Farm fields are boring, BUT.............

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes you can pull a few keepers. Got permission to hit a farm field that was just tilled. I'm not big on farm fields. Give me an old home, woods or an old park that has been "hunted out". Got a few of my worst pieces today in the form of a draped bust large cent, matron head large cent and an 1876 seated dime. The matron head is 1817. Not sure on the draped bust. These coins are all toasted, even the dime which is a bit unusual. I still like finding old coins and I'm thankful for what I found. I know a lot of people detecting have never found any of these and would be thrilled. HH

DSC_0474 obv.jpg DSC_0467 rev.jpg

Upvote 29

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like seeing coins I'll never find... Good job by you!

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems to me farm fields are not boring - CONGARTS on your coin finds & thanks for sharing the pictures with us. Wish you many more great finds.

Texas ED

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im beginning to like farm fields best. Peace and quiet. Dont have to be neat with the digging and the finds are usually near the surface. Nice hunt

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice coin finds, Congratualtions!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PM me next time you get bored and I'll give you a break! Nice finds!

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nicedigs don but I get the farm thing everything is toasted that fertilizer really does a job on them I'm surprised about the silver being so badly etched. But seated do e and two identifiable coins is a good day. Hh gl

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know, I think I'm "hearing" a little of what we all sort of feel from time to time. We work so hard to find something really nice and old. Then, sometimes, when we do, it has deteriorated so badly that it's barely recognizable. On one hand we are very, very grateful for finding anything that old! On the other, it is sooooo frustrating/depressing for it to be in such bad condition.

Makes me wonder sometimes if we aren't approaching a time limit of some sort. Where even the best metals will be to badly oxidized. And, just about when I'm at my lowest point, thinking about giving up. BEEP! Ya know? :dontknow:

I don't have any solution for the feeling. But, I suspect that maybe remembering some of the better finds that have been made, might help.

Congrats on bringing back to light some things that were last touched a very long time ago.

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doesn't get much better than that... no kids out in the field either

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im beginning to like farm fields best. Peace and quiet. Dont have to be neat with the digging and the finds are usually near the surface. Nice hunt

I'm with Toasted - just zone out and process the beeping in your brain! I can dig to China and not worry about it and I had two surface finds last week pre-1800.

OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nicedigs don but I get the farm thing everything is toasted that fertilizer really does a job on them I'm surprised about the silver being so badly etched. But seated do e and two identifiable coins is a good day. Hh gl

I was surprised by the seated dime also. It was heavily scratched on both side as well as pitted with some iron adhering. Sure glad it wasn't my first seated dime. I would have been quite disappointed.

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great coins. Farm fields are nice, but unfortunately fertilizer kills copper coins, and can even blast silver too. I try and find fields that used to be farmed before industrial fertilizer was around. It's amazing at the difference in quality as opposed to field coins that are still being farmed and peppered with fert. But obviously, those are tough to find, and have been pounded. Anyways, thanks for sharing. Still great finds that needed saving. Cheers.

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
with the dime you can try putting a piece of aluminum foil in the bottom of a glass bowel
add about 3 tablespoons of baking soda
cover with very hot water
place dime on the foil and wait for the water to cool down
see if that cleans it up

as for farm fields being boring
i love them

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coins. Everyone has their own opinion, but I like the farm fields. Yes the coppers can be rough, but the silvers & relics can counteract that. I hunt them exclusively from harvest to planting. Maybe its because I also like the peace and quiet of the country surroundings. No people for the most part & I can just enjoy the hobby without interruption. I also enjoy the research of finding where the old schoolhouses & homesteads were once located.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm the complete opposite. Give me a farm field over a yard,park or wood.

anyways, nice bunch of older coins.

OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice coins. Everyone has their own opinion, but I like the farm fields. Yes the coppers can be rough, but the silvers & relics can counteract that. I hunt them exclusively from harvest to planting. Maybe its because I also like the peace and quiet of the country surroundings. No people for the most part & I can just enjoy the hobby without interruption. I also enjoy the research of finding where the old schoolhouses & homesteads were once located.

It's not exactly that I don't like farm fields, it's just there's so few signals. I have some great old parks to go to where it's a challenge to pull stuff where others have been pounding for years. Pulled over 60 Indians and 3 seated dimes that way so far this year. Last year I pulled my first gold coin, and three cent silver from one of these parks. Farm fields can provide unhunted areas and some great finds, but can be a bit boring if you going a half hour between digable signals.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like farm fields most days except for that corn stubble can be pretty rough to swing the coil over. Even though your coins are toasted you can at least see what they are. Congrats on the coppers and silver.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best cracked die, 1811, large cent, came from the front garden of a 300 acre farm in Columbia County, N.Y.
Maybe they don't use serious fertilizer in their own gardens.
Congrats on your finds.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread