Farm finds 12-14 (why so much Rhyolite??)

Mudonmyshoes

Jul 16, 2008
My son (Brep-Bret) and I finally got out again to the farm we are guessing was a camp. The field is plowed and like Molly said it has rained for days. Once again we found quite a bit of flaking and chips (Rhyolite over a hundred pieces, some rather large), a Guilford, two bases, and a tip. My question is, why so much pieces of Rhyolite and not more artifacts? We are new to hunting (started in June). We have found over 1,100 pieces of chips but only about 20 points (broken and whole). Why so much large pieces that are not utilized? I thought Native Americans used everything they could especially when bring in materials from far away.

I have included pics of the farm (most of the material was found on the highest point in the pic-all in about 1/2 acre area), the Guilford, two bases and a point, some of the large pieces of Rhyolite, and all the chips we found.
Please, any info is appreciated. Thanks.....Mud

Attachments

• farmpic.JPG
    farmpic.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 555
  • pieces2.JPG
    pieces2.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 541
  • pieces1.JPG
    pieces1.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 531
  • Rhyolite1.JPG
    Rhyolite1.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 559
  • bases.JPG
    bases.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 543
  • point.JPG
    point.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 556
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mudonmyshoes

Jul 16, 2008

Attachments

• quart2.JPG
    quart2.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 266
  • blade.JPG
    blade.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 278
  • unknown3.JPG
    unknown3.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 278
  • unknown2.JPG
    unknown2.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 260
  • Unkown.JPG
    Unkown.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 279
  • ax1.JPG
    ax1.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 309
  • all4.JPG
    all4.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 265
  • all3.JPG
    all3.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 285
  • all2.JPG
    all2.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 302
  • all.JPG
    all.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 278
  • quartz1.JPG
    quartz1.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 270
OP
OP
M

Mudonmyshoes

Jul 16, 2008
ink-a-alot said:
Mudonmyshoes said:
GL,

All our stuff has the dark centers...green, blue, gray, etc....
lots of real crude ones, guss that's when they were just starting out..
Crude and most of it looks the same. It is interesting though after a rain because the Rhyolite color really sticks out..but after they dry out the bright color disappears...

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ink, I'm not sure what you mean by them just starting out? :icon_scratch:

What NC (New) collectors have to realise is these arrows & spear points have been in the soil for many many years, they change colour, they kinda get a crude crust on them. If you study the inside of a broken rhyolite point, the material is quite nice, smooth often good in colouring. That's what the points looked like when first knapped. I am going to send off a peice of rhyolite get it knapped, so I can show ya'll an example of just how nice this material can be, (of course I would put the hammer to it once I have pics ;D)...

As I have stated before blades/knives were crudely made, but I have some beautifully knapped points, the Person county Indians were artists just like all the other cultures. I just wish i could find more Jasper & chalcedony.

Mud, look forwards to the hunt, hopefully we will find more whole points. That top pic, if thats all off the same field, I would say you are on or very near the campsite. Can't wait to take a look around. ;D

Thanks for a great Thread Guys. :)

Molly.

ink-a-alot

Dec 14, 2008
East Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molly said:
Ink, I'm not sure what you mean by them just starting out? :icon_scratch:

What NC (New) collectors have to realise is these arrows & spear points have been in the soil for many many years, they change colour, they kinda get a crude crust on them. If you study the inside of a broken rhyolite point, the material is quite nice, smooth often good in colouring. That's what the points looked like when first knapped. I am going to send off a peice of rhyolite get it knapped, so I can show ya'll an example of just how nice this material can be, (of course I would put the hammer to it once I have pics ;D)...

As I have stated before blades/knives were crudely made, but I have some beautifully knapped points, the Person county Indians were artists just like all the other cultures. I just wish i could find more Jasper & chalcedony.

Mud, look forwards to the hunt, hopefully we will find more whole points. That top pic, if thats all off the same field, I would say you are on or very near the campsite. Can't wait to take a look around. ;D

Thanks for a great Thread Guys. :)

Molly.
:icon_jokercolor: I ment that the indians were just starting to learn how to make points, i keep all my crude points, i even made a display case full of them to show friends the evolution of the point and flint tools, what he has found is in my opion real old archaic points. their in a class of their own,,, cool finds by the way..

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankyou, I like them. I don't think they just started learning, they had camped on this ground right from Early-Late Archaic. Its just down to the materials & aging.

I would like to see your case..

Molly.

ink-a-alot

Dec 14, 2008
East Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molly said:
Thankyou, I like them. I don't think they just started learning, they had camped on this ground right from Early-Late Archaic. Its just down to the materials & aging.

I would like to see your case..

Molly.
sure when santa brings me camera this year i will show some.lol i keep all flint chipings broken potery, i love hunting arrowheads! Its alot of work if dig and it sucks when they plow up fields today cuzz they aare more likely to be broken.. back in the day farmers would use a turning plow that would dig deaper than a disc today, my dad would tell me about how when he found a point in his childhood he would shoot it with his old sling shot across a field,, back then folks didnt care much about arrowheads.lol.. i find it's much more eay to hunt lakes and creeks. molly do you have a callection of your finds? and ifso how could i check um out on here? i would love to c everyones old post on here, thanks ink..one more thing i bet you, that he has not found any broken potery at that place, why becouse it's an early pieriod before they started to make clay pots. ihave a place i go to alot and and their is flint all over the place, so i dugg up on an high bluff obove the creek and i only found one rim that came off a bowl and even then it was to me crude.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mud, If I was you I would repost the 'Unknown' So everyone will see it. Some guys on here are very good at iding stones.

Molly.

Mud, looks like you and your boy are off to a great start. I cant tell you any more than what Molly has said. She knows her stuff, especially about yalls area.
I feel that ink is right, you have a broken celt or some type of polished tool there, and it does look like you got a lot of butchering tools there.

OP
OP
M

Mudonmyshoes

Jul 16, 2008
Thanks JR...Like I said we are new and want to learn as much as possible, that's why we ask so many questions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread