Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Findin' anything??

Another thread got me to thinking about this as well as the barrage of stupid questions I have been bombarded with lately.
I am apalled at how the general public has no manners to mind their own business. Everyone from the kiddies asking tons of well meaning questions where their parents should step in and make them leave us alone, to teeneagers with their smart @$$ed remarks such as the very original "beep beep beep, followed by stupid giggles, and "hey Bill Murray, Hey Bill Murray", right on up to adults with "findin' anything, whats the best thing you ever found" right on up to old folks with the example in this original post to lectures that " what gives you the right to find other peoples stuff", yep I've been asked that one myself. People of all ages have no manners. When people ask me whats the best thing I've ever found, I tell them "one day it was beautiful and sunny and the water was so calm it was like a sheet of glass, I hunted for 8 hours straight and not 1 person asked me a stupid question at all". That usually does the trick.

I think the next time I have a day to hunt, I'm going to do something different. I'm going to go to tot lots and run up to kids and say"Hey kid, whats that little dump truck for? What are you hauling? Why do you swing on that swing set? Did you build this road out here?" Then I'm going on over to the golf course and get in a golf cart, drive right out on the fairway to some golfers and say" What are you guys doing? How much did those clubs cost? Ever win the PGA tournament, followed by laughter of course, and Whats the best score you ever made?" Then its on to rent a boat and I'm gonna pull right up to someone fishing and start again "Catchin' anything? How much did that boat cost? Whats the biggest fish you ever caught? Have you caught enough fish to pay for that boat yet?"
Does anyone get my point? This is a damn hobby, I should not have to stop in the middle of enjoying it to answer foolish questions. Other people enjoy their hobbies and if asked the same kind of questions they would either think you were 1. crazy or 2 stupid or 3. both. So if some of you enjoy playing 20 questions with Joe Public, thats your business and to each his own. But some of us want to make the most of the limited time we have to hunt and really get tired of the same B.S. so don't try to make everyone react to the questions the same way.

Upvote 0

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
C L, All I have is time,I don't mind answering questions at all,it's got me some private property to hunt! God Bless Chris

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you luck

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am guessing shortly after the tot lot and approaching kids. The only grass you'll see is when your cleaning up trash from your community service. A long with the pedifile profile you'll need to carry the rest of your life. I pretty sure it all depends on who's asking you question on the beach. Kids, men, teens bad leave me alone. 24 year old hot chick falling out of her bikini that's ok right! Your just too up tight.You should be an embassador for the hobby, like most of us are.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
I usually don't have a problem with answering questions. As BCNJ said, be an ambassador to the hobby. That said, i can't always stop to answer a lot of questions. Racing tide conditions or maybe a beach beginning to fill with beach goers.

The one thing that does frustrate me is when parents don't control therir kids. I'm trying to dig a target and little Johhny is standing pratically right on top of the hole. I politely ask him to back up because i don't want him to get hurt, but with the parents standing right there i shouldn't be the one doing the asking.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
I hear what you are saying. On my last hunt, I got the "what's the best thing you have found", to where I answered, how much money do you make a year? " He answered, what does that have to do with it?" Exactly!! was my answer.

I no longer want to promote the hobby, there are too many in my area hunting now.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If people annoy you then you probably shouldn't hunt around them. Choose late at night or early in the morning, or find remote and vacant parks. Yeah probably less stuff to find but you won't be bothered while you hunt. Or when asked a question, point to your earphones and shake your head like you can't hear what's being said. Then look down and start ignoring them.

mike3366

Apr 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buried , your correct we are all ambassadors to our hobby . Yes at times I would rather just swing but do take the time to answer questions and inform people about our hobby .

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
Sounds like you need to read some books on finding inner happiness. If people asking questions upsets you or kids making beep beep sounds gets you angry, we need to do a little work on inner peace. If nothing else prtend you can't hear them. Anytime time someone gives me the beep beep I prtend to get excited and dig and we all have a good laugh. Its all good. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
If nothing else, nothing beats a good set of headphones!!!!

Another thought on how we act around children. Parents are hyper sensitive to how others interact with their children. Even the slightest redress, that is you stepping in to reprimand a child when it should be the parent, regardless of how outrageous the situation, will be met with the full wraith of the parent.

I've seen this play out time and time again where the kid is annoying someone with the parent close by ignoring it. Person finally has enough and says knock it off. This is usually after getting a ball thrown in their face, run into, or some other situation where the kid just takes it too far. And, normally this is in situations where the kid is old enough to know better. Person acts, parent steps in with a full on barrage of how dare they!!!!

I saw one situation escalate to the point where the police were called because mom and dad were drunk and out of control. Then it got surreal! The person who had reprimanded the kids for beaning his car over and over again with a soccer ball was accused by the parents of hitting one of the kids. The police knew better than to believe them but the parents did their best to throw the guy under the bus. And here's where it really gets rich!!! Turns out the kids were told by mom and dad to play ball down the parking lot away from Dad's Corvette!!! So Ok to bean other people's cars but don't hit dad's car! That's about as bad as it gets!!!!! Some people just don't get it and you stepping in usually will end badly for you.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
You are wearing the wrong clothes while detecting. Try this vest, and put out the sign nearby.

InmateVest.jpg inmates_working_100x100.gif

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Yeah.. I actually enjoy getting the questions. The most common is the What's the best thing you found one. But there's also a lot of interest in getting into the hobby too. For them I recommend a good starter machine. I've had some nice longish conversations also.

The beep beep beep teenagers? I've let them try out my machines and they've become excited that the machine can tell the differences between coins and it really doesn't sound like beep beep beep. Teens are really still children no matter how they like to pretend. Their eyes light up too.

I like being the Ambassador.

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Right on DRJoePrime! I spend lots of time helping people understand why I do this hobby.Can't tell you how many youngsters look in my scoop and take the quarter and run off to show someone. My standard answer to the questions are always coy. like. your still have your chain on so no! Or go do some hand stands for me! Or the best one that gets the looks hey buddy nice chain. It always sparks up good conversation and lots of fun, and free water. Kids will put different coins out and have me guess with the detector. I don't loose too ofton. This all just fun the finds are secondary but nice!
BCNJ

OP
OP
Captain Loosechange

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you need to read some books on finding inner happiness. If people asking questions upsets you or kids making beep beep sounds gets you angry, we need to do a little work on inner peace. If nothing else prtend you can't hear them. Anytime time someone gives me the beep beep I prtend to get excited and dig and we all have a good laugh. Its all good. :icon_thumright:
Thanks for your diagnosis "doc", no I don't need any of the crap you suggested. I merely am making the point that metal detecting, is a hobby just like the other hobbies that I mentioned and that it should be able to be enjoyed freely without the constant ridicule or barrage of stupid questions. The whole "embassador" thing gets thrown around alot around here, where is the embassadors to golf or fishing? Try going up and harrassing someone on a golf course and see how far you get and how many "embassadors" you meet there.
I don't want to be an embassador, I want to find treasure because I consider myself a treasure hunter. Thats why I payed what I payed for my detectors, thats why I spend hours doing what I do, not to strike up a conversation with a total stranger. So you guys handle it however your way and I will handle it mine. I suspect there are many many others who feel as I do, they just don't post their feelings for fear of the type of response that I have gotten with this. To each his own, while some are giving metal detector demonstrations or playing 20 questions, I will be recovering targets. And by the way, I am an embassador for the hobby as I refill my holes, take any and all trash found metallic or not to a proper receptacle and remove dangerous objects such as fish hooks and glass from swimming areas. To me these things are much more important than answering every stupid question I'm asked. And to Buried CrapNJ, how is it that if I initiate a conversation with kids I am breaking some kind of a law, but if they start it and I stand there and talk to them then it is o.k.? What a stupid concept.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to like to answer questions from the public and all the kids. They are just curious as I once was. But now that I am lots older and crustier I start to get short with my answers. Lately I noticed the questions from newbies on this forum really gets my gall. "What detector should I get." "Where can I detect to find Silver?" None of these are interested in becoming Charter Members where they can do a search for all the posts made. Nobody thinks to go to manufactures websites to learn about all the models. They rely on perfect strangers recommendations which are usually wrong.

miket

Jun 3, 2008
florida west coast
Detector(s) used
whites beach hunter 300
Thanks for your diagnosis "doc", no I don't need any of the crap you suggested. I merely am making the point that metal detecting, is a hobby just like the other hobbies that I mentioned and that it should be able to be enjoyed freely without the constant ridicule or barrage of stupid questions. The whole "embassador" thing gets thrown around alot around here, where is the embassadors to golf or fishing? Try going up and harrassing someone on a golf course and see how far you get and how many "embassadors" you meet there.
I don't want to be an embassador, I want to find treasure because I consider myself a treasure hunter. Thats why I payed what I payed for my detectors, thats why I spend hours doing what I do, not to strike up a conversation with a total stranger. So you guys handle it however your way and I will handle it mine. I suspect there are many many others who feel as I do, they just don't post their feelings for fear of the type of response that I have gotten with this. To each his own, while some are giving metal detector demonstrations or playing 20 questions, I will be recovering targets. And by the way, I am an embassador for the hobby as I refill my holes, take any and all trash found metallic or not to a proper receptacle and remove dangerous objects such as fish hooks and glass from swimming areas. To me these things are much more important than answering every stupid question I'm asked. And to Buried CrapNJ, how is it that if I initiate a conversation with kids I am breaking some kind of a law, but if they start it and I stand there and talk to them then it is o.k.? What a stupid concept.

I feel the same way you do about people asking all the questions and should mind their own business as we do while hunting. Whoever writes on here with doubt about it are full of it or they didn`t go to hunt they went to talk because they must be lonely. I don`t go hunting to show-off my detector or give lessons and i`m not a tourist attraction. I go for my own entertainment. I don`t run up to anyone asking what they`re doing here. Those who say it`s a free country..we`ll yes it is and i can do what i want without the bother of others. No place else on earth do you walk up to people asking what they`re doing or how much money they make while they are minding their own business..they`ll look at you like your a freak for asking such things so you should do the same when they come up and ask.

OP
OP
Captain Loosechange

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just try to relax, it is only your bothers and sisters asking questions. They are on vacation having fun. If they don't come you won't find your treasure. lol Relax great treasure hunter.

Oh I'm chillin like a villin lookin' for Bob Dylan, Sigmond Fraud(not mispelled, play on words smart @$$:hello:), and I will take a swing at the arm chair psychiatrist as you like to do, notice how you meant to put "brothers and sisters" but you unconciously wrote "Bothers and Sisters", hmmmm...... very interesting, see I'm not only a "great treasure hunter" as you put it but also know that some people like to argue the opposite of any opinion on here, no matter how they really feel!!

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sorry that you don't like the replies to your post. It was your can of worms that YOU opened. Its fairly apparent from your posts you don't play well with other.
And to try and see my point to your quotes:

"And to Buried CrapNJ, how is it that if I initiate a conversation with kids I am breaking some kind of a law, but if they start it and I stand there and talk to them then it is o.k.? What a stupid concept."
Not what you said! You said quote!

"I'm going to go to tot lots and run up to kids and say"Hey kid, whats that little dump truck for? What are you hauling? Why do you swing on that swing set? Did you build this road out here?"

I am pretty sure you start running up to kids and start harassing them with questions uninvided. You may get lucky and someone calls the police. More ofton that not your going to get knock on you butt have crapped beat out of you. Then the parent will call the police. And the part about if they start it? What? They are kids ,kids are inquistive, its ok. Your supposed to be an adult, act like one!
Now as far as fishing and golf goes all the time, I get asked catch anything, nice boat bet that cost a bundle. How was you game today how did you shoot were the greens fast! I don't get this at all. What is wrong with you? Who hurt you?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread