False claims or what?

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon to all, I was doing a little research and needed a reset on my way of going about this. To start I went on Ebay and looked at the gold mines for sale and picked three for laughs. The two I looked up on Mylandmatters kinda sent me here for clarification or advice. The first one I looked up by lat and long was not what I could tell was anything resembeling what the photo depicted. The second was in the middle of what I did consider mining area since not too far away was in fact lode and placer claims listed. My question is what I'm I missing as far as the scam? This group touts been working scouting and claiming for years and this is the one for you. Are they that bold to scam someone thinking that a person wouldn't check the area out at least on the records. What is general knowledge about this kind of deal?

Upvote 0

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't even think of buying a claim off of Ebay. I personally know of people getting burned because the claims were not really claims.
I would NOT go on Ebay to do anything about claim sales! The abuse of such sales is catastrophic. I would offer this suggestion for anyone wanting to acquire a gold claim. Go ahead and get on LandMatters......check out the areas using the google or topo maps for mining claims. More often than not you will see open areas that are not shown to be claimed. Landmatters also has the Claims Advantage reports that allow for further initial investigation. If you see an open area on the map; you can investigate further (State Land Office if necessary) and after insuring the area you want to prospect is not claimed; go prospect and sample it. If you are in an area that does not show any mining/mineral claims, then you could go prospect it and sample for mineral....without much further investigation. Most often....boots on the ground will show if "claims" exist in the area.
Just forget EBAY. One might consider the purchase of a claim from someone who has had the claim for many years and can show values obtained.....and allow you the opportunity to sample it as well.....and even then things can be mis-represented if you fail to be prudent.

Bejay

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ebay + Gold Claim = No Gold for you. :skullflag:

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have been using LandMatters then you are halfway to having your own claim. A lot of ground has opened up do your homework and prosper.

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Two scammers I know of are a Mr Wiest and Mr cyros (SP?). They both stake claims where there are no minerals.
They have multiple gold claims in Colorado complete with no gold. Cyros wears a fake fed uniform and says he is from dept of land transfer haha.

Last edited:

crusty

Jan 8, 2015
Falcon CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Angus Macgirk Alaskan Flare & Grub Stake
10" Dream mat sluice
Bazooka 36" Prospector
Keene Highbanker/2.5" dredge with GH matting
Keene 3 stage 4" dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Only thing getting mined off eBay is miners

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

RobertF

Jan 19, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Two scammers I know of are a Mr Wiest and Mr cyros (SP?). They both stake claims where there are no minerals.
They have multiple gold claims in Colorado complete with no gold. Cyros wears a fake fed uniform and says he is from dept of land transfer haha.

Ah Mr Wiest... I know a couple of people who own claims bought from him. All advertised as gold mines, one was in a lead/silver district and the other was in a copper area. Neither person has found a speck of gold on their claims.

And the Dept of Land Transfer dude, yikes. I've seen his videos before on Facebook, talk about walking a fine line between impersonating a government employee or not! Look a like uniform, duty belt, two way radio, etc...

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Buying a claim sight unseen and untested is like buying a car without a test drive.

OP
OP
B

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I wasn't seriously thinking about buying just researching it. I copied the coordinates listed and plugged them in to see aproxamitly where they were in relation to where relatives live in Arizona. I was surprised the photo listed and where the locations show on map are different. I would never think about sight unseen buying anything.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fool and his money are soon parted. Just paper hangers at work who never even saw the property by in large. No not never. John

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
even real claims in placer gold bearing areas might not be worth buying....
caveat emptor on anyone advertising "no looky-loos" for what they're selling.
if they're willing to let you prospect the claim, albeit with a retainer fee, it could be legit...do a thourough exploration of the claim, salting is a common enough practice in this biz..all you need is a small amount of placer gold and a shotgun.

most claims being sold, IMNSHO, are worked out.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
E-Bay and Craigs list are a scammers dream. Using these (as well as other publications) they prey on the unknowing greenhorns with dreams of hitting it big. These types of buyers are usually people with a bad case of "The Fever" and no real knowledge of how to locate and file their own claim(s). They think that buying a claim from "An Old Timer" is a sure thing. The only problem with this kind of thinking is that a real Old Timer with a good claim isn't going to be giving it up and I think that if he was so inclined, he's sell it off to a friend instead of some gall-durned greenhorn that's still wet behind the ears. (It's a miners pride thing. ;) )

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing I would add is that if you have the time and money you could go out and do sampling with the owners permission. Granted there is salting and all that. Realistically buying anything on Ebay is a gamble. The more business they have done and the higher the seller rating the more likely you are to get what you paid for. I know buying anything online is a stressful ordeal to me. Really happy with my gear from scuba.com btw, LOL

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Never EVER buy a claim that you have not sampled/tested in person. If the seller refuses to allow you to sample/test then run away as fast as you can! If the "owner" will only allow you to sample in certain areas, run away even faster! Even though it is supposed to be a valid claim, do your due diligence as if you were locating it yourself. If the name on the LR2000 records don't match up with the paperwork, that's a good indicator that there is a scam in the works.

Here's a nice little trick that Clay taught me a couple of years ago. When accessing the LR2000 records from the Land Matters site, the first page that comes up is a condensed form. Look at the top of the page and you should see a PDF link. Click on that and it will open up the full records. This is how I found out about the invalid status of over twenty 160 acre claims in my area. Hard to have a 160 acre claim with only one person!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EZ pz GI when they don't know what the heck their doing. Legal locations are getting fewer and fewer. sad-John

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not E-Bay. If there is a mining shop somewhere, sometimes there are claim's for sale, or perhaps a copy of "Mining Journal", Never E-bay. I say this as a claim owner.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
EZ pz GI when they don't know what the heck their doing. Legal locations are getting fewer and fewer. sad-John

Good point Hoser. Many of these young whipper snappers are from the instant gratification generation. They want it all and they want it now! Of course in some areas like Commiefornia the BLM is so far behind on getting information posted to the LR2000 it's almost impossible to get accurate information to plug into your research. Many seem to be scared to go to the county recorders office and look it up. (Maybe it's all those traffic tickets?)

In many areas the records are so messed up you have to be a major detective to figure out what's really up just so you can C.Y.A. anymore. Between over filling, back dating, and a lack of will to do anything about fraudulent claims it makes me want to move to Peru or something. Just kidding of course! My Spanish sux!!!

OP
OP
B

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not entertaining the idea of buying just was surprised at the outright fraud and wondered why no one has reported it to Ebay.

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The technique used by the dirty dogs is to float the claim at the county recorder every 90 days until they get a buyer. Then they go to BLM and pay the fees.
So you will never see these paper claims listed on LR2000 until they get sold. Its dirty but its legal still.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing I would add is that if you have the time and money you could go out and do sampling with the owners permission. Granted there is salting and all that. Realistically buying anything on Ebay is a gamble. The more business they have done and the higher the seller rating the more likely you are to get what you paid for. I know buying anything online is a stressful ordeal to me. Really happy with my gear from scuba.com btw, LOL
Now a days the ebay seller ratings don't mean a thing. It is nearly impossible to put a negative comment on a seller. You have to jump through so many hoops to do so most give up. So needless to say everyone has a good rating.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread