final push today ends silver drought, yields a coouple of neat toys

coiny

Jan 3, 2010
Houston, TX
So this morning I went to perhaps the oldest park in town only to discover that the park is closed while the workers are doing landscaping or something. This is a good time to detect it so I may go back early Sunday morning. The sign specifically said closed while the workers are working. Anyway, I went right across the street to the old oak trees that are in the strip between the sidewalk and street. The older trees look to be about 70 to 90 years old and they go down that side of the street for a mile or so. I've had a little luck there before(silver ring) so I thought I would try to find that elusive SLQ that I am gunning for. After 2 hours all I had was 57 cents in clad, the weird car emblem? in the picturebelow, and the junkie, yet kind of neat lion face pictured as well.

I will have to say, I was kind of pissed after that, not just because of today but because my past few hunts have not been productive like they usually are. So, this evening I had another chance to md. I was using google maps when I noticed a little park a few miles away that I had never seen before. I used the street view option and saw that there was a big oak tree right in the middle of the place. I headed over started searching. The mosquitoes were ferocious and wouldn't you know it, I forgot my bug spray. I did have a long sleeve shirt but they ended up still biting the $hit out of my hands. They wouldn't stop.

For the first 20 minutes or so I didn't find anything except a pull tab and a few clad dimes. I did notice that there is very little trash there. I was moving from area to area quicker than usual to avoid the mosquitoes. Near the center of the park, about 12 feet from the tree, I got a signal. I dug down and out came a pull tab. I swung the coil back over and got another signal. It was the merc (43 S). After relishing that victory for a moment, I started swinging again as it was getting dark. Not two minutes later I had the rosie (54 D) in my hand. Then came the Johillco Indian toy, then the little claw hammer. On the web, I could only find one picture of the Indian toy I found. I attached it as well. I wish mine still had that paint!

I am pretty sure I have a site that is untouched. Needless to say, I will be going back. Here are the pics. I upgraded my camera. Sorry for all the past blurry pics.

Anybody have an idea about the emblem thing? Also, tomorrow I am going to try my Bounty Hunter on the same park. What do you think about that idea?

Cheers!

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 105
  • toyindian.jpg
    toyindian.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 2

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. What you swinging?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_searching.gif
Nice finds coiny. I haven't a clue on the emblem thingy - but as usual on TN - a member will know exactly what it is shortly. Thanks for sharing...

OP
OP
C

coiny

Jan 3, 2010
Houston, TX
Thanks everyone!

I forgot to mention that I found about 6 wheats, but no key dates.

@jeweler21: I am using a White's Classic III and my back-up detector is a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV (my 1st detector). I am really thinking about getting another one that is good in the water, like the Fisher cz21.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread