Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, White's DFX-300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After retiring almost two years ago to an old farmhouse in Maine I'm finding myself busier than ever. Too busy to metal detect, too busy to fish, and too busy to hunt as much as I'd like. I've got to change some priorities!

So today I stopped painting the house long enough to hit the back yard with my son.
In the hour detecting and working between the iron signals I managed to pull out a 1942 Winged Liberty (Mercury) dime and a toasted Lincoln Memorial Cent. Not much but I'll take it!

The difficult part of detecting this old farm yard is iron! Iron nails, spikes, hoes, shovels, sickles and scythes, and chain. Between all the iron in the five or six times I've detected I've found some relics, some modern coin, a General Staff Officer button, a big flat-ie button, and a King George II Half Penny. There is more here, I just have to join the iron brigade to get them out.

Today's take and some of the other finds I've made over the past 18 months.

Happy hunting...

Attachments

• Winged Liberty (1942) and a toasted Memorial Cent.jpg
    Winged Liberty (1942) and a toasted Memorial Cent.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Winged Liberty Dime and a toaster Memorial Cent Reverse.jpg
    Winged Liberty Dime and a toaster Memorial Cent Reverse.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Back yard finds.jpg
    Back yard finds.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Flat - Staff - and the big one.jpg
    Flat - Staff - and the big one.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 12

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Retired?? No such thing!! My wife retired the end of June and I'm busier than ever!! No way am I going to tempt fate with that wrongly defined stage of life!!
Good to see you got to swing the coil and hope you are able to find more time to relax............look at the rewards you unearthed and the satisfaction you gained........:laughing7:

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your silver. Glad you were able to get some detecting in! -Lisa & John

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron can be a nuisance, but it is a positive sign of plenty of activity - and you've proven that there are some nice finds to be had. Good luck on future hunts!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am from Maine and it sounds like you are on a great piece of property. I'm not sure how old the iron relics are that you're pulling out but they could be treasures themselves. I have stacks of early iron that are in need of electrolysis and preservation. I look forward to seeing more of your posts and hope you enjoy this beautiful state as much as I do. Congrats on the silver. My guess is that if you continue to clear out the iron and trash you will end up with done great finds. What's the history of the farm?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad you were able to hunt! GL & HH

OP
OP
Steve L.

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, White's DFX-300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am from Maine and it sounds like you are on a great piece of property. I'm not sure how old the iron relics are that you're pulling out but they could be treasures themselves. I have stacks of early iron that are in need of electrolysis and preservation. I look forward to seeing more of your posts and hope you enjoy this beautiful state as much as I do. Congrats on the silver. My guess is that if you continue to clear out the iron and trash you will end up with done great finds. What's the history of the farm?

Thanks Ahab8. The place was settled in 1832 on a Revolutionary War land grant to a veteran named Benjamin Porter. Mr. Porter didn't live many years here before he passed. The property passed down in his family. A gentleman named Mr. David Barton married Mr. Porter's daughter. David Barton was the older brother of Miss Clara Barton who founded the American Red Cross and who nursed Civil War soldiers in Virginia. Miss Barton visited the property several times to see her Brother. David Barton served in the Union Army as a Quartermaster General Staff Officer and was present at the siege of Charleston South Carolina.

Maine has a great history and I'm anxious to get to know more about the places and people here. Retired life is good.

I've seen some of your posts and finds and think you have done a great job researching and working your hunts. Congratulations! I look forward to seeing more of your posts as I get back into T-Net!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread