Minelab Equinox
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Pro-Pointer
White's Surfmaster Pro PI
Tesoro Cibola
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking for a South Carolina button for a long time and finally found one on Saturday!!! I'm always next to the person who finds the Reale, Eagle Breast Plate, Buckle or great button but Saturday was my day I guess. This is a beauty. Can anyone give me an accurate date on it though? I posted pictures on different Identification Facebook sites and have had a few different answers. Some say it's an 1850 Citadel Cadet button. Another said it's definitely Civil War. And one said it's a pre-war South Carolina militia button. The backmark is Schuyler H&G NY.
I usually don't clean anything I find and display it as it was dug but I'm on the fence with this one. The green patina is beautiful but I can see a lot of gold and it probably will clean up nicely. Any advice given will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Also, does anyone know what the large brass piece is?

View attachment Finds.pdf View attachment SC Back.pdf View attachment SC Front.pdf

Upvote 20

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no info, but I'm sure the button authorities will chime in soon for you. Congrats on a very nice button.

Pacivilwarluke

Feb 15, 2013
York PA, Edisto Beach SC, Shepherdstown WV
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice button! That backmark is an 1850's pre war backmark, and was likely intended for an SC militia unit. A lot of the state seal buttons worn by confederates were made during the 1850s and were intended for militias before hostilities broke out. So if you found it at a civil war site it was likely lost by an SC confederate in that period. The big brass thing is a bit boss, looks 18th century or maybe early 19th century. I see a broken colonial spur there as well! Awesome finds!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find! Definitely clean it (gently) with aluminum jelly and a toothpick. Apply the jelly, let it sit for about a minute then just roll the toothpick over the surface to pull the dirt up. Rinse and repeat until the jelly no longer turns brown. Very important-Be sure to (again gently) rub Dawn detergent over it and rinse after you are done to remove all traces of the aluminum jelly. This method will shine any remaining gilt, and you will probably find that there is more there than you think.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the state button! :occasion14:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the beautiful piece of Carolina history!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Word on caution on your killer tree button, I dug the exact button last year with a small about of silver gilt showing through. I used alluminum jelly meticulously and still stripped most of the green patina, leaving just a bit of the silver wash and turning the patina a rust color. If it was mine, I'd just lightly toothpick and leave her as dug. Congrats!

OP
OP
SilverTone

SilverTone

Aug 18, 2015
John's Island, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Pro-Pointer
White's Surfmaster Pro PI
Tesoro Cibola
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the responses. Can't wait to get out again!!! I'll post a picture after it's cleaned. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread