Fall finds in Maine.

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20231009_124759.jpg
I was able to add another gouge to my hardstone gouge collection.

Upvote 14

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
You certainly find the Gouges in your area. Nobody probably knows what they are.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Very nice find. Gouges in many areas are scarce. I have two. One does not see them often or at all in some states. That you have found 13 is wild, congratulations.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. Gouges in many areas are scarce. I have two. One does not see them often or at all in some states. That you have found 13 is wild, congratulations.
Thanks it seems they along with the adzes were the tools of choice in my neck of the woods.I have found them at four different sites but heavily at one.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool, I don’t even stumble across examples of gouges in books or on line very often, let alone find one in person.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gotta have a good eye to see something like that mixed in the local gravel l and debris that is common in the area I guess as you find a few and than more and even more yet they start to jump out at you when you see them Nice item and I bet every one you get is a real sense of accomplishment

Last edited:

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Maine and vicinity is where the maritime archaic folks lived. It’s thought that they were the first to start pecking and polishing igneous rocks into axes, gouges and other woodworking tools.
Do you remember his harpoon point he found? Been a few years

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I have only been active on tis forum since 2017 and I do not recall a harpoon point We all get Luckly some times but the most Luckly people are those that put forth the most effort and though into what ever they do To be successful many times over is a result of work and thought Congrats on your well earned finds .
It’s been a few years back when he found it.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ive been fortunate to be in an area that had a heavy Archaic presence. I have access to over twenty sites streamside and lakeside both.These hardstone tools represent the Maine Maritime Archaic Tradition. Ive spent over twenty years walking streams,rivers and lake shorelines.None of my hundreds of Maine artifacts have been found in a field.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maine and vicinity is where the maritime archaic folks lived. It’s thought that they were the first to start pecking and polishing igneous rocks into axes, gouges and other woodworking tools.
I would say Maine has the highest presence of gouges of all the states.The gouge and adze seem to be the most prevalent.This is partly due to their manufacturing of dugout canoes.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gotta have a good eye to see something like that mixed in the local gravel l and debris that is common in the area I guess as you find a few and than more and even more yet they start to jump out at you when you see them Nice item and I bet every one you get is a real sense of accomplishment
What makes this special is it wasnt there last year.The shoreline and its contents changes yearly.I walk it every year and find artifacts every year that werent there before or at least visible.This gouge was not laying there last year i can see that a mile away.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What makes this special is it wasnt there last year.The shoreline and its contents changes yearly.I walk it every year and find artifacts every year that werent there before or at least visible.This gouge was not laying there last year i can see that a mile away
Do you remember his harpoon point he found? Been a few years
Screenshot_20230115-081800_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20230115-081732_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230115-082143_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230115-082143_Chrome.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 17

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What makes this special is it wasnt there last year.The shoreline and its contents changes yearly.I walk it every year and find artifacts every year that werent there before or at least visible.This gouge was not laying there last year i can see that a mile away

View attachment 2120004 View attachment 2120005
What is the material it's made from?
I don't know if you stated it in the original post up, thought I'd just ask instead.
Great looking harpoon

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023

View attachment 2120004 View attachment 2120005
Just as I remembered it. How many years ago was it when you found it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread