Find of a lifetime/or not?

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello all,
I don't care if this is real or not, it will probably be one of my most spectacular finds... ;D
I only use the word SPECTACULAR because, thats the way I felt when I saw it.
My hunting partner ( My Cousion Dave, who got me into detecting ) & I went to a local park today. It was one of those parks that is suposed to be old, but there was not much in the way of hits, like it has been cleaned out, or back filled.
I wasn't dig'n much of anything except some clad, and a brass buckle, not too old, I don't think. Anyway, I would have normaly not dug this signal, figuring it was just a coin on the surface, or a bottle cap,,, but the day was slow and I wasn't dig'n much. So,, This was the result.. I will be dig'n alot more signals from now on.... The only Markings on it are: " GM " & "925". It seems to have been plated with gold?, although most of it is worn off, you can see it between the center diamond & the bands, and also in the groves on the backside.... I looked up Some Makers Marks and saw "GM" could be the mark of Gidian Myrick. He was born in 1736, he was a gold smith, and was lost at sea...Could I be that lucky?
If anyone has any info on this piece, I would appreciated any replys... Thank You!

Attachments

• Cross21B.JPG
    Cross21B.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 1,395
Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very nice piece-- a definite 'keeper'! 925 indicates sterling silver, usually. Doesn't mean it won't have gold highlights. You might ask a jeweler what the stones are.

Nice find! Hopefully those are real diamonds, if not it's still nice.
As far I know, it wasn't until the latter half of the 19th century that they started to stamp .925 on silver.
Keep 'em coming
Dave.

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hey all,,,
I was going back though some of my older post and realized that a lot of the pics I had stored on my old web site were gone...
I thought I would at least fix this one, as it is still one of my best finds. I still haven't found any info on this particular piece, and would appreciate any info I could get... I took it to a few jewelers and they tell me the stones are CZ's... If they are Cz's they are the best looking fake stones I have ever seen. This thing lights up in any kind of light...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Nice find Leon.

I would have it checked out by someone else. Doesnt make sense to have CZs on something silver.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Leon,

that is a beautiful piece. Silver is always nice.

Would be nice if it was old, but even if it is not its still a treasure.

Nice find.

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
if they are not real diamonds, they sure look real. that is a great find. congrats leon..........cant you do a home test on diamonds like scratching a piece of glass with a real diamond when a fake wont scratch glass? i dunno.....maybe thats not such a great idea?!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Leon, nice find in any circle. Just to keep everone up to date if not already known, there is another stone out on the market now that resembles a diamond even more than a CZ and is called moissanite.
Saw it for sale in Penny's Christmas catalog. Check out the similarities in this link.
http://www.moissanite.com/unique_properties.cfm
Also this one.
http://www.moissanite.com/durability_heat_resistance.cfm

They're so close that even a regular diamond tester will say they're real. We had to get a new tester that detected the difference.

R

rvbvetter

Very nice find!!! If you do test them on glass. Save your windows. Use your neighbors. HH

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Thanks all,,,
I have tried the glass test and they wiil cut it, but I've heard that some fakes will also cut glass...
I had also been told that they don't put real diamonds in anything silver these days, but if it's old there would be a chance...
One of the jewelers I took it to, said he wasn't sure if they were real, or not and sent me to another guy. He simply look at it with a glance and said, " Silver with Cz's ". The only other test I have done on it is to let some sales persons with a diamiond tester check it out. The machine did not light up, so they said the were probably Cz's...
Other name I came across while reseaching this was, " Gustavo Martinez ", he was a Mexican siver smith back in the 1980's, but I can't find any pictures of his work, or any other info on him...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
Leon said:
Thanks all,,,
I have tried the glass test and they wiil cut it, but I've heard that some fakes will also cut glass...
I had also been told that they don't put real diamonds in anything silver these days, but if it's old there would be a chance...
O

they do put diamonds in silver, it is an idividual choice of the particular gold/silversmith, but that aside DO NOT do the glass test you will stand a good chance of damaging a real diamond yes it will cut/scratch the glass, but it will also have a reasonable chance of taking the edge of the facet

HH Vrent

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worth $100,000,000 bucks or worth $7.99 still a nice once in a lifetime silver find!

Keep @ it and HH!!

Matejko

Jul 18, 2005
Warsaw-Poland
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V
Leon said:
it will probably be one of my most spectacular finds... ;D

Probably it won't be, you'll find something more spectacular. ;)
Nice piece of art, anyway.

Congrats !!!

Pozdrawiam Matejko

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Vrent said:
they do put diamonds in silver, it is an idividual choice of the particular gold/silversmith, but that aside? ? ?DO NOT do the glass test? you will stand a good chance of damaging a real diamond? yes it will cut/scratch the glass, but it will also have a reasonable chance of taking the edge of the facet

HH Vrent

Thanks for the tip, and thanks again all,,,
I just recieved a new digital camera, early Christmas present to take pictures over the Holidays, so, I thought I would play around with it a bit and try to get a better pic of my favorite find,,, It's not too bad, a lot better than my old camera. Atleast you can see some of the details... Still have to learn what all the buttons are for... ;D

Attachments

• HPIM0018.JPG
    HPIM0018.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 912

Strand-Filter

Dec 10, 2005
Florida
Nice piece regardless of what the "stones" are made of.

Costume jewlery is big on ebay now. Not that you should sell it until you are certain of the type of stones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread