Fall finds in Maine.

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20231009_124759.jpg
I was able to add another gouge to my hardstone gouge collection.

Upvote 14

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am admittedly not familiar with NE coastal culture.... how similar to PNW culture was it? We had extensive wood based tech over here, with year-round villages and AMPLE, reliable high protein food resources. Very little major intertribal conflict and a robust slave culture. Whale hunting on the tip of WA state and Vancouver island (rights to this day to continue), seal, elk, oyster and of course SALMON buy the bushel! Not to mention thousand year old forests and abundant fresh water.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am admittedly not familiar with NE coastal culture.... how similar to PNW culture was it? We had extensive wood based tech over here, with year-round villages and AMPLE, reliable high protein food resources. Very little major intertribal conflict and a robust slave culture. Whale hunting on the tip of WA state and Vancouver island (rights to this day to continue), seal, elk, oyster and of course SALMON buy the bushel! Not to mention thousand year old forests and abundant fresh water.
The Moorehead phase were hunter gathers who migrated back and forth according to the seasons.This allowed them to capitalize on coastal fauna as well as inland resources.I live near the Sebasticook lake fish weir that is still visible today.When lake levels are lowered for algae control and its been a dry season the thousands of years old stakes are still visible.They were able to harvest all the fish they needed to survive during the fish migrations.
Screenshot_20230211-070751_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
We still have visible weirs in our river I see a couple every day on my way to work but they are rock shaped like a big V. The water flows in the large opening which would funnel the fish down where they could spear them or use a net. Every year we have stripers that run around July up the river to spawn. Auto correct almost did me wrong on the fish spelling lol. Nice article

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread