Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know what it is about Seated Silver, but I just can’t find it. I have found dozens of Spanish silvers, two Draped Bust silvers, two Capped bust silvers, and tons of Large Cents and Indian Heads from the Seated Silver period. But until this past weekend, only one seated dime (1890) and that was over 20 years ago! Well I’m happy to say the seated slump is over! I noticed that they had put cows in a field adjacent to a wooded site I had pounded 20 years ago. The site had given up about a dozen Large Cents and a couple half cents, but no silver. Although the field was on the fringe of the main concentration, I figured I would give it a shot. I was there about 3 hours and managed an 1827 Large Cent along with an 1842-O dime, a flat button and some early 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century coins. I wasn’t expecting much when I went in there, so I was pleasantly surprised.

7-8-17 all.JPG
dirt shot.jpg
1842 dime.jpg
DSCN3370.JPG Backs.JPG

Upvote 30

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great day and Congrats on the seated on the other finds!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Steve - when you said ending a slump you really meant it. That's crazy that you haven't found a seated silver in 20 years, and only 1 overall. That's even worse than my pathetic capped bust silver anomaly - only 3 in the last 20+ years (and one of those was just this year). Maybe you've opened the floodgates and just started a new trend - good luck!

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Congrats on getting the monkey off your back and finding another seated after 20yrs. Those spanish, draped, and capped bust silvers you have found are coins still on my list.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Steve - when you said ending a slump you really meant it. That's crazy that you haven't found a seated silver in 20 years, and only 1 overall. That's even worse than my pathetic capped bust silver anomaly - only 3 in the last 20+ years (and one of those was just this year). Maybe you've opened the floodgates and just started a new trend - good luck!
Thanks Bill, I'm hoping you're right!

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right on!! I'm happy for you, Steve. The detecting gods can be so dang unpredictable...but your bazillion well-earned Spanish silvers must have given you fair comfort through the drought. :occasion14:

So, what's next on your list right now?

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. Id gladly give up some of my nearly 30 seated from the past two years for one dated Spanish silver or any capped bust

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on!! I'm happy for you, Steve. The detecting gods can be so dang unpredictable...but your bazillion well-earned Spanish silvers must have given you fair comfort through the drought. :occasion14:

So, what's next on your list right now?

I'd like to find a Nova or a Fugio in nice shape :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. Id gladly give up some of my nearly 30 seated from the past two years for one dated Spanish silver or any capped bust
I will predict that you will find a dated Spanish silver before the year is out.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the really nice quite early Seated dime! Great intuition on hitting the fringe of a hot spot. Sometimes it pays off and you never know until you try. I hope a Seated Quarter pops out for you this summer as well!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the slump is over for this one, so what is next? congrats

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done buddy! I have a couple seated dimes and one half dime. All random drops hunting for colonial sites. I know damn well why I never find them and I'm guessing you have a bit of a similar problem. All of the sites I hunt are just too old for them. Im thinking seriously about hunting some more modern sites. By modern I mean mid 1800s. There's a lot of coins I'd like to have a shot at like draped and capped silvers. The issue I have is that the maps here go from 1776 to 1858. But I'm guessing a fair amount on the 1858 are much earlier. Should give me a boatload of new sites to hunt. Great job bud. Hope you get that Fugio or Nova or Rev button. All are high on my list and things I've never found. The Rev button really irritates me

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your seated. Im still looking for my first as well. i started Detecting back in the late 70s. My son has found two seated dimes in the past year....go figure!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread