Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2015
Yuba City, Ca
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
White's GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, everyone. I was hoping to get some of your expert advice on this dredge that's for sale on eBay. The mining community can often be like a small town up here in NorCal. So if you know the seller, please don't let that influence your response. I'm looking for a dredge that I can take into small creeks for now, but also larger rivers when I get more experience "on the nozzle". I was also wondering if I can put some sort of reducer on the end in case of likely size restrictions.

Keene 6" Gold Dredge for Gold Mining | eBay

In essence:
1) Does this look like a good deal for what's being offered?
2) Does this look like a good dredge for my planned usage?
3) Can the nozzle size be reduced without ruining the flow over the sluice?

Thanks in advance!

- Mike D

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) Does this look like a good deal for what's being offered? so so
2) Does this look like a good dredge for my planned usage? too big but could be modified to a 4" with 1 motor
3) Can the nozzle size be reduced without ruining the flow over the sluice? yes

It looks ok but this dredge is not for small creeks. Here is the Keene link. You could probably negotiate. This guy has a lot of dredges and mining equipment in his yard so you may find other things and make a deal. I would go down there and look around.

Keene Engineering Online: 6" Twin 6.5 HP Honda Mini Dredge

OP
OP
M

MadScientist

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2015
Yuba City, Ca
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
White's GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
How deep is the creek?

It averages about 1.5 feet.

1) Does this look like a good deal for what's being offered? so so
2) It looks ok but this dredge is not for small creeks. Here is the Keene link. You could probably negotiate. This guy has a lot of dredges and mining equipment in his yard so you may find other things and make a deal. I would go down there and look around.

Keene Engineering Online: 6" Twin 6.5 HP Honda Mini Dredge

Thanks, Reed. I saw that on the Keene website, but that's $1500 more than what the other guy wants - without the bells and whistles. I may be reading this wrong, tho (I've been working graves and just woke up).

Thank you both for your attention!

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm by far not any kind of expert on dredging and I only have a 4" Keene but I can tell you that unless you dig out a large hole first that 6" is going to be sucking air really really fast with only 1.5' of water.
That being said, that is the exact dredge I'm looking to get in the next few years.
What your going to want to do for that particular shallow creek is get a smaller dredge that has a suction nozzle rather than a power jet setup... that way you can suck all the air you want without losing gold.
Here is a quick link I found from tnet about both setups -- http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/121053-power-jet-vs-suction-nozzle.html

OP
OP
M

MadScientist

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2015
Yuba City, Ca
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
White's GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm by far not any kind of expert on dredging and I only have a 4" Keene but I can tell you that unless you dig out a large hole first that 6" is going to be sucking air really really fast with only 1.5' of water.
That being said, that is the exact dredge I'm looking to get in the next few years.
What your going to want to do for that particular shallow creek is get a smaller dredge that has a suction nozzle rather than a power jet setup... that way you can suck all the air you want without losing gold.
Here is a quick link I found from tnet about both setups -- http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/121053-power-jet-vs-suction-nozzle.html
Okay, thank you - I'm learning quite a bit here. Honestly, I'm hoping to avoid having 2 dredges. I figured it would be best to start in the smaller creeks to get some experience, then move on to the bigger, deeper ones. Would it be too far fetched to swap out a power jet for a suction nozzle setup - using the same chassis - when necessary/applicable?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDUCATE --and prosper- same except for nozzle setup NOT 2 different dredges as both styles can be run with the same box,floats by just a few minutes working to ez changes. John

OP
OP
M

MadScientist

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2015
Yuba City, Ca
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
White's GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, so how about the hose? Doesn't it need to be swapped out as well? From what I understand, only one pressure hose would be used for the suction nozzle setup. But would that be enough to power that 6 in. hose by itself?

Thanks, by the way!

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you bought this dont change anything this is a gold getter,
with this you have a chance at OZ's per day where a 4" you would get a 1/4 that.
find a 3 or 4 inch mini for sampling or working small creeks.
You can make this work if you have to or its required you can use a reducer on the tip
they have suction nozzles for 6” but are for an assist you would use it with the jet log.

I’ve heard of people using 6” as a 4” you need new jet or nozzle and 4” hose
then get a 6 to 4 reducer in the h-vac section of a building supply store to go into the flare.
To run the box you would have to almost close off the under sluice may work alright, only have to run one motor.
If you find out this is too big I’ll trade my 4” mini straight across.

I've bought parts from Roger before great guy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MadScientist

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2015
Yuba City, Ca
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
White's GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks man. Unfortunately, I am not the one who bought that dredge. I had asked him some questions about the dimensions for it to see if it would fit my trailer, but never heard back. Oh well. I hope you don't feel that you wasted your time with your reply, tho. It was very informative, and I'm still going to be looking for one. I may go ahead and get a smaller Keene for now... we'll see.

Do you (or anyone else) know of any good deals in the NorCal area (in line with what I'm looking for)?

Thanks again, Winners!

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just keep checking craigslist daily -- Use a search engine that checks all of craigslist within a few hundred miles from your location. I found mine about 3 hours away for a decent deal.
Here is the same dredge I bought for a similar deal and it's located in Medford so not too far from NorCal
NEW KEENE 4" 6.5 HP HONDA JET FLARE DREDGE

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Okay, thank you - I'm learning quite a bit here. Honestly, I'm hoping to avoid having 2 dredges. I figured it would be best to start in the smaller creeks to get some experience, then move on to the bigger, deeper ones. Would it be too far fetched to swap out a power jet for a suction nozzle setup - using the same chassis - when necessary/applicable?

Whats wrong with having 2 dredges?????? I was up to three dredges at one point, im down to 2 dredges now!:) and depending on my back I may be looking at a 5!!

OP
OP
M

MadScientist

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2015
Yuba City, Ca
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
White's GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
So THAT'S where all of the dredges went - you hoarders took em all! :P

And thanks, LRC253. I've been busy looking around. That one up in Medford is a nice one - maybe I should make the drive while gas is cheap...

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
Could you imagine moving that in a small creek?. Make sure it is in an area to float, otherwise you'll kill yourself moving it constantly. Start with something smaller. 4" maximum for small creeks. Should be able to pick one up for less than 1/2 that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread