So this happened yesterday. Rigged coil could only last so long.

skateandcreate

May 5, 2008
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Minelab GPX 4800
I've been hunting with a rigged DD coil for the last 7 months probably. All the fun started when I leaned a little too much on my machine for balance while being lazy digging a hole. Snapped the stock coil bolt. I got a nylon toilet bolt and washer and all was well for a while. That is until one of the tabs gave up the ghost. Alas another rigging discovery. Wrapped the long bolt to the coil with electrical tape and it held for another two or three months! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420344356.823048.jpg Then finally yesterday the inevitable ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420344403.290143.jpg I managed this macgyveresque repair to last one more hour for the rest of the day ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1420344475.679732.jpg
Now comes the hard part. I can't see spending $100+ on replacing a coil that works perfectly fine but is missing tabs so I'm thinking of using epoxy to repair it again. Anyone had luck with such trials?

Upvote 0

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Epoxy, fiberglass, wood, just about anything to keep it going, done it all. I've seen some new water activated type of fiber tape that dries like epoxy at Lowes and Home Depot which looks like it would work too. Just have to use your imagination and some common sense. Looks like you are blessed with plenty of both, so don't give up on it yet and please post your repair when you have done the next step in the process of keeping this coil alive.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I chipped the edge of my DD coil and fixed it with JB Weld. Six months later and it stills works great!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think both of the above would work great. I'm not sure if the auto Body epoxy's are any different, If you know someone that works in a body shop. I've seen them epoxy whole panels on trucks,door skins and repair plastic bumpers.:dontknow: The biggest part is to make sure both parts are real clean of any oil or dirt and scuffed up. I've jb welded cracks in dirt bike and motorcycle gear boxes that worked for a long time. you can build up the ears on the outside too for more strength then drill for the plastic bolt.I've even seen plastic angle, don't remember where, maybe home depot or lowes? you might know all that, just some thoughts.

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorilla Glue. Amazing stuff

leenie

Dec 30, 2006
Northwest Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro xp dues
when I worked on cooling towers they had fiberglass angles. two short pieces of that would work. your electric utility has cooling towers if you know someone who works there they might hook you up. they rebuild them every 5 or 6 years. I can look in my stuff and see if I have any and let you know.

OP
OP
skateandcreate

skateandcreate

May 5, 2008
MARYLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Minelab GPX 4800
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421440336.422799.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421440350.853143.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421440364.722728.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421440377.789019.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421440391.574757.jpg
BETTER THAN NEW! Took me a while to get around to it. With it being so cold out I haven't had a chance to dig anyway but now I'm chomping at the bit. Thanks guys!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great repair, and looks good to go, and you saved some big bucks! Cheers!!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Garrett would have mailed you a new "bolt kit" for free had you called and told them it broke. Matter of fact, they'd probabaly replace the coil, too. That's just the kind of company they are.

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Just an afterthought, I bought some stuff at the parts store called K-tool Q-Bond. It has cyanoacrylate binder (super glue) with reinforcing powders for metal and plastic. I have used it on a couple of plastic repairs and it works great when mixed right and it bonds quick! I actually used it to fix a trigger guard on a .22 rifle for a customer and milled it down to surface to look professional and it held up very well. I also used it for a tool box handle that is under a lot of stress and has done well so far. I think the reinforcing powders give it an extra hold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread