Farmyard Finds (First Post)

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
Hi everybody. I've been lurking for a few months and really enjoying the finds and the discussions here, so much so that I finally broke down and bought an Ace 250 a few weeks ago.
After reading the manual and thinking a bit, I realized the natural place to start would be on my parent's farm. Their house was built in 1904 and I knew from helping my dad with construction projects and gardening that the ground is filled with junk just about anywhere you happen to dig.
Below are photos of some of my more interesting finds. Of the buckles, the best is the rectangular brownish one- it is marked " silver plate" and "Giant Grip" and the patent number is even noted. I researched then patent and found it was granted in 1918 for the particular type of closure which was sold under the Giant Grip trademark. The buckle likely dates to the 1920's.
The there are the two pocketknives and the two identical locks which were not found in the same place. My favorite though is the hitching post ring which I found near the road just a few feet from the mailbox.
The pocket watch and gold plated wristwatch were surprising finds.
The button was found under the limbs of a fig tree about fifty feet from the back porch. I got a coin signal and about 4 inches down a button suddenly popped into the air. I knew it was something good right away. As you can see, it is a brass, 2 piece Scovill button. I know nothing about buttons, but my research on the web leads me to believe that it is a Marine Corps button. I found many iterations of this design stretching back to the early 1800's, but nothing that matches my button exactly. I checked local libraries but was unable to procure a button reference book. If any button experts could help me with identification and dating, I would be very appreciative.
Finally, the very nice scraper was an "incidental find" when I was digging some deep junk-about 10 inches. It is quartz, and quite skillfully designed. There is a curvature where the thumb is to be placed, and a beveled edge on which to position a curled index finger. Gouge marks are apparent on the bevel. The cutting edge is still very sharp. As there are no quartz deposits anywhere nearby, (North Florida) the material must have been traded for with people further north.
I've also found a few wheaties, but surprisingly no silver yet. My dad has in the past found a 1960 Washington quarter and a 1944 Mercury when just randomly digging in the yard, so I know it's here somewhere

Attachments

• buckle relics.JPG
    buckle relics.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 858
  • farm treasures 005.jpg
    farm treasures 005.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 843
  • watch relics.JPG
    watch relics.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 826
  • Button Front.JPG
    Button Front.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 837
  • button.JPG
    button.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 839
  • farm treasures 008.jpg
    farm treasures 008.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 819
Upvote 0

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Gribnitz said:
MC-010 1850-1865

I dunno...the rope is different and the anchor points are different on the MC10 compared to his photo. :dontknow:
You really gotta look at the subtleties.

w

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I was thinking MC-010 as well...but on closer look it doesn't appear to be. Sorry for the misinformation.

Regards,

Buckles

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
wildrider said:
Gribnitz said:
MC-010 1850-1865

I dunno...the rope is different and the anchor points are different on the MC10 compared to his photo. :dontknow:
You really gotta look at the subtleties.

w

Yup, you're right. There are some others that have the same look, but the backmark is different. Amazing how many variations there are, but at least the backmark gives you a date range.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
That's whats great about this site. Each individual gives an effort trying to get to the bottom of all IDs and we all learn something from it.

Lots of times I just sit back and learn.

Now, if it were my button and I wanted to know a more exact time period, I'd try to find who it probably belonged to and see when they served. That would surely narrow it down even more.

Now lets go try to ID more relics :wink:

OP
OP
MrBling

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
Thanks everyone for the nice welcomes and the information.
I agree the button is difficult to date because there were so many subtle variations on this particular design.
I guess the consensus is late 19th-early 20th century, which is what I had suspected as well. Thanks you guys for looking it up.
And Hogge, thanks for the call on the musket sling buckle. I knew it was something old and good, I just couldn't figure out what it was! It's in really nice condition, too.
I'm looking forward to future discussions with everybody.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread