Finally a Nice Day

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As able to get out today for a few minutes . The sun was out and it was in the low 40s. I went to a public area that I knew there was an early 1800s home site. Found it on one of my moms obscure geneology maps. Thanks mom :-)! I managed to find the old foundation which is very very hard to see. I started swinging and realized quickly that the digging was going to be next to impossible. So I decided I would only dig a great signal. Got a high 70s nice high tone about 8" deep. It took me about 10 minutes to dig a plug. 4" of solid frost on top. Managed to get down about 7" and could see the edge of a coin. Pulled it out and could see it was a large cent.

image-1156077629.jpg

I put that baby away and stuck my pro pointer in the hole and sure enough another signal. Got down another inch or so and could see the edge of another coin. Got it out and once I got it brushed off a bit I could tell it had the Draped Bust design on the reverse.

image-3222137036.jpg

I got them cleaned up a bit and can see the one is an 1827. I unfortunately don't think I will ever know the date of the Draped Bust. I only dug 4 holes total and decided to wait for better digging. I was making a mess with my holes and didn't want to be that guy . I found an axe head as well. I am very happy I was able to get out and happier yet with two coins from four holes. If I can keep up that average this year I'll be good. :-)

Upvote 10

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now thats awesome congrats.HH.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good post and great hunt.....thanks for showing.

wayfas4u

Mar 29, 2010
Lee county georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett 2500 GTI, Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!! WOW! I am impressed and very happy for you to find these 2 OLD coins......I bet you look at these often during your day! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!! WOW! I am impressed and very happy for you to find these 2 OLD coins......I bet you look at these often during your day! :thumbsup:
Hey buddy, yeah it sure felt good to get out there and do some swinging. The ground is still like cement though. It's really killing me that I have to wait to get back there! Patience is not my strong suit :-)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang Abe - I's say that 2 LCs in 4 holes is a pretty productive hunt. Glad you were able to get out even if just for a bit. Dan & I are going to give it a try tomorrow afternoon. But after 6-8" of snow earlier in the week and a chilly -4F yesterday morning we might be fighting a losing battle. But I'd rather be out chiseling frozen turf than spending one more day inside.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Abe - I's say that 2 LCs in 4 holes is a pretty productive hunt. Glad you were able to get out even if just for a bit. Dan & I are going to give it a try tomorrow afternoon. But after 6-8" of snow earlier in the week and a chilly -4F yesterday morning we might be fighting a losing battle. But I'd rather be out chiseling frozen turf than spending one more day inside.
I wish you guys all the luck in the world my friend! Yeah we have 4 or 5" of solid frozen ground everywhere. I had to take a break to catch my breath after digging each plug. It's exhausting and I was making a mess. As much as I hate waiting, it's the right thing to do. I have some great sites lined up for this year but am glad to start out this way. Especially when I figured it would be April before I could get back out. Can't wait to see what you fellas find

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work right there, I'm glad you got out, haaaaaa I know it's really killing you now. Hang in there it's all there waiting for you. Good job researching, do some more.

sweetrelease

Sep 26, 2013
new jersey
Detector(s) used
at pro and ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice job.. I bet pulling that large cent out of the hole "warmed" you up abit ;-)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting out and doing battle with the frozen ground! You were lucky to have 2 L
C's in the sane hole you didn't have work as hard.
It's disappointing not to be able to dig because of ground conditions then have to tell your self no so you don't mess up the grass, I'd say you have a lot of patience!
I'm going to try Sunday and hope the ground will cooperate!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting out and doing battle with the frozen ground! You were lucky to have 2 L C's in the sane hole you didn't have work as hard. It's disappointing not to be able to dig because of ground conditions then have to tell your self no so you don't mess up the grass, I'd say you have a lot of patience! I'm going to try Sunday and hope the ground will cooperate!
Yeah I knew when I started having thoughts of using a hatchet to start cutting holes in the earth it was time to step back and reconsider. Besides, it's just not much fun . That ice is harder than concrete! I wish you the best out there. I can't help but thinking there could be some early 1800s silver hiding on me under that ice :-)

mihmar79

Dec 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice hunt, nice coins! :thumbsup: gz! :thumbsup:

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real nice finds, I can't wait for the ground to thaw! HH.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As able to get out today for a few minutes . The sun was out and it was in the low 40s. I went to a public area that I knew there was an early 1800s home site. Found it on one of my moms obscure geneology maps. Thanks mom :-)! I managed to find the old foundation which is very very hard to see. I started swinging and realized quickly that the digging was going to be next to impossible. So I decided I would only dig a great signal. Got a high 70s nice high tone about 8" deep. It took me about 10 minutes to dig a plug. 4" of solid frost on top. Managed to get down about 7" and could see the edge of a coin. Pulled it out and could see it was a large cent.

View attachment 938722

I put that baby away and stuck my pro pointer in the hole and sure enough another signal. Got down another inch or so and could see the edge of another coin. Got it out and once I got it brushed off a bit I could tell it had the Draped Bust design on the reverse.

View attachment 938724

I got them cleaned up a bit and can see the one is an 1827. I unfortunately don't think I will ever know the date of the Draped Bust. I only dug 4 holes total and decided to wait for better digging. I was making a mess with my holes and didn't want to be that guy . I found an axe head as well. I am very happy I was able to get out and happier yet with two coins from four holes. If I can keep up that average this year I'll be good. :-)

I think you'll be able to get a date out of that.Put it in olive oil for a month and I bet you start to see something.I found a 1802 lc that had no detail at all on either side.After a month a now have a wreath and bust.:occasion14:

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you'll be able to get a date out of that.Put it in olive oil for a month and I bet you start to see something.I found a 1802 lc that had no detail at all on either side.After a month a now have a wreath and bust.:occasion14:
I will give it a shot for sure. Can't stand the thought of not knowing exactly what I have.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will give it a shot for sure. Can't stand the thought of not knowing exactly what I have.

I find its the safest way to bring out detail. I've done this with my Indians and its worked great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread