finding coins but none are old!!

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
I have several house sites that I have hunted a couple of times and have found nothing but memorial pennies and few clad dimes here and there. I use an ACE250 and I'm starting to think it doesn't go deep enough. I've been at this for a while and still haven't found a silver coin. Do I need to switch in order to find the older stuff? What am I doing wrong?!?!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
It just doesn't seem like its going deep enough. I have the sites, even houses that are secluded that haven't been hit before, and still I'm finding NOTHING!

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might seem strange but all the older coins ive found have been with minelabs. I have an ace seems to find newer coins and good on jewlry. You want older coins i have a xterra 305 for sale that one will find you older coins. Has a bit more depth than the Ace.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
I started with a BH toy detector you find them in walmart $50, when I lived in LACA and found silver 2nd outing.Sure it is hard to find silver but if it isn't there you can't find it. We wish we could all have all detectors present when we are looking to buy.
Go to How stuff works please and type in the search box "metal detector" it will give you a realistic explanation as what to expect and why. Then go to the videos section of this website and watch the videos featuring the 250 I have one and watched it really offers great advice on how to search. I have yet to find a silver with my 250 but I would have to say it is because it isn't there. Read in this forum about the detectors they have found at yard sales for unreal prices why reasons vary some get them from late family members others realize it is hard work to detect. Look at it this way tomorrow if you found a bucket filled with silver coin you would be on here telling how great this machine is.
I honestly believe that when it is your turn you will shine.
I can cut my grass in 30 min it takes my wife 1 hour not because I am in better shape than her its because I don't over do it first I raise the wheels to the level is easiest for me to cut the lawn. When I am done the lawn is green ready to grow it is pleasing to look at. When she is done the lawn has yellow patches it is not pleasing to look at. And she works twice as hard as I do. She has to fight and push where I just walk behind the self propelled mower. Oh and guess what she has to fill up in between I have fuel left over when I am done.
What does that have to do with mding I think everything a lot of people,e own mowers and a lot own detectors some work hard and get poor results and others get more done hardly trying than most do by busting their ass. Looking in the country don't guarantee you have a silver in the yard. Ever live in the country in the 1980's? Not a lot to do with your spare time didn't have satellite TV couldn't get HBO cable didn't reach those markets until mid 1980's these folks had to occupy their time somehow and unless they had a hot wife they were out digging all that silver after they finished in the garden. These people worked hard they spent money on a detector and they were going to get their money back 3x. Fuel was less expensive every one knew everyone gaining permission
Go to your library they have books on the subject that don't cost you a red cent this can be your rainy day job to research at the library learn where the kids sledded on the snow, where the political rallies were, where the soldiers camped. Do more bench testing if you are searching for silver get a silver coin and run them under your detector so you will never forget what a silver will sound like. Clean up an area with your detector make sure it is free of metal then dig some holes have your friend place some items in the holes at differing depths and see if you can identify the items. Bury a coin, a piece of canslaw with a coin near can slaw try these things you will be able to identify after watching the video offered in the how to section of this forum.
Use this forum to the fullest extent you can hit the home button and dig dig dig you will find there are other ways to get silver sometimes it is just handed to you for a quarter or less. Do a few yard sales get your hands on some test rings and jewelery for a quarter. Ask if they have any coins or broken jewelery for you to use to test your detector they may give you hundreds of dollars of scrap gold for little $. Mark Twain said there's more than nine ways to skin a cat if it is silver coin you are after then ask and you shall get, and when you go to these yard sales seek metal detectors. Some supplement their income with yard sales just with the gold and silver they buy. Guess what you can do too you can ask these folks that are hosting a yard sale if they mind you look around with your detector you might find silver that way.

OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
I really liked that response? And as far as the ACE250 goes it seems to find stuff at 4 inches and above unless its a HUGE piece of metal. The house was built in 1905 so the old coins should be there! There is also a big barn in the back, but the ACE250 just doesn't seem to be doing the job! I put it on coin mode and turn the sensitivity to around 4..still no luck.

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Hang in there grogmug, have you tried planting a few coins at a known depth to see if you can detect them (test bed)? I don't know how long you been detecting but I think we all been there, it took me awhile to find silver, I heard the ACE 250 is great machine. Most if not all of my silver coins have been dug at under 4", I've even found silver on the top of the ground, there's has to be silver there first to find it, when you go to places think out of the box, close to trees / under bushes / steep hills, places that were over looked, I think a lot of places were cherry picked in the past, leaving the hard to find goodies.

Good luck,
TommNJ

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use an Ace 250 and I seem to go 6-8" with my 9" x 6.5" coil. I have just upgraded to the 14"x9" that will go much deeper from Kellyco, but the coils is on back order so I have to wait. Garrett also sells a 12" x 9" coil so you have several options to go deeper. It seems to me that you are too anxious to score big right away, that will come in time. You really need to get to know your machine and learn from the hunting tips posted. You also have to research and hunt the right areas, believe it, or not, their are still coins waiting to be had at all depths. Yesterday one member posted old silver and V nickels barely covered by soil! I have found most of the members to be very helpful in every aspect and continue to learn new tricks. I look forward to your future posts. HH

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel to bad you will find the silver when you put the coil over it. There is not a lot of silver out there anymore. Lots of the places have been searched even if you don;t think they have. I have the DFX and I have only found 2 pieces of silver this year. Why because the silver is not there. I found this old house and I got permission to hunt it. I hunted this place like 6 or 7 times and only found clad and 2 wheat pennies. Later I found out that this place was hunted in the late 70's. I found out later that the owner wife let someone detect it and he didn't even know. So he thought it was never detected. It is just on of those things if it is there you will find it. Is there anyone else close to you that you can detect with. Good luck and happy hunting.....Matt

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
took me about 3 months to find silver, and it came at an old ball park that was said to be hunted out. got a merc dime.

Big A

Mar 28, 2009
Southport, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Just keep trying. I'm using a DFX 300 and still can't find much silver. I know the areas I have been hunting are old, Southport has been here since there was dirt. I just keep swinging and keep on hoping. Good Luck.
Alan

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its it tuff in 8months of soilid detecting ive found one silver dime and its not even that old. And i have a quattro wich can dig ya to the earths core. :headbang:

wolcottdigger

Oct 30, 2008
Wolcott, CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
The Ace 250 finds older things, I have found Indian Head penny's, Buffalo Nickels and over a dozen Wheats this week alone. But I have only found three silver coins in the last twelve months and none in 2009. The Ace is an inexpensive machine but I think a very capable one.
I got my first mercury dime at a place where they hold outdoor parties and family get togethers
and my last silver was at a ball field.
Joe

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have your friends hot wife place some items in the holes at differing depths and see if you can identify the items.......the treasure is got to be there :tongue3:

get a ground balancing detector

just-dig

Dec 25, 2008
North Texas
I'm probably not qualified to answer this post but I'll give you my impression since last October when I started detecting. I too thought immediately that this detector isn't going deep enough because I'm not finding old silver. I'm on my third machine since I started. After digging hundreds and hundreds of holes since then and after much reading on the subject of trash infested sites I've come to the conclusion that if the ground is full of trash you're not going to get the depth you want from any machine.
I found that lowering the sensitivity and slowing down helps tremendously. Since I made this move I've found old silver on all the lots I had been hunting before with the exception of one and it is the most trashy of them all. You can pretty much make a 30" swing on this site anywhere and get six hits in all metal mode.
Try going to youtube and search for the "Norfolk Wolf" and watch his videos. This guy knows his stuff and has helped me probably more than anything else on discovering how the detector works and what it will and will not do in trash.
Good luck, Mark

bangorguy

Aug 1, 2009
hello, i have a off brand metal detector called a "rite" i paid $179 new for it. i have owned white, garrett, torsoro, all high end machines, and i have found more things with this machine than all the others. im not saying it is a better machine cause its not even close. i just found an 1859 indian head and lots of old toys even a abraham lincoln lead bust. i find silver with it to. i think you have a pretty good machine there and i have heard lots of good things about them on the forum. try to take it a bit slower when you swing, and try to do a bit of research as to where old places once were. sometime it takes a bit of work but you will find it just keep trying, and be patiant. theres no feeling like finding a peice of silver thats been there for a half a century or better. i like to go into the woods myself every time i go i never come back empty handed. i have heard that the ace is a great machine for the mony and i also heard that you have to turn the sensitivity down for some reason it detect's better that way. http://www.best-metal-detectors.com/2009/01/23/garrett-ace-250-metal-detector/ i hope this helps you a bit good luck, and welcome to our forum you will meet lots of great people on here. "god bless" ben.

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can tell you the Ace 250 will find deep silver. It took awhile for me to learn mine and have found 27 silver in the last 2 months with the Ace 250 I use the Properformance coil 9 x 12 with mine. You have to be patient and learn the machine then it will come. Plus if the place has alot of trash if you start cleaning the trash up it will open up deeper signals. I have dug silver and IHP from 2"-7" with mine even dug a deep King George the II at 8" with the Ace. You have to dig the iffy signal alot of time the deep coins will have some trash around them masking the coin. Be patient I consistanly do better then my partner that used a minelab paitenance is a virtue. It will come.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first year out I found no old coins with my ace. In '09 my 2nd year I found 2 large cents, a 1857 seated dime, an English halfpenny, a 1920 merc, and 5 indians, several silver 1950's dimes and quarters, and countless wheats so far. It just takes time to become one with a detector in my case it took a year!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread