People on here have had to soak their yellow gold in vinegar to clean it also.

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never found gold but I watched my brother pull an 18k gold chunker ring out of the ground and it came out looking like it was brand new.

I have dug plenty of silver and it comes out clean.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions