faster recovery on the V3i?

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looking for programming ways to increase the recovery time of the V3i.

Pretty much a quicker recovery from hitting target-to-target.

If you put ......nail-quarter-nail-quarter-nail-quarter-nail... 4 nails and 3 quarters less than an inch apart, in a line... as if in the ground and a trash example... and swept the 10"DD coil over them in a normal semi-fast sweep.... a program that will pick and chime on each nail and quarter as it passes over.... it will hit on each quarter....

ideas?....

thanks in advance!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Under your "Filter/Speed", adjust your "Recovery". Lower the number to make faster. However, when you do this you are also giving the it less process time to analyze received signals. Just have to find what speed works best for you.
I think I run mine at about 55-60.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
That is indeed the way to get a faster "read" on close target like those mentioned, but you just don't get the solid tones from the V3i like say, with an M6 or an XP Deus. I wish it was that simple, but dropping the recovery number(increasing the response speed) in the V3i is a messy way to try and equal a good, fast machine and get distinct tones at the same time. The only way to get great tones on the V3i is to run an RD slow enough for the circuitry to "hang onto" the data longer. The M6 does it all...fast RD and good tones. You can't swing that machine fast enough to confuse it.

Targets placed an inch apart as mentioned can't hardly be detected with decent tones with the V3i, and especially not at RD settings 55-60. It will have to be way lower, say 10-20 and then you sacrifice tone integrity. martin

Under your "Filter/Speed", adjust your "Recovery". Lower the number to make faster. However, when you do this you are also giving the it less process time to analyze received signals. Just have to find what speed works best for you.
I think I run mine at about 55-60.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is indeed the way to get a faster "read" on close target like those mentioned, but you just don't get the solid tones from the V3i like say, with an M6 or an XP Deus. I wish it was that simple, but dropping the recovery number(increasing the response speed) in the V3i is a messy way to try and equal a good, fast machine and get distinct tones at the same time. The only way to get great tones on the V3i is to run an RD slow enough for the circuitry to "hang onto" the data longer. The M6 does it all...fast RD and good tones. You can't swing that machine fast enough to confuse it.

Targets placed an inch apart as mentioned can't hardly be detected with decent tones with the V3i, and especially not at RD settings 55-60. It will have to be way lower, say 10-20 and then you sacrifice tone integrity. martin

Agreed!

When I first got my VX3 the recovery speed was one of the first things I played with in an effort to match my MXT/P. Not gunna happen! Not with any kind of integrity & consistency anyway.
I see most people run their "Recovery" in the 80-90 range. That seemed too slow for me.(one reason I traded off the e-trac was for how slow it is) Settings in the 10-30 range just didn't pick up the signals well enough for me to be comfortable with. My compromise is in the 50-60's. Maybe after I clean out some of my haunts, I'll go back and crank the recovery up to the 90's and slow down.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No way will you be able to separate them at less than an inch with the V3i and a 10" DD. You will have a possibility using the 4x6 shooter but you will have to slow the swing way down.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
u guys should try the 10 or 12.5 filter and see they will allow faster sweep speeds and faster recovery?

FreeMindStuck

Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn locktrac on. And reground balance every twenty minutes or so. Not having autotrac on will free up the processor a bit. I also would try opening the discrimination almost completely and running custom audio with iron at 5. That will produce a clicking sound for iron. I only discriminate out -88 to -95 (vdi range of my soil) And sometimes +95 which is the I don't know what it is vdi for the v3i.

Mortamus

Jun 9, 2012
Southern Callie
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always use the 4x6 and the 6x10 in any park

I only use and rare that I do at all the 10'dd is only good for the beach...and other type areas...

Believe me it makes a huge difference on this machine...the V3i is a machine that if you know how it will do anything for you..

When the V3i Speaks I listen....

FreeMindStuck

Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always use the 4x6 and the 6x10 in any park

I only use and rare that I do at all the 10'dd is only good for the beach...and other type areas...

Believe me it makes a huge difference on this machine...the V3i is a machine that if you know how it will do anything for you..

When the V3i Speaks I listen....

The 4x6 and 6x10 dd coils are both good coils. But I disagree with your assessment of the 10" dd stock coil. It has excellent separation for such a large coil. And frankly you are missing the deeper targets at the parks you hunt if all you use are the 6x10 and 4x6. If I have any complaints about the stock coil it would be that it is to sensitive to emi and iron compared to the concentric coils whites offers.

OP
OP
Viddy

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the V3i to replace my Etrac.... and it seems the V3i recovery speed is as bad as the Etrac. I run an AT Pro as my back up. the AT Pro, on Pro mode... SMOKES them both on recovery speed SO bad it's not even funny! I am actually speechless and I made a video of the nail-coin-nail-coin-nail etc.... and the AT Pro hammered them! but the Etrac and V3i were almost embarrassing missing... inconsistent... maybe got them not on the pass....etc...

mandad76

Jun 26, 2008
BAYTOWN, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
SPECTRA V3i/BHID 300
Good gb - locktrac - higher filter - high pass(if possible) - lower rd......if you're still not gettin' results you're lookin' for.......little slower sweep speed and/or smaller elliptical dd coil....hope ya get 'er workin' for ya.....gl and hh!!!!

OP
OP
Viddy

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
filter change and lower RD make a HUGE difference in recovery speed. I think it loses some depth and accuracy on the TDI, but with the 10" coil it's so much faster.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread