Finding maps to compare

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings,

So one of the things that I haven't been able to wrap my mind around since beginning my research into treasure hunting/metal detecting is where to find good "old" maps to compare with current. I have seen some ties promising to give clear maps and/or topo data but the cost to obtain the materials is considerable. I have done some research on my county clerk's website looking for old deed records and maps to look for places to hunt but the site only lists 2 maps that I can see: 1 is very old (possibly several years after the town was started) and the other is 60-80 years ahead of the previous map. I'm thinking these maps will give me a starting point for my local town but what do you guys use to find your maps? I heard of one guy using an old town map and comparing it to modern Google Earth imagery. I just don't know where to find a good supply of the old maps.

While we're on the subject of research, I do have one other question. The first town I am looking to hunt was founded in 1796. Given the large amount of trade merchants that came through the area, the small amount of sugar and brick industry that existed in the town, and the civil war history in the area, I feel like I'll be able to find some good things there. Aside from trying to find old topo data and maps, as well as utilizing old homestead records, what other sources would you guys use to identify hunt locations within the town? I considered researching civil war troop movements in the area and taking a chance areas that were likely frequented for casual strolls by colonial or civil war era citizens but I want to make sure I dedicate my precious hunting time in the areas likely to generate the best results. One last note on this section, I am going to buy the waterproof Garrett AT Pro so I intend to check the nearby creek and will hopefully build up to the edge of the nearby river when my search techniques are refined.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

zurc

Feb 14, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett ProPointer, Treasure Products 580 PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been trying to find this as well with no luck.

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
try NETR Online • Historic Aerials they have a good many old topos loaded that you can overlay with current satellite images and roads-so it's easy to see where old roads and buildings were in relation to today's landmarks.

HH

OP
OP
H

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice Salura. I checked out the site and created an account. It looks like that will be a valuable resource. I also spoke with the County Clerk's office earlier today to see what resources they have and they advised me to check out the records search on their website and to talk with the local tourism office about historical maps. Other advice included checking the local historical museum and talking with them about old maps as well. This will be really helpful. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread