Favorite bank drops the F word

SilverSharpie

Mar 16, 2012
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been buying boxes of halves from my favorite bank down the street from my house for the past 5 months now. I've grown to know and like all the tellers, and also bring them donuts whenever I can. Today, I was devastated when one of the tellers told me it was gonna be a fee of $4.25 a box from now on.

This was by far my favorite bank, and they have never failed me in the past. I had a chat with the manager to confirm, and he said they were being charged by the box by the logistics service. He also said they weren't making enough money on the fees through the bank. They also got a shipment every business day, unlike any other bank in the area.

I still kinda feel lost right now. I'm grateful that they provided me with the service for as long as they did. All in all, I ordered 98 boxes of halves from them over the course of 5 months - that's $49,000 worth. They always greeted me with a smile and never charged any fees.

I had my routine going. Wake up, go to the bank, pick up and order coins, go to school, search then dump, go to work, come home. Rinse and repeat.

I've had banks cut me off before, but it never hurts as bad as your home bank. I score so little silver, if I were to pick up the fee, it wouldn't be sustainable.

Not sure what I'm going to do at this point. Suggestions?

Upvote 0

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I would suggest that you ask if there is a level of ordering (number of boxes or number of days/wk) that they could do without charging you the fee. If none, explore them as a dump outlet. Either way, if you've already spoken with the manager, keep that communication open. Ask what you can/could do differently to make it easier on them. Eg. If you change them over to a dump bank, find out how much and how often they would allow you to dump.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That stinks. I'd pay $4.25 in a heartbeat if that bank has been producing. 1 40%er would cover that. One of my banks that had good boxes just cut me off because of "fees", I asked how much they had to pay to get them, she said $45 per box. I turned and walked out.

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fee of only $4.25 is cheap. One of my banks charges a fee of $7.50 per box. But I look at it this way, if I get just 1 90% half or a couple 40% halves then I'm ahead of the game. And since I'm rarely ever skunked then its worth paying the fee. After all, it takes money to make money some times. But thank God not all banks charge fees. Also, if you're going to do business with a lot of banks its in your favor & to your best advantage to join them (become a Customer). Then you can better reap the rewards & don't forget to show your appreciation by giving the nice Tellers some cookies & donuts every now & then. And please don't bother to mark & deface coins as that is insane & idiotic IMHO. Just concentrate & work on searching through as many coins as you can as that IS the real name of the game. Orange paint? OMG give me a break!

Happy Searching dudes & dudets.

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a citibank today to order halves.. I've never ordered a box at this one, just asked for a box of dimes one time and maybe came in another to ask for loose halves. Two other branches are ordering for me, no problem... this one tried to hit me with a 20 dollar fee though! O.o I just said no thanks and walked out... I'm not paying 20 bucks per box, thats just crazy.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it ever comes to fee's per box I will have to gracefully bow out. suffering from a high teens skunk streak , found 4 or 5 silvers in a few boxes back to back and now on a streak of 14 skunked boxes. My current finds and track record wouldnt balance out the fees vs chance to find silver. I would like to take the volume up for better odds and a few more pick up banks.

I just dont have the gamblers desire to stake my hard earned money to strike it rich with the risk of no gain. Practical, freugal.... ok i pinch a penny til Abe squeals.

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sharpie, what area are you in, so I know where to stay away from.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try it! A box or 2 or 4, whatever you were getting before, try it for a couple of weeks or more if you can, then if you are realizeing a loss then walk away, (or make them a new dump bank), if you're comeing out ahead, keep at it. Just MHO, but thats what I would do if after talking with them I find there is nothing I can do to avoid the fee.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That stinks. I'd pay $4.25 in a heartbeat if that bank has been producing. 1 40%er would cover that. One of my banks that had good boxes just cut me off because of "fees", I asked how much they had to pay to get them, she said $45 per box. I turned and walked out.
Try that bank later and ask how much that seems steep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread