Finding collections vs. hitting averages. Also incredible Girlfriend luck

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm convinced I stumbled across someone's collection. I have been averaging 1 40% every two boxes. I usually pick up two boxes at a time, and that at least keeps me from being skunked.

Last weekend I had my girlfriend over and had her help me unroll. I told her "you can keep anything you find", figuring at worst I'd be coughing up a 40%er. I should have known better.

Side note - When I first started off coin roll hunting, I was going through nickels. I had $150 bucks worth. They were all skunks down to about the last ten dollars. My GF asked to open a roll, I threw her three and told her "you can keep everything you find." :whip2: She yells " buffalo nickel!" I go over there, and it's one of the new buffalos :laughing9:. Two minutes later, I hear "buffalo!" I was thinking you gotta be kidding me, she was fooled again. Sure enough, she's got a full date buffalo nickel. She only opened three rolls!! I've been through a thousand dollars in nickels and have NEVER found a buffalo nickel, let alone a FULL DATE! :notworthy:

So I should've known better than to let her open halves with me and tell her she can keep whatever she finds. The first box I see a 40% ender, which I grabbed quickly :wink:. Then we start tearing up the silver, I mean really tearing it up. Second box, same thing. All in all, we found two 1964s, almost a full roll of 40%ers, 3 silver bicentennials, and 2 amazingly beautiful 1967 proofs.

This must be a collection right? I mean three silver bicentennials and two 1967 proofs along with the rest of the silver?

The reason I bring this up is because I always assumed returned halves made it to a central facility where they were all homogenized, meaning averages are likely to be hit. Now I think that the coins don't really move too far away from each other and if you find lot's of silver it was from the same costumer who brought in a roll or two.

Fortunately she only kept a 1964 and a silver bicentennial, she's pretty nice. that was my best score ever. She is great luck.

Upvote 0

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
"I should have known better."

Murphy's law applied.

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."

Good run it seems.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Whats the chances of recieving 7 Walking liberties in a box? Whats the chance of 2 of them being face to face in a roll?

Collections when dumped still sit rather close to each other it appears. The way the coin machines work would be just like any of the coin counters just on a larger scale, they scoop up from the outside or middle so instead of the coin being mixed per say, it more of lumps together in batches. I think that is why you find boxes with 144 keepers and then not a whole lot for a while.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread