Old Downtown Side Walk tear out

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They tore out some small areas of the sidewalk and street in old downtown San Angelo, TX.
These finds came out of an area of the tear out that was about 5' X 8'. Years ago,
I was lucky enough to search a larger area of tear out a block farther North and found
several coins from the early 1900's, the highlight of which was a 1909 D Barber half in
XF condition, which I sold years ago for $110.00.
I was expecting to find coins of the same time period in this tear out. I found two dimes
that were badly corroded with dark black, thick corrosion and I could not make out the
images to see what they were. I assumed they would be in the early 1900's like the tear
out that I had searched in about 1980. To my surprise, when I got them home and removed
the oxidation with electrolysis to find they were seated 1873 P and 1885 P. Apparently,
the 200 block of S. Chadbourne Street had sidewalks about twenty years prior to the 100
block of S. Chadbourne. These finds were in front of the building at 204 S. Chadbourne,
San Angelo, TX. Also pictured is a horseshoe from that period and a flattened 50/70 caliber
shell and two pieces of lead that I assume is from bullets.
These streets were originally dirt, then pine blocks, the blocks were later covered with dirt and
paved with brick, then eventually pavement was laid over the bricks. So anytime there is a
street or sidewalk torn out in the downtown area, it is like a time capsule has been opened for
my detecting pleasure.
downtownfinds.jpg
downtownfinds2.jpg downtownfinds3.jpg
downtownfinds5.jpg downtownfinds6.jpg

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    305.8 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 11

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds thanks for sharing.. Congrats on the success..

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
forgive me if this is rude by asking a technique ---but how does one find out about sidewalk tear-outs. Do governments list this type of construction online or do you have to happen upon them?

OP
OP
J

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
forgive me if this is rude by asking a technique ---but how does one find out about sidewalk tear-outs. Do governments list this type of construction online or do you have to happen upon them?

I just happened to be there at the right time.

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Two seated coins in one hunt is always great in my book (especially since I have only found one seated coin in my whole hunting career!).

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found coins in a similar condition from street construction and unable to see the coin without electrolysis. I think is a combination of moisture, urine and horse dung over the years before and after brick streets put down. Nice finds

John_Deere

Mar 7, 2013
Fredericksburg
Detector(s) used
Personal: Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Family: White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds! Congrats and HH!

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's a great find !! Looks like someone tagged one of them with an X in case they lost it.

lumbergh

Jul 22, 2013
Wake County (Raleigh Area), North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Fisher Metal Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found coins in a similar condition from street construction and unable to see the coin without electrolysis. I think is a combination of moisture, urine and horse dung over the years before and after brick streets put down. Nice finds

Hi Etex,

What do you use for "electrolysis"? Is this like a sonic jewelry cleaner?

I'm looking for something to clean my wheat pennies so I can add them to my coin collection. I don't care if I "ruin" any value on these. I promise I won't do it to my silvers - for all you "don't clean your coins!" folks. :)

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe get lucky and they'll do a rd tear out.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a sidewalk tear out just yesterday... I however was not so lucky, :icon_scratch: my take was... Three older Jefferson's 1950's, 3 wheats 1940's and a plated kids ring.... :dontknow: I swore silver must be there but I hunted it 3 or 4 times back and forth but could not pick a silver.... Oh, well I'll get umm next time !!

Great digs !! :notworthy:
Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread