Find of a lifetime/or not?

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello all,
I don't care if this is real or not, it will probably be one of my most spectacular finds... ;D
I only use the word SPECTACULAR because, thats the way I felt when I saw it.
My hunting partner ( My Cousion Dave, who got me into detecting ) & I went to a local park today. It was one of those parks that is suposed to be old, but there was not much in the way of hits, like it has been cleaned out, or back filled.
I wasn't dig'n much of anything except some clad, and a brass buckle, not too old, I don't think. Anyway, I would have normaly not dug this signal, figuring it was just a coin on the surface, or a bottle cap,,, but the day was slow and I wasn't dig'n much. So,, This was the result.. I will be dig'n alot more signals from now on.... The only Markings on it are: " GM " & "925". It seems to have been plated with gold?, although most of it is worn off, you can see it between the center diamond & the bands, and also in the groves on the backside.... I looked up Some Makers Marks and saw "GM" could be the mark of Gidian Myrick. He was born in 1736, he was a gold smith, and was lost at sea...Could I be that lucky?
If anyone has any info on this piece, I would appreciated any replys... Thank You!

Attachments

• Cross21B.JPG
    Cross21B.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 1,396
Upvote 0

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Leon,
For your sake, I hope it's what you want it to be.
Good luck.

Dirtfishin

Dec 3, 2005
Southern Tier NY (temp)
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace100 (my first one)
White's Surf Pro PI
Nokta Legend
Lovely Cross!

I think I read somewhere that Diamonds glow under a black light. If they are CZ's then the cross can't be that old, CZ's haven't been around for that long. Take it to a GEM expert, someone that deals with gems vs a jeweler they could solve the mystery of the rocks part of it.

Does GM stand for General Motors! ;D

Only kidding! I'm sure if it is a find that will be topped but will always go down as the 1st big find for you!

HH

Kat ;)

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Thanks again all,,,

fleamistress said:
What camera are you using, Leon? I'm due for a new one.

I got one of the HP Photosmart M417's,,, 5.2 Mp... It doesn't seem to be a bad camera, I have taken some very nice pictures with it...
Were getting it through a Rent-A-Center, so I need to pay it off with the tax check, or I'm going to be paying too much for it,,,
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/HP/hp_m417.asp
Below is another pic taken with the camera, set on Marco. I think it takes a pretty good pic of coins,,, I know it's a lot better than my old camera...

Thanks again all, for all the comments and suggestions,,,
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, but my $500.oo, 3 year old, 15" Flat panel went Ka-blew-ie the other day, and then my backup monitor did the same thing,,, can't win for loosing,,, Hopefully, it's for the best... A friend of mine knew a guy that got some monitors from were he works, and gave me an 18" Sony Trinitron,,, talk about looking at some pictures,,, I have to stand back to see the whole screen,,, ;D

If your still out hunting, Good luck & Happy hunting~
The weather just will not cooperate around here... :(

Attachments

• Fench5.jpg
    Fench5.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 382

Strand-Filter

Dec 10, 2005
Florida
Leon: That's a great pic with the new camera.

One thing to consider, real sunlight is a big help with coins. It takes a reflection panel, a second source and/or some real effort with artificial light.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread