Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't found really anything worth mentioning for over 2 weeks. I was getting rather frustrated with my favourite spot, so I explored a part of the spot that I haven't gone over too thoroughly. it paid off, especially digging those iffy signals. The IH penny was a welcome surprise, and both the silvers had junk in the hole. The 1912 dime had a huge rusty nail beneath it.

I have found a PILE of 1890's to 1960's coinage at this site but it's getting scarce. On a positive note, I never really dig the signals in the solid 40 to 60 range...so I still have all the gold to pull from this site! Next year I plan to patiently let the A.T. Pro sniff out all the gold signals for me. Maybe an A.T. Gold would be the way to go? Hmmm...

Attachments

• 100_6719.JPG
    100_6719.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 367
  • 100_6724.JPG
    100_6724.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 363
Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Interesting that you are finding so many US coins in Canada. And some nice condition coins as well (congratulations!).

It's been a few, but I don't remember Canadian coinage being marked down in the US until 1958-1962 period. Were US coins commonly circulated in Canada too?

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale, I am lucky to find an even mix of old U.S. and Canadian coins, especially at my old sites. I live in Canada literally 2 blocks from the International Boundary line. It's so cool to find IH pennies, Edward VII, Barbers, George V, Victoria, and Wheaties at the same sites! I have even found a Morgan and 3 Barber halves! My problem is that this is a very small town, and I have hunted it to death lol!

As for American coinage being used in Canada, it was probably more common a long time ago. That being said, people often find U.S. coins in their change up here. Now that our dollar is worth more, nobody really cares about the exchange rate when it comes to small amounts.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
J.Cache said:
Tuberale, I am lucky to find an even mix of old U.S. and Canadian coins, especially at my old sites. I live in Canada literally 2 blocks from the International Boundary line. It's so cool to find IH pennies, Edward VII, Barbers, George V, Victoria, and Wheaties at the same sites! I have even found a Morgan and 3 Barber halves! My problem is that this is a very small town, and I have hunted it to death lol!

As for American coinage being used in Canada, it was probably more common a long time ago. That being said, people often find U.S. coins in their change up here. Now that our dollar is worth more, nobody really cares about the exchange rate when it comes to small amounts.
So the Morgan on your Avatar is your find? NICE.

I haven't found my Morgan ... yet. I know of a couple that have been found here, and one that was recovered in a school yard less than a mile away. But so far, I've had to buy most of mine.<sigh>

Until the US came out with the state quarter series, I thought Canadian coinage was better struck and had more interesting images, with some exceptions: Standing Liberty Quarters, Morgan Dollars and American gold coinage are among nicest in the world IMO.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale, I agree with you about the beauty of Morgans and SLQ's!! I have only found one SLQ, it's one of my favourite coins. I also think the Mercury dimes are very good looking coins. Yes, the Morgan in my avatar is the one I found. Also in the same hole were these 2 Barber halves. Thought I died and went to heaven :angel7:

Attachments

• 321 008 - Copy (2).JPG
    321 008 - Copy (2).JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 219

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
REALLY nice Morgan, but TERRIFIC Barber halves! I think one reason I don't like them so much is that mostly the stuff I find is so worn they look pretty bad. Nice wreaths on both halves, and complete Liberty on the headbands too.

There was a merry-go-round at Jantzen Beach which had to be moved and relocated when Jantzen Beach Mall was constructed. This was quite a few years ago. I understand an on-the-spot detectorist got permission to hunt under where the merry-go-round had been located, and promptly found complete sets of Barber half, quarter and dime sets: all within a 10 foot radius of where the merry-go-round had been sited at.

Unfortunately by the time I moved to Portland, that was quite a few years earlier... <sigh>

Still, nice to know they once were pretty easy to find.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, under an old merry go round would be the jackpot for sure! There were 2 guys back in the 1980's that cleaned out many areas here, but I still find some old coins that they missed. However, they must have totally missed the spot where I have found MANY great finds (including the Morgan and Barbers). Maybe it was overgrown and not used then, or maybe they were scared to get that close to the border...

Finding good coins can be difficult...but finding good sites is really the hardest part.

P.S. the '96 half has the 's' mintmark on it mwahaha!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread