Family Heirloom Chair research

cterry3100

Feb 27, 2016
Central, Ms
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to date this family chair and identify the initial owner. I know it goes back at least 3 generations. Based upon similar style chairs I’ve seen in dated photos, I’m thinking mid to late 19th century. The maker appears to be DD Son of Mascoutah, Illinois. Any help would be appreciated, or a recommendation on research resources.
IMG_8435.jpeg
IMG_8434.jpeg
IMG_8435.jpeg
IMG_8434.jpeg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if the info on the bottom is the maker and maybe shipping info to that person who it was going to. It looks like the type of labeling that they'd did on merchandise being transported on a riverboats and railroads in the 19th century. My thoughts are it's Victorian style and guessing it was made in the 1870s. Some might call it Eastlake design.

OP
OP
cterry3100

cterry3100

Feb 27, 2016
Central, Ms
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if the info on the bottom is the maker and maybe shipping info to that person who it was going to. It looks like the type of labeling that they'd did on merchandise being transported on a riverboats and railroads in the 19th century. My thoughts are it's Victorian style and guessing it was made in the 1870s. Some might call it Eastlake design.
Thank you. I have numerous family photos from that era with similar chairs, just not that specific one. I am working on matching up family heirlooms with specific individuals or most likely. Pretty sure I have this one figured out if dates work out. He settled in Arkansas from Indiana following the Civil War.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread