Figuring out the Netherlands - Finally - Oops Forgot a Couple of coins

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Hello All,

It's been a bit since I've posted. Long story short, I got invited to the UK to detect a 15th Century Priory the first of June and my wife fell down the steps at the B&B and broke her leg and ankle. So I've been "Occupied."

I have spent the last 4 summers in Amsterdam. Trying to find a place to detect is never easy and when it is summer and things are in crop, it is almost impossible. I decided to change tactics this year and try to find places to hunt that are not in crop but are in pasture. Problem with this is that there is a LOT of pasture here. The Netherlands has been reclaiming land for a long time. You might find out you are hunting a nice pasture that was under water 100 years ago and all that is there to find now is stuff that fell off the tractor or the cow. Not good. So the secret is to find pasture that was NOT under water 100 years ago. Turns out that is not so difficult to do. The Dutch like maps. They have maps of everywhere and they have been doing it for a LONG time. And somebody had the great idea to tie the old maps to a modern map of the country. So you can go to a website and move your cursor around the country and click on an area and all the old maps that include that part of the country will come up. It is common to find maps of places from the 17th and 18th century covering the area you are interested in.

Since the water table is so high, they have to have canals in the fields to keep the water regulated and these canals are on the maps. The canals are also visible on Google Maps. So if you find a map from the 1600's that shows a farmer's field was a pasture with canals and a Google Map that shows the same canals and it's pasture now. You can hunt a pasture that you know has been there for a least 400 years. Piece of cake.

I spent a lot of time looking for these places and getting permission from the farmers. I have permission now from 5 farms to hunt their pastures. I hunt it just after they mow for hay or when they move the animals because the grass is too short. It is a perfect place to hunt. Almost like a pool table.

As I hunt these places, I'm finding the areas that have "stuff." Sort of the "hot spots" in a huge pasture. The finds cover quite a range of time - about 5-600 years. It's cool.

Here are some examples of things that are starting to come up. Enjoy.

And here are the coins I forgot. The first is a 1550 French Orb Jetton and the second is a 1599 8 Pfenning.

Daryl

Attachments

• Netherlands1.jpg
    Netherlands1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 586
  • Netherlands2.jpg
    Netherlands2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 585
  • Netherlands3.jpg
    Netherlands3.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 587
  • Netherlands4.jpg
    Netherlands4.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 575
  • Netherlands5.jpg
    Netherlands5.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 583
  • Netherlands6.jpg
    Netherlands6.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 582
  • Netherlands7.jpg
    Netherlands7.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 568
  • TonCoin1.jpg
    TonCoin1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 546
  • TomCoin2.jpg
    TomCoin2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 546
  • Better8Coin1.jpg
    Better8Coin1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 549
Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Figuring out the Netherlands - Finally

hmmm, i'd say you are on the right track!
very nice assortment of finds. love the buckles.

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used

Gotta love the e-Trac. It is dry as a bone here and yet we are still getting good depth. It's nice to hunt a field that has not been plowed to death. Not much bent stuff and that's a good thing compared to the fields in the UK.

And it is a West Friesland Duit - 1567. It amazes me that I spend all this time and effort to find a coin that is half as good as one on Ebay for less than 4 bucks. And it is over 400 years old!!!! Geez.

I'm getting closer to the spots. If you can find a road crossing or where a house was, you're in the glory spot. Sometimes a house will show up on a 1740 map and not be there on the 1780 map. That's the place to be. NO ALUMINUM. But then there's rusted iron. Can blank the iron but not the rust. Aarrgghh!!!

Daryl

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds :headbang: i also have been studying the Dutch and there early arrival to New Amsterdam and out here on the Northfork of Long Island where i live in local fields in the early Spring before new growth, and wooded area,s i have found many coins and relics dated back to the early 17th century mostly silver and a few bronze shoe buckles plus many buttons ,those coins you have are awesome as is everything else Great digs :icon_thumleft: looking forward to seeing more of your finds . Good hunting :thumbsup: Dd60

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Maybe I can find a matching buckle or something. Then you can have one from Holland and one that made it to New Amsterdam.

I'll keep you posted.

Daryl

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like your research is paying off.

We too are waiting for the hay cut, as its the only options at the moment :tongue3:

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
I hope you guys got some rain. When I was there a month ago, you could hardly dig at all. I don't remember seeing it this dry. I would dig a nice 10" hole and it was dust clear to the bottom. Digging with my Lescher though.

I think what made the research pay off was finding a pretty good size area that had a lot of old maps. The area between Utrecht and Amersfoort is very old and there are lots of livestock being raised. I just got lucky and found 100's of acres of pasture that was still pasture and friendly farmers. It just amazed me that the pastures still have a small canal every 100 feet or so that were on the 1700 map and still there as a canal today. Most of the house sites we have found are not in the pastures. They were never meant to be. They were the village that turned into the small towns there now. I've got my eye on a BIG pile of dirt that was scraped off a lot to build a house. I got a good feeling about that dirt. The guy that built the house said that I could detect it as soon as he spreads it out to finish landscaping.

The more I hunt pasture, the better I understand it. You can start to "read" it by seeing little bumps and ridges. They may be some fill that was brought in or it may be part of an old small dike. Whatever the case, you can pretty well bet that there will be more signals there than in the rest of the pasture.

I've started on one field and there are lots of coins from the early 1600's. Not sure why but it may have been a trade area or something. Just a couple of slick silvers in with the crap coppers but I think there will be more as we zero in on what was there.

Daryl

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BioProfessor said:
I hope you guys got some rain. When I was there a month ago, you could hardly dig at all. I don't remember seeing it this dry. I would dig a nice 10" hole and it was dust clear to the bottom. Digging with my Lescher though.

I think what made the research pay off was finding a pretty good size area that had a lot of old maps. The area between Utrecht and Amersfoort is very old and there are lots of livestock being raised. I just got lucky and found 100's of acres of pasture that was still pasture and friendly farmers. It just amazed me that the pastures still have a small canal every 100 feet or so that were on the 1700 map and still there as a canal today. Most of the house sites we have found are not in the pastures. They were never meant to be. They were the village that turned into the small towns there now. I've got my eye on a BIG pile of dirt that was scraped off a lot to build a house. I got a good feeling about that dirt. The guy that built the house said that I could detect it as soon as he spreads it out to finish landscaping.

The more I hunt pasture, the better I understand it. You can start to "read" it by seeing little bumps and ridges. They may be some fill that was brought in or it may be part of an old small dike. Whatever the case, you can pretty well bet that there will be more signals there than in the rest of the pasture.

I've started on one field and there are lots of coins from the early 1600's. Not sure why but it may have been a trade area or something. Just a couple of slick silvers in with the crap coppers but I think there will be more as we zero in on what was there.

Daryl

No rain for weeks, the pasture I just tried hurt my feet jumping on the spade, only managed an inch at a time. We need rain!

I too enjoy the odd bit after pasture, even if its just digging up a deep Geo copper, as its not moved much from the time it was lost. The other week I dug a large Crotal Bell at over 10" inches & it was great to see that at the bottom of the hole :icon_thumright:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,328231.0.html

Keep at it :icon_thumright: & dance me some rain...

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
I did. And I am. And I still have 3 more months!!!

Yeah, sometimes the nice hard dry ground makes for good pics.

Here is the way an open-topped silver thimble looks as well as a nice BIG silver coin from the 17th century. Seems like the dirt just wants to keep them trapped.

Daryl

Attachments

• ThimbleHole.jpg
    ThimbleHole.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 444
  • BigSilver.jpg
    BigSilver.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 441

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Professor, great research and great results!! Man,I sure miss hunting in Europe. Everywhere is a time capsule.

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Daryl, you are finally getting the hang of it and finding the places...
Nice text too...

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Thanks. It took a bit to finally figure out the places that had the maps and the OLD pasture. But being the summer, there wasn't much else to try that would give me access to a fair amount of land to walk - I've got about 100-200 acres now. I'm finding that the farmers with the pastures are much more inclined to try and talk to me - it's interesting sometimes - and less worried about me messing up their crop. So I'm slowly getting the land and I've got my eyes on their corn. If it's 16th and 17th century between the fields, hunting the corn when it's out and plowed should be good and the farmer is on board.

I'm back out today - finally cooled off a bit - to look at a new place. Map shows 2 house sites and a windmill. There in late 1600's and gone by end of 1700's. There is also a small road for access. Maybe there was some commerce and there will be more silver. Never know. Most likely lots of parts of a windmill.

Thanks for looking and I'll post some other bits and pieces if I find some other type stuff. You can only photo so many pieces of lead, buckles, and thimbles. :D

Just wish it would rain. Bit I think everybody is saying that.

Daryl

CAgem

Mar 8, 2008
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac, Deus
Daryl, Looks like you're really getting into some good finds. With all the research you have been doing, perhaps you could organize a MDing tour. :hello: CalGail

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Hi CalGail,

Not a chance in h---. If I were Chris, I think I would have shot myself or somebody by now. We we go there, I am sure it seems to him like he is herding a bunch of cats.

I think I would be better off paying your way that trying to do it myself. :D

I always knew that research is the key. I think Colchester shows that very well.

Hope you are finding great stuff out there to share and I've got some more stuff to post as well. The new field seems more promising from a human/trade standpoint. We are hitting more coins and pottery form the early 1700's. It's not quite as scattered so we may be getting to a place where there was a good bit of activity. One of the things I like to see in places where there are canals are net weights. We started finding quite a few in a pretty small area. I guess we pulled up 20 or 30. We also started finding lead trade weights. The rough and crude ones they may have used on a product like fish.

It all an adventure but hunting in very old ground that had not been disturbed and doesn't attract too many people to detect it is nice. It also says a lot about how the land used to be when you can pull a 13th century or so bronze beehive thimble out of the place. I'm cleaning it up now. I just wonder how old this ground really is. Maps can only take you back so far.

More to come.

Thanks for looking.

Daryl

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
Guys, slow down a bit ;D I'm having a heart attack. It's treble banner finds. I don't even know what it better, coins, buttons, buckles or thimbles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread