New to CRH. Finds from 2/16-3/7 ( Pics Added of My Frankendime) shattered die

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all! Been sitting back reading here for a month. Got out immediately and started searching. My bank won't order halves, but have located another that will yesterday. Picking up loose ones here and there, pretty scarce around here seems. About $200 worth altogether, only one bank payed off. Asked teller for any halfs, I'll take em all. She said I got $3 worth, took them to the car.
1-64 Ken
1-63 Ben
1-35 Walker ;D
I'm thinkin somebody broke up a set on these.
$325 in nickels;
2- War nickels 1942p, 1944p
$5980 in dimes boxes and CWR
19- Roosies & 1 62 canadian
Not really much to post about until Tuesday night and I was looking through some clear wrapped dimes. I edge check, but always keep an eye out for dirty rims and really nice rims just to check the date on em. I have found a super-nice 81p & a 08 proof this way. And then;

FRANKENDIME!!!! I tried to take some pics, but my little Kodak Easyshare just won't do it, not for me anyway. It is a 2007p with shattered die and 50% retained cud. Mine looks exactly like the one in the link below. :headbang:

http://www.errorcoinage.com/inventory/item.asp?ID=5529

more info And I Quote:

mikediamond
Coin Collector
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Join DateDec 2004LocationIllinoisPosts1,539Liked77 times

This is one of at least eight shattered obverse (anvil) dies known among 2007-P dimes. There are several stages in the breakdown of this particular die. If you can believe it, this is one of the earlier stages. It's a very nice error.

Past President of CONECA. Host, Error Coin Information Exchange, Yahoo:Groups. My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of any organization I belong to.

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/t202144/#ixzz1ocmkJo4P

Pic

Attachments

• IMG_20120307_002745.jpg
    IMG_20120307_002745.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 396
Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Re: New to CRH. Finds from 2/16-3/7 ( Pics Added of My Frankendime)

Probably the two coins from the same die crack. I've got a die crack 1999-D half dollar with a decent crack on the obverse. Shame it was once at the end of a roll and has machine wrapping marks on it too. I don't think PCGS will grade it because of the damage. Would've been a nice piece in a slab. That's the only one I've found with significant die crack. Still looking for twins. Chances are if the die was damaged, there are multiple pieces struck before they found out and replaced the die.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Very nice frankendime!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

I hope CaptainWiffo ?(sp?) sees this as he had found a shattered die dime find last year. Perhaps, you might want to edit your title to reflect the shattered die?

OP
OP
frankendime

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other

Diver_Down said:
I hope CaptainWiffo ?(sp?) sees this as he had found a shattered die dime find last year. Perhaps, you might want to edit your title to reflect the shattered die?

And I have. Good Idea!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread