Farmyard Finds (First Post)

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
Hi everybody. I've been lurking for a few months and really enjoying the finds and the discussions here, so much so that I finally broke down and bought an Ace 250 a few weeks ago.
After reading the manual and thinking a bit, I realized the natural place to start would be on my parent's farm. Their house was built in 1904 and I knew from helping my dad with construction projects and gardening that the ground is filled with junk just about anywhere you happen to dig.
Below are photos of some of my more interesting finds. Of the buckles, the best is the rectangular brownish one- it is marked " silver plate" and "Giant Grip" and the patent number is even noted. I researched then patent and found it was granted in 1918 for the particular type of closure which was sold under the Giant Grip trademark. The buckle likely dates to the 1920's.
The there are the two pocketknives and the two identical locks which were not found in the same place. My favorite though is the hitching post ring which I found near the road just a few feet from the mailbox.
The pocket watch and gold plated wristwatch were surprising finds.
The button was found under the limbs of a fig tree about fifty feet from the back porch. I got a coin signal and about 4 inches down a button suddenly popped into the air. I knew it was something good right away. As you can see, it is a brass, 2 piece Scovill button. I know nothing about buttons, but my research on the web leads me to believe that it is a Marine Corps button. I found many iterations of this design stretching back to the early 1800's, but nothing that matches my button exactly. I checked local libraries but was unable to procure a button reference book. If any button experts could help me with identification and dating, I would be very appreciative.
Finally, the very nice scraper was an "incidental find" when I was digging some deep junk-about 10 inches. It is quartz, and quite skillfully designed. There is a curvature where the thumb is to be placed, and a beveled edge on which to position a curled index finger. Gouge marks are apparent on the bevel. The cutting edge is still very sharp. As there are no quartz deposits anywhere nearby, (North Florida) the material must have been traded for with people further north.
I've also found a few wheaties, but surprisingly no silver yet. My dad has in the past found a 1960 Washington quarter and a 1944 Mercury when just randomly digging in the yard, so I know it's here somewhere

Attachments

• buckle relics.JPG
    buckle relics.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 857
  • farm treasures 005.jpg
    farm treasures 005.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 842
  • watch relics.JPG
    watch relics.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 825
  • Button Front.JPG
    Button Front.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 836
  • button.JPG
    button.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 838
  • farm treasures 008.jpg
    farm treasures 008.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 818
Upvote 0

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Interesting finds! Congrats, and welcome to the TN forum! I am not familiar with your finds (different paths), but post the ones you want more info on in the "What Is It" forum. Lots of knowledgeable people to help you out! Thanks for your post! -Noodle

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to tn and thats a great start, if you found all of that just a little deeper you should find the coins

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to have another member on board........ ;D

I found one of those hitching post things myself....I didn't know what it was until I saw you pics....

Now I'll call it a " hitching post thing " , keep diggin that farm.... :thumbsup:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
wow, if you just started and found that stuff already then you will probably find lots more...what a great site to be able to hunt. My first home site was a 1900 house and it was full of old coins. hope yours is too!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. The long buckle is actually a musket sling buckle. Found one earlier this yr. CONGRATS....Hogge :thumbsup:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice button. Scoville waterbury conn. Type it in on yahoo and you can match it up. I found a civil war button and did the same thing. Welcome and congrats. :thumbsup:

USMCLion

Feb 15, 2008
The button is a Marine Corps button from an Alpha's Jacket. Tough to date but probably somewhere around the time the house was built.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
USMCLion said:
The button is a Marine Corps button from an Alpha's Jacket. Tough to date but probably somewhere around the time the house was built.

The backmark indicates that it dates between 1850 and 1865. Nice find!

-Buckleboy

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is one sweet looking Marine button! Congratulations. The ringed thing appears to be part of a horse bit.

Steve

Mar 1, 2007
Griffith Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXlll
Congrats on some sweet finds and welcome to the forum and the addiction er I mean the hobby! Now you do know there are alot of places you have to cover on a farm! Right? cover every square inch! even the inside of the barn and other out buildings, if the house has a dirt cellar get that to!!!!! Good luck, QUICKSILVER(appletree)

cammobunker

May 27, 2008
NW Ar-kan-saw
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Mojave, Cibola. Deteknix Pinpointer. Mark I Mod 0 eyeball, too.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
USMCLion said:

-Buckleboy

I must respectfully disagree with the date. The back mark aside for a moment, the front is certainly not Civil War but most likely WW1-to sometime in the late 1930's. Careful inspection of both will reveal a difference in the rope loop that hangs beneath the right hand crossbar thingy (properly called the stock) on the anchor. On Civil War buttons the rope heads right around the back of the anchor, but on the WW1-era button forms a definite hanging loop. As to the back mark, the button shows a definite "dot" at either end of "Waterbury", whereas to my knowledge the Civil War buttons would show a star there.

Still a most excellent find though!

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
cammobunker said:
BuckleBoy said:
USMCLion said:

-Buckleboy

I must respectfully disagree with the date. The back mark aside for a moment, the front is certainly not Civil War but most likely WW1-to sometime in the late 1930's. Careful inspection of both will reveal a difference in the rope loop that hangs beneath the right hand crossbar thingy (properly called the stock) on the anchor. On Civil War buttons the rope heads right around the back of the anchor, but on the WW1-era button forms a definite hanging loop. As to the back mark, the button shows a definite "dot" at either end of "Waterbury", whereas to my knowledge the Civil War buttons would show a star there.

Still a most excellent find though!

Great Button Find! :thumbsup: I only have one Marine button.

However, I tend to agree with cammobunker. I actually think it is post Civil War (after 1870 anyway).

Comparing the front of the button to photos in "Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons Bicentennial Edition By Alphaeus H. Albert", it looks to be MC14 (2 piece with border and low convex) on page 111.

The backmark, while having some of the same criteria as the earlier backmarks does not have the indented/ dotted ring around the depression for the shank. After reading descriptions and the eyeballing photos in my reference book, "American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks and Dates by William F. McGuinn and Bruce S. Bazelon", the backmark would fall in the 1870-1890 range.

Of course, this is only my opinion.

w

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread