Finally, my first silver rosie

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started metal detecting in June 2014. I've hunted for hundreds of hours--I've hunted city parks, schools, ballfields, old houses, old motels, old foundations, etc. Until today, I had found 152 CLAD Roosevelt dimes and 0 silver Rosies. I was frustrated. Well that changed today. While leaving a city park in which I had just dug clad for the last hour, I decided to detect around the fence entrance. Quickly, the Fisher F2 was ringing up a consistent "quarter" hit. Oh nice, I thought, I found a quarter. About 4" down, out pops a relatively clean dime. Alas, it was a 1954 silver Rosie. My first silver Rosie! The quest has finally ended. I can hang up the metal detector. :laughing7:

Attachments

• IMG_2837.JPG
    IMG_2837.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2838.JPG
    IMG_2838.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 12

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking... I have also found many more Mercs than Rosie's. Something like 1 Rosie per 10 Mercs maybe. Mercs were made for 29 years and silver Rosie's were made for 18 years. Notwithstanding mintage, that's a lot longer.

I'm bored at work and these are the things I think about;)

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh,,,,the first silver Rosie...I remember my first fondly....1963, dug up at the bus stop in front of the house where I grew up during the 1950s and 60s. Then there was the one I found lying on the counter under the bag carousel at the checkout at Walmart recently. That one was easy.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and here is to many more.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think rosies are harder to find because they were not too deep to begin with, my average rosie has only been 4 inches down, mercs usually come up 6 inches+ where most previous hunters skipped over while cherry picking, I get more and more meticulous when i revisit a site to
find deeper and skipped targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions