Fed or Armored

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up a partial 5x5x2 box (of halves) yesterday from a WF. It was missing four rolls, so they charged me $460. As I was finishing going though the top row of rolls, I noticed that there was one roll missing from bottom row and two of the shot gun rolls had been opened and re-rolled (and not very well either).

I immediately called the bank, they are going to give me back the $10 for the missing roll I paid for, but I also want to alert them that someone (Fed or armored service) is tampering with their coin.

I'll find out more when I go back there over lunch today, but I have to assume that the box was sealed when WF received it; so the tampering is upstream from there.

Any thoughts ?

BTW, the (now) 45 rolls did produced one keeper; an 90S I did not have yet.

Upvote 0

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thurmownator said:
.......one roll missing from bottom row and two of the shot gun rolls had been opened and re-rolled (and not very well either).
It could have been someone in the bank vault. Don't know where you could hide a roll of halves without it being noticed unless they took out a few at a time.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thoughts......cherry picker at the bank. Let us know what you find out after your lunch visit.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Sounds like a good mystery.

By the way-

What is a thurmownator?

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I agree, I think it's a bank employee that saw some good rolls and bought them. I don't think the armored car service sent the box that way. Even if someone from the service searched the box, they would still deliver the box with all the rolls in them, but probably opened. I'm glad you're getting your money back. I guess you have to open the boxes at the bank before you leave now, just to be safe. The bank employees have no right to search the boxes that have been special ordered for customers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread