Famous metal Detecting Authors and Finding a Gold Coin

Z

ZumbroKid

This is something I've wondered about and was shocked to learn. I live just a few miles from Thomas P. Terry, the author of many treasure hunting books. I once asked him how many gold coins he found. His answerer was never found one. Surprised me due this was my treasure hunting hero who inspired me to get into this hobby.
Now i wonder if anyone has any info on some of the others, did they ever find a gold coin. Garrett? Dick Stout? Karl Mueller? Jimmy Sierra had some cache finds that i heard of. Anybody know the actual facts on this?

Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Jimmy Sierra found some of the Goat doctors Cache's. I have the story around here somewhere, I'll try and dig it up.

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

Sierra got two caches did he not both on Holloween.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I THought they were Silver Dollars ?

& IF I'm not Mistaken a Construction Crew Found the First Cache, & then he came in & Found the others.

It's Been awhile Since I read the story tho.

Diamond Spike

Jan 26, 2005
Alabama
Jeff your right the workers found the first cache. Jimmy and a group of detectorest were contracted for
a limited time to detect. The group found some of the caches. When the groups time was up the owner had a bulldozer take off about 8inch's to a foot of the soil and found the rest of the caches.
All silver dollars if memories service me correct.

Diamond Spike

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Charles Garrett has travelled all over the world TH'ing caches. He has found some caches of silver and mentions being on a 'team' that has found gold coins and bars. His book 'Caches Can Still be Found' is well worth reading. Order direct from the factory.

Dick Stout has found his share of nice coins. I'm not sure if he found a gold coin or not.

I've met them both and they are really good guys for this hobby. :)

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
I have several of Garretts treasure films and I believe he is a treasure hunter extrordanar. I know him, Roy Lagal, monty Moncrief and some others have found some real treasures over the years. I used to have all of karl Von Mueller's books but sold them all years ago in a yard sale. I don't know if Karl has found a lot but i think he found a few caches but kept his mouth shut which is the smart thing to do. Just my 2 cents

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread