SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fianlly got some time to explore the site of an old chimney I saw many times from a road. On the hike in I stumbled across an overgrown negelected grave site. There were many unreadable stones, one I could read said born 1802 and died 1850. There were also two more modern stones, the newest of the two said born 1865 and died 1941 but you could see that the coffins had been dug up some time ago and the holes not filled in. I thought that was strange. When I located the chimney I also saw a standing outhouse, a sealed well and a partially standing shack that I never saw from the road. I searched around the chimney and found nothing but square nails. I searched between the back of the chimney and some ornamental plants and found what looks like a broken buckle of some sort. (CW?) I also found some sort of tool with a ring and a curved screwdriver type end. I also found some old hinges and assorted iron. Before I knew it it was getting dark so I intend on going back in the near future for another look.

I did a bit of research on a name on one of the graves:

The earliest S_____ family member documented in the United States appears to have been Edward S____, who was born in Virginia around 1740, although it may be that the S____s have lived in the United States since before 1700. The earliest mention of a H______ family member appears to date back to George H____, who died in 1759 in Lunenburg County, Va. In the succeeding years, most H____ and S____ family members lived in or around Wake County, N.C., where they were among the more prominent landowners of the region. The H____ and S____ families were linked when Joseph T H___ married Eva S___ on 15 August 1893.
Frances H___ W___, granddaughter of Joseph T H___ and Eva S___ H____, received an A.B. in English from Duke University, and spent 34 years teaching in the Fairfax County, Va., public school system.

Attachments

• buckel 3.jpg
    buckel 3.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,501
  • buckel 2.jpg
    buckel 2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,495
  • buckel.jpg
    buckel.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,487
  • A.jpg
    A.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,495
  • A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,495
  • DSCN2479.jpg
    DSCN2479.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,502
  • DSCN2474.jpg
    DSCN2474.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,487
  • DSCN2478.jpg
    DSCN2478.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,486
  • DSCN2487.jpg
    DSCN2487.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,495
  • DSCN2493.jpg
    DSCN2493.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1,498
  • buckel 3.jpg
    buckel 3.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,498
  • buckel 2.jpg
    buckel 2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,493
  • buckel.jpg
    buckel.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,480
  • A.jpg
    A.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,495
  • A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,500
Upvote 0

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bodies could have easily been moved from that small family plot to another homestead or to a church's cemetery, or into town to a big one.

The next time you go there, detect on the pathway from the home structure to the outhouse and around the entire area in front of the outhouse door. I suggest not dismantling any structures unless you have the owner's permission to do so.

Enjoy and good luck.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Had all the graves been dug or just some? There was a house site near me that belonged to Gen. Ewell's brother, who was a doctor. People had dug a lot of the graves looking for jewelry and things. From the chimney it looks like the house was fairly big as it has a fireplace upstairs and downstairs. So the family may have been well off. I would think there are some good relics hiding in that site. Good luck

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to mention. Find the family trash dump. It should have some interesting bottles; maybe other things. :thumbsup:

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a cool place to hunt. If you can find the old outhouse site. You should find some old bottles.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think the graves were dug and moved without taking the head stones.
How deep are the holes?
Those old graves sites would have settled and the wooden coffins rotted and caved in leaving a hole maybe a foot or so. If the holes are 5 foot deep than maybe grave robbers.
roger

AzHal

May 14, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
The one item that you found that has a ring and screwdriver type end is a bit for horses. I can't remember if it is called a snaffle bit or a snaple bit. You have a portion of it the ring is where the reins connect and the rounder end is what goes in the horses mouth.

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TXPIRATE said:
Looks like a cool place to hunt. If you can find the old outhouse site. You should find some old bottles.

I found it right in back of the chimney

OP
OP
SkyPirate

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rodgerdodger said:
How deep are the holes?
Those old graves sites would have settled and the wooden coffins rotted and caved in leaving a hole maybe a foot or so. If the holes are 5 foot deep than maybe grave robbers.
roger

I will show some pictures from my next visit

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SkyPirate said:
rodgerdodger said:
How deep are the holes?
roger
I'll check back to see them. Maybe some way to check with the city or county to find out if they were moved.roger

I will show some pictures from my next visit

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool,
That first site of a chimney deep in the woods just gives me a thrill I can't describe.
To think that you may be the first human to see it in 100 yrs and then to think about the history around you is just cool. I'd spend as much time as you can there searching it.

taropatch

Dec 24, 2007
Its been mentioned before, but I must remind you to not ignore the outhouse. People dumped their bottles there in the old days. You have a site that can keep you busy for many months.

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my best coin in 10 years of hunting at an old chimney site. It's the 1806 Bust half you see
spinning around. Hunt that place hard and often. There are coins there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions