Fat Quarter??

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I stopped at a fast food place a few days ago and as usual pay those bills with half dollar coins, some times get funny looks, and then sometimes get stupid questions. This young lady took the 13 coins I put on the counter and she picked one up, looked at it closely and said, is this a fat quarter? I said I never heard it called that before, but I suppose it could be a fat quarter, as it is worth 2 quarters, she said how much is that? I said 50 cents, she said each? I said, yes, that is why for my $6.35 order, I gave you 13 coins. Oh, I guess that make sense she said......I got my meal and 15 cents. Thought it was another funny story.

Upvote 0

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or a sad story however you look at it....blame the education system

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't say I've heard that one before. I've heard "We only accept real money here.", "Oh these are the really old dollar coins.", "What the crap is this?", and my favorite, "HEY! These are silver and worth a whole lot of money! Are you SURE you want to spend them???"

My reply, "Oh really? I didn't know that. I just wanted to get rid of them." There's a pizza joint around my home town where the guy likes to collect them. *poker face* 8-)

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll never forget the time I tried to pay a $31 dollar restaurant bill in two dollar bills. Believe it or not, I almost had the cops called on me for trying to pass what the cashier thought was "money that the government doesn't make." First of all *****, a private bank prints our money. Second of all, if you don't know denominations of circulating currency, you should not be a cashier. They were absolutely genuine, but this dumb **** waitress had never seen them before. The stupidity and ignorance of people sometimes is hilarious.

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Blame the parents.

Children with good parents aren't stupid, no matter what the state educational system is like.

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does that make an IKE an obese quarter or a mega quarter?

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder what they would do if you took a 3 cent piece/nickel in...(not that anyone would wanna put one into circulation). I can't even imagine what people would say.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This reminds me of the 'Buying a 99¢ taco with 1 ounce gold coin' on Youtube. I wish I was working that window, I'd have accepted it and gave him $48.9x change back.

hyperHunter

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Right on!! I gave one to a kid in my neighborhood. She was surprised to know that half dollar exists. Also told her to keep an eye for the "real" ones.

hyperHunter

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blame the parents.

Children with good parents aren't stupid, no matter what the state educational system is like.

Sometime parents have no clues. I just can't blame them. For our kids, they know how to rim search and clang test. I usually toss $10 for them to hunt down CRWs. They know how "real" money is valued. $10 of real money will buy them a lot bigger Lego set. That's how I teach them.

They are now my big competitors. Lately, I usually hear that sorryyy your kids cleaned them up couple days ago. LOL

Last edited:

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had them count the halls as dollar coins after I said it was a half dollar

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sleazyj said:
I've had them count the halls as dollar coins after I said it was a half dollar

Yep. I tell them they are halves and they just say "okay" and ring them as dollars. Makes up for any short rolls :)

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
boristhespider88 said:
Yep. I tell them they are halves and they just say "okay" and ring them as dollars. Makes up for any short rolls :)

Then that's when I'd say you made a mistake. I wouldn't intentionally defraud a cashier.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
lovewiibrew said:
Then that's when I'd say you made a mistake. I wouldn't intentionally defraud a cashier.

I don't... They just say okay and smile, or they act like they know better than me what it is. I am a cashier too... But if someone points something out to me, I fix it. They just smile and look at me like I'm dumb.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread is a little old but I have a short story. I went to a nearby restaurant yesterday and my bill was $14.03. I paid $14.50 in half dollars, counting each dollar I handed the cashier. I finally get to $14.50 and she opens the register and throws the money in. As she starts to close it, I ask, "What about my change?" She opens the register and just stares at the money. After at least 30 seconds of staring, she grabs something out of the drawer. She hands me $47 and starts to close it.

Me: "why are you giving me $47 dollars?"

her: "that isn't right?"

me: "uhm... No... Unless you were wanting to pay me $30+ dollars to eat here."

her: "huh?"

me: "uhm... Never mind. The change is supposed to be 47 cents,"

she then handed me 45 cents. *Facepalm*

People disappoint me.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
sagittarius98 said:
The thread is not old at all, I would consider it a little old after 2-3 months.

I just felt kinda bad bringing it back to the top but I didn't want to start a new thread haha. :) Thanks sagittarius98! :) :thumbsup:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I just felt kinda bad bringing it back to the top but I didn't want to start a new thread haha. :) Thanks sagittarius98! :) :thumbsup:

In a few forums, like the What is It? forum, even a 2-3 year old post is okay to revive. I would rather get an ID of the relic I found after 3 years than never {This is just hypothetical, I don't have one ID after 3 years}.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread