Farm fields are boring, BUT.............

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes you can pull a few keepers. Got permission to hit a farm field that was just tilled. I'm not big on farm fields. Give me an old home, woods or an old park that has been "hunted out". Got a few of my worst pieces today in the form of a draped bust large cent, matron head large cent and an 1876 seated dime. The matron head is 1817. Not sure on the draped bust. These coins are all toasted, even the dime which is a bit unusual. I still like finding old coins and I'm thankful for what I found. I know a lot of people detecting have never found any of these and would be thrilled. HH

DSC_0474 obv.jpg DSC_0467 rev.jpg

Upvote 29

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO THUGS, URCHINS, SNOOPS and lots of quiet time. just be wary of bears, turkeys, killdeers and coyotes. gotta go----back to the field in Kingston, NY for more relics and Colonial. love your seated!!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey excellent hunt man! Nice array of finds. Beauty seated and Draped bust

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm with Cru, would rather hunt farm fields any day over woods or parks. We've been blessed to have several sites in farm fields that produced some great finds. Soft easy diggin dirt, no roots and no on lookers! Our last field you didn't even need a shovel! Nice coins even in that shape! Congrats

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hit more farm fields if there were more farm fields close by, but they are not and the woods are. :) Anyway, how many complete shoe buckles are found in farm fields compared to sites in the woods. :) Also, a lot of the wooded sites now were small farm fields back in the 1700- to mid 1800s. A lot of the other farms in the area were not farms until 1860s and later.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hit more farm fields if there were more farm fields close by, but they are not and the woods are. :) Anyway, how many complete shoe buckles are found in farm fields compared to sites in the woods. :) Also, a lot of the wooded sites now were small farm fields back in the 1700- to mid 1800s. A lot of the other farms in the area were not farms until 1860s and later.

If I could find a wood with Roman stuff, I would be in there in a shot - only ever found 1.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that farm fields can give you some wonderful finds. My 2 oldest coins came from fields and it is very hard to pass up a hunt in them. I have found 2 out of 3 of your coins but a seated anything is still waiting for me.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great old coins. It definitely looks like your boredom came to a nice end.
Congrats.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that farm fields can give you some wonderful finds. My 2 oldest coins came from fields and it is very hard to pass up a hunt in them. I have found 2 out of 3 of your coins but a seated anything is still waiting for me.

I love finding seated. I've been lucky to find a seated half dollar and half dime over the last couple of years to add to my collection. Although I don't have expectations to find one, I only need a seated dollar to complete the set.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's only boring until something cool turns up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread