Finding Virgin Treasure Sites With Regularity.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear people talk of hoping to find that "virgin" treasure hunting site where nobody has ever hunted before. Well here is the guaranteed way you can do this just about every weekend if you do just a little homework.

I have been Relic Hunting for years. 18 plus to be exact. When I first got started, I had no internet to search for clues nor did I have a mentor. I learned the hard way by trial and error and what little I could read in magazines and books. It was by accident that I learned the technique that would jump start my hobby in ways I could not have imagined.

I was living in a history rich southern city that a large Confederate Force had occupied throughout the Civil War. Before and after the Civil War, the United States Army had a presence there. The city was established in the early 1700's with some earlier settlers living in the area before that. Most of the areas where lots of activity took place back in the old days were on the outskirts of the city center. Today, those areas are now in the heart of the city as we know it since the city center has grown well out into what was once the outskirts. As a result of this growth, most of the military camps, trenches and gun emplacements that existed in the past have been covered with concrete or asphalt or they have been developed into residential areas. This meant that most of the good stuff was hopelessly inaccessible. That is until I discovered the wonderful world of construction site hunting.

Big or small, construction sites are windows to the past that will open for a very short period of time in Urban areas. A new building, a new parking lot, a new subdivision, a new store, a new school all provide the opportunity to reach back in time where nobody has been able to go before. The reason for this is clear. Most old paved roads, sidewalks, old buildings, etc., that are downtown in older cities have been in place for 50 or more years. When those locations are excavated for rebuilding or new use, you are afforded an opportunity to hunt areas that have never seen a metal detector. The key to success in these locations is to stay on top of what is going on in your area, making contact with the contractor ahead of ground breaking for permission to hunt and establishing the rules, and then being the first person on the site when ground is broken and the o.k. to hunt is given.

Obviously, anywhere within a mile or so of the center of downtown in an Urban setting of an old city is going to be productive. Remember as stated above, what was on the outskirts of the old city center is where all of the activity was going on. Military drills, parks, fairs, horse races, sporting events, you name it, it was happening. The older the city, the older the finds you will be fortunate to possess.

In my case, my finds went from pitifully slim semi modern items to impressive relics over night.

Some examples are as follows:

Sidewalk replacement sites: Old sidewalks in a city can be aged by looking for certain identifiers. Old cement is of course one sign. Brass plates with dates on them are another or you may see names and dates etched in the concrete by a child or adult. Keep in mind that those old sidewalks most likely covered well used dirt walking paths. I keep my detector in the trunk of my car almost always and anytime I see a sidewalk being torn out for replacement or repair, I make a point to come back to that location before the area is completed and hunt the fresh ground that has just been exposed by the demolition. My finds to date under old sidewalks in this manner have been numerous. They include Seated Liberty coins and an 1840's United States Army Breast Belt Plate, (Mexican War Era), with a Silver Wreath and Silver U.S. inside the wreath.

Old House Demolition: My best find to date came from the demolition site of a 1920's home. You would not expect to find anything that good at such a place until you understand that those homes were built in 1920 right on top of an old Confederate Camp area. My find at this lot which was 50 ft X 50 ft, was a CS Old English Script Two Piece Belt Buckle. A rarity of 9 on a scale of 10. Along with that buckle I found two Georgia State Seal Buttons and a few U.S. Eagle buttons all in that small lot.

Construction site of a new gymnasium and sports field: Here I found the remnants of a WWI training camp. I came off that field the day it was graded for construction with pockets full of old silver coins all predating 1918, WWI collar brass and buttons, WWI era jewelry and other great items.

Repaved roadways: My finds in these areas where old pavement has been completely removed to expose the old dirt road beneath have been Confederate Buttons, Old Coins and various artifacts and relics.

The good and bad of Construction Sites in older parts of town:

Good:

Everything you find is usually fairly old.

The ground is freshly graded or scraped making hunting very easy.

You are usually the first person that has ever hunted the area. Remember that metal detectors didn't exist when the original structure, sidewalk, parking lot, etc., was built so this is the first time these areas have seen the light of day since metal detectors were invented.

Items are usually near the surface of the ground.

Bad:

Limited hunt time. These sites don't stay in the prep stage for very long. You may only have a day or two to hunt the entire area before it is closed again by topsoil prep, concrete, asphalt, etc.

You have to be able to talk a site forman into letting you hunt.

Everybody who sees you there will want to join in and since it is in a public place, you will be seen.

Often high trash. This can be worked around with a small coil.

Be Among The First To Know About New Constuction Projects

You can learn of proposed construction sites through various means but the best way is to stay informed about what is going on in and around your community. Stories about the locations of proposed construction projects are often in your local paper or on your local news channels. You can also check with the city or county building permit official in your area. They have lists of requests for construction permits that are open to the public. A drive into a historic area will often let you simply eyeball an area where it is obvious that construction is about to take place. A recent location here in Central Florida that I hunted and found old silver was easily identified because the old buildings in the area where a new strip mall was going to be built were being torn down. I saw a location in Tampa on a recent drive through there off I-275 where over 100 old homes were being demolished to make way for a new roadway. Those homes were at least 50 years old and who knows what was there before they were built.

Conclusion:

Hope this gives you some luck and some insight into what is out there at construction sites. If you live in smaller towns, the same principle applies but you may have to travel a little to the nearest larger city to find construction on a regular basis.

Good Luck and I promise if you do your research and watch those historical areas for fresh construction, you will find some really great stuff!!!

DaChief

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if your not going to sue them y sign a waver?
side note i found 5 (ithink ::) )late 1880 coins(a seated dime,a V nick,2-4 Indians ?) from construction site/sidewalk tear outs (just this year)
and a coin purse with 14 Indian heads in it from a NEW housing property development (on dec29th i think it was last year)

OP
OP
DaChief

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never been turned away from a construction location and I have never had to sign a waiver of any kind. The only locations that I have not been able to hunt were construction sites that had significant archaeological sites within them. One contained a cemetery which was identified as belonging to a free black community before the civil war and the other was a location which had some significant Indian artifacts that were known to be at that location before construction began.

I would expect that maybe in super cities like New York, etc., you may run into more issues with permission. I have never tried to hunt there. But I have been to other cities such as Atlanta, Birmingham, etc., where I was given permission without hesitation.

Keep in mind that most of the locations I have hunted weren't major construction sites where big high rises, etc. were being put in. The largest was the WWI site which encompassed about 100 acres where the gym and sports fields were being constructed.

One last thing. You have to have a positive attitude and a good outlook when you go searching for these locations. I have always approached the forman or other persons on these sites with a big smile, a handshake and positive conversation about what I do.

As my hero Forrest Gump said. "Can't never could."

I can't guarantee that everyone is as charming as I am and will get permission every time but even 50 percent of the time gets you 50 out of 100 virgin sites to hunt!!!!!

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hey thanks DaChief for the wonderfull ideas! I'm new to MDing so when I read your post I thought "Brilliant!" and definately an approach I will try come spring/summer here in Canada.

The beauty of your idea for me is I work for the Utilities division of the city I live in. That's the natural gas and water infrastructure of a good mid sized city that was founded early 1800's in southern Ontario. I also of course have easy access to the Roads Dept and getting permission to hunt "should" be relatively easy for me as I work directly for the city; the same as the construction or maintenance crew I'll be talking to. Nice.

Thanks again. Come on spring time!!

Merry X-Mas all! ;)

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Nice post. You have had much better luck than I have had. Have tried several times to access construction sites ( Central FL also) but have been denied every time by construction folks ( foreman). I have tried offering to sign a waiver absolving them from any liability but was still refused. It is a litigation worry on the part of the construction companies. Glad you have been able to access these sites.

Ray S ECenFL

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
DaChief,

yes, after years and years, I have found that
regularity is important.

have a good un................
SHERMANVILLE

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great info........i keep info like this in my notes.it provides good insight on those where you just draw a blank on places to hunt.thanks for the post :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread