FIND THE STARTER DRILL HOLE ON THE STONE MAPS?

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given the evidence,it does appear the stones examined by DA Inc. (at least the two trail maps) were indeed copies.
Although their statements regarding the heart/witch iconography were misleading or wrong,their observation of power tool markings,stone types and sources,and general appearance apparently are valid,IMO.
Wonder who has the stones which were photographed on the bumper of the 39 Olds?

Regards:Wayne

EE THr

Silver Member
Apr 21, 2008
Central California
So, just to clarify what the quality of the "bumper" photos posted here represent, at best, in light of the new information (that it's a picture of a picture)---

When a black & white film-type camera takes a picture, the negative is "exposed."

The negative has an emulsion coating which is composed of tiny, light sensitive particles. Different films have different sizes of these particles, which is referred to as "grain." Generally, the more sensitive films are "grainier," and are referred to as "high speed," and they can take pictures in lower light conditions, or faster shutter speeds. These grainier films have larger sized particles, and would correspond to low-resolution in a digital camera. Low speed films have finer grain, the equivalent of higher resolution. The "grain effect" results in tiny grain spots in the final photo.

When the roll of film is completed, it is developed, and put into an enlarger. The enlarger shines a light through the negative and a lens, which projects a larger image onto the "print" paper. The print is then developed, and that is the "photograph" that we look at. This "print" paper also has various speeds, and thus various levels of grain.

So, if I understand correctly, the original bumper photograph was folded, worn, and damaged. Then that picture, itself, was later photographed with another camera. This second shot adds to the original "grain" resolution problem of both the negative and print, with an additional negative and print.

So that results in the first problem, of the original being damaged by tearing, plus the original was apparently already old and mis-handled and worn, and so it is probably the source of the "crazing" effect on the surface of the photo, as seen on the driver's side fender along with what looks like white "4".

Then a photo of that photo was taken, adding two more grain factors to the already existing two, making four separate, totally random, grain "image noise" applications, each one on top of, and modifying, the others. This is like distorting already existing distortion. Three more times. If this effect is the source of the mysterious white "4," then what other shapes and illusions is it responsible for? I don't think there is any way to tell.

With all those grain distortions, the wear and tear of the original, the apparent crazing of the original print emulsion, the angle of the Stones to the camera, and the angle of the sunlight, I just don't see how anything can be said for certain about the existing photo which would really represent, in detail, the actual Stones as they sat there on that bumper. :icon_scratch:

:coffee2:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
somehiker said:
....Wonder who has the stones which were photographed on the bumper of the 39 Olds?

Splendid question Wayne. Here's another: wonder if there was info on the bumper stones that doesn't appear on the replicas?

somehiker said:
Bobs take on the maps is very interesting.

Thanks for the post - haven't seen that video for a while. The 'broken wing' diversion theory - send 'em looking to the left so that they avoid the right. May have worked for Marcos too in '40. Mastery of human nature is the sharpest tool in your bag - people will go to great lengths to try to prove a lie.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wayne - for some reason I can't see the link to Bob Schoose's video - can you post it again or e-mail it to me?

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paul:
Sent.

Springfield:
The waters are muddy enough to walk on.And solutions abound.
Phil Reinhardt and Rick Gwynne have published their own solution via E-Book this year as well.
I haven't seen it,but it also looks interesting.

Phil's site..........http://letstalktreasure.com/2011/06

Has a great,high resolution B/W photo of a Horse Map.

EE:
We can only do our best with what we got.Any missing or extra markings really only adds a bit to the workload,in here and out there.
Meanwhile,it's close enough to work with.If the extra hole is only a blank spot on the ground,I will erase it and move on to the next question mark on my own map.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions