Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know what it is about Seated Silver, but I just can’t find it. I have found dozens of Spanish silvers, two Draped Bust silvers, two Capped bust silvers, and tons of Large Cents and Indian Heads from the Seated Silver period. But until this past weekend, only one seated dime (1890) and that was over 20 years ago! Well I’m happy to say the seated slump is over! I noticed that they had put cows in a field adjacent to a wooded site I had pounded 20 years ago. The site had given up about a dozen Large Cents and a couple half cents, but no silver. Although the field was on the fringe of the main concentration, I figured I would give it a shot. I was there about 3 hours and managed an 1827 Large Cent along with an 1842-O dime, a flat button and some early 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century coins. I wasn’t expecting much when I went in there, so I was pleasantly surprised.

7-8-17 all.JPG
dirt shot.jpg
1842 dime.jpg
DSCN3370.JPG Backs.JPG

Upvote 30
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done buddy! I have a couple seated dimes and one half dime. All random drops hunting for colonial sites. I know damn well why I never find them and I'm guessing you have a bit of a similar problem. All of the sites I hunt are just too old for them. Im thinking seriously about hunting some more modern sites. By modern I mean mid 1800s. There's a lot of coins I'd like to have a shot at like draped and capped silvers. The issue I have is that the maps here go from 1776 to 1858. But I'm guessing a fair amount on the 1858 are much earlier. Should give me a boatload of new sites to hunt. Great job bud. Hope you get that Fugio or Nova or Rev button. All are high on my list and things I've never found. The Rev button really irritates me
Thanks Abe, you're right in that I have spent a lot of time hunting sites that pre-date Seated silver, but I have also hunted plenty of mid to late 19th century sites. I was happy this was an early dated seated.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet finds- love those old Seated's - Congrats!

-- Jeff --

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just crazy! Congrats on breaking the slump with a really nice coin.

Agent Green

Jul 19, 2013
Midwest
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Tesoro Silver Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW!! Congrats on the nice haul of coins... :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread