cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably was going to steel the contents. As a whole I'm not impressed with Fedex and the quality of their workforce.
I have only had to bring in packages two times to a fed-x store. (all the other times they pick up where I work and the drivers could care less what is inside)

so the first time I go in I have a 40-50 box of cell phones. It is heavy for me. I get a dolly and wheel it in. This buff "lady" picks it up and shakes it. She says it rattles and they can't accept it. I tell her it is broken cell phones and they can't hurt them any more. Nope, has to be repacked. I think there was a $5-10 charge to open it and stuff it with more paper. The buyer paid it anyway.

The other time was just last month. The perfect box to ship something in had printing all over it so I pulled out a paper grocery bag and wrapped the box in this and taped it up real well. At first the guy (same store) said they can't accept wrapped boxes but then changed his mind. After I told him I never have a problem at the post office.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I took it to the Postal Service and they asked how much insurance I said $700 and she said okay puts it on there, and went about her day. I guess basically I've never been asked before so that kind of threw me off.

I talked to a few people about insuring gold/silver through the post office. If you just ship some gold to your refinery and insure it for $500 and it gets lost you can't prove the contents were worth $500 because the refinery did not actually issue a purchase order for a certain amount of gold.

But, if someone wins a auction for $500 and you ship to that person and insure it for $500 no problem because you will have the auction paperwork and the paypal bill of sale.

You need to create a paper trail.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to a few people about insuring gold/silver through the post office. If you just ship some gold to your refinery and insure it for $500 and it gets lost you can't prove the contents were worth $500 because the refinery did not actually issue a purchase order for a certain amount of gold. But, if someone wins a auction for $500 and you ship to that person and insure it for $500 no problem because you will have the auction paperwork and the paypal bill of sale. You need to create a paper trail.

Or not even bother. I'm not sure how you treat a paper trail to the refinery. I guess all this won't matter shortly because I will get my license here in a couple weeks and there's a guy in town that pays 99% spot. cash.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Articles of extraordinary value (extraordinary value is defined as items valued in excess of $50 per pound per package).

Antiques or any commodity that exhibits the style or fashion of a past era and whose history, age or rarity contributes to its value. These items include, but are not limited to, furniture, tableware, glassware.

Just those two "rules" eliminate at least half of what I sell. This is a case where they could have made a shorter list by telling us what they ARE willing to ship. Jeez.

Great advice on the paper trail Dan, anything that can CYA with that kind of value is good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread