Finding Maps?

Diggins

Sep 19, 2006
Geneva, IL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hi. Yesterday a friend and I got permission to detect this cotton farm that has been in the family for atleast 200yrs. In theory this should be a great place to hunt it has (that I saw so far) a small cemetary, old tobacco barn, river, woods, old dump sites and that's all with in only a 1/4 mile area, we haven't really looked around yet.

I am trying to find old maps that might show CW troop movement in Jones County, NC., or what might have, if anything taken place on the land. I have googled CW Maps of Jones County NC, etc. etc. and can't really find anything. Anyone know of some good sites or have info leads, or any hunting tips in general for that matter?

MUCH appreciated!!!!!!!!

Likely Guy

Hey Diggins,

Try this: digital.lib.ecu.edu/special/ead/findingaids/0390/0390.pdf

It describes the papers that belonged to Nathan R. Frazier who was a member of Company B, the 45th Regiment North Carolina State Troops. The papers are at the J.Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University. Between February and March, 1863 he was stationed at a picket camp in Jones County.

As it explains in the guide, "Specific camps described are Camp Mangum in Wake County, N.C. (1862); acamp near Drewry's Bluff (1862); a picket camp in Jones, Co., N.C. (1863); a camp in HalifaxCo., N.C. (1862); camps near Goldsboro and Kinston, N.C. (1862-1863); Camp Holmes inRaleigh, N.C. (1864); and a camp near Hamilton's Crossing at Fredericksburg, Va. (1863).

I hope it helps, HH.

One mans trash...

Mar 29, 2009
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV
Here's a link to a map of Army of the Potomac operations in the Carolinas.
http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/ser...civil+war+carolina;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=15&trs=47

If that link is too long, just go to the main web site and search on CIVIL WAR CAROLINA. This is among the results. NOT a speedy site, but don't give up. The resolution is very high. It just takes a while for the detail to download. If it looks fuzzy, give it time. Doesn't look like it has much in Jones County, though.

Take a look through the others. DavidRumsey.com has a tremendous collection of historical maps scanned in high res, searchable, and zoomable.

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If my new berne N.C. is the right one then there was rebel movement south of the town about 4 miles and 7 miles south near croatan there was a rebel intrenchment it looks like most of the movement was near the atlantic and N.C. railroad. If its on the Neuse River then it should be a good place to hunt, my map dosnt show how they got there just where they were Good Luck!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions