Finds for 02/09/2007

Perseids

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2008
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Classic II, ACE 150
Well, Smokey and I got out again on Sat. We had a BIG list of places to go, mostly parks and local places of gathering or signifigance. The first place we went, I didn't have much luck 1 rosie and 2 memorials. But also found a chunk of molten lead, 1 whatzit and another bullet. The bullet has me puzzled, although I am by no means any expert on civil war era bullets; I thought it was odd that it was completely flat across the bottom, no concavity at all. The bullet measures 1" tall and 1/2" across the base. The area where I found it makes it possible to be civil war era. I would describe it but there are other hunters from my neck of the woods on this board and I don't want to give away any secrets.. hehehe

Our next stop is an old school that is now vacant. 1 rosie, 1 Jefferson and 11 memorials and the ring. Emphasis on the ring! It was abt 21/2 or 3 down and when I saw the edge I thought it was a nickel, when I tried to look at the face I noticed there was no face to it and then saw the 'topaz' colored stone and knew I had found another ring. The markings inside the band are really hard to see, with glasses and a magnifying glass I am able to make out "825"(so it is silver at least) and a circle with a 'c' in the center. The third marking I cannot make out. The odd thing is that the band appears to have been plated and it is now worn off. Would they plate a silver ring??? Have no idea bout the stone, most likely not genuine anything but it is still a silver ring!

Next we hit a small park, now when I say small I mean SMALL like 100' x 100', maybe. I found 2 quarters and 4 memorials. 3 of the memorials I found without the md. They were just laying on top of the ground, but I'm gonna count them anyway...

The last spot we went to was another school, although this one is still in use and has 2 or 3 athletic fields that everyone uses and playgrounds. My finds were 2 quarters, 1 rosie and 7 memorials. The oldest find was one of the quarters was a '69. We are definitely going back here as we barely scratched the surface.

This was my first trip out with my ACE 150. I thought it did OK. The pinpointing takes some getting used to, I am used to all-metal toggle with Classic II and it always pp'd dead center of the coil. I have an ACE 250 w/accessories on its way to me now, somewhere btwn FL and me as we speak. I should get it Mon or Tues.

I still have yet to dig a silver coin, I guess my detectors are not able to get deep enough for silver??? Or I have never just gotten my coil over one yet. I'm curious to see the differences btwn the ACE 150 and 250.

I can't wait to get out again!! GL to all!

Attachments

• bullet & watzit.jpg
    bullet & watzit.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 408
  • bullet & watzit2.jpg
    bullet & watzit2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 413
  • bullet & watzit end.jpg
    bullet & watzit end.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 409
  • bullet&ring.jpg
    bullet&ring.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 399
  • Ring.jpg
    Ring.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 418
Upvote 0
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Nice ring Perseids WTG!, you may want to get someone who knows take a look, a lot of antique European silver was marked 825. There is also something called Sheffield silver plate which was a thick silver coating on a base of copper alloy.

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That whatzit looks like a cuff button--maybe from the picture--just an idea.

That ring is--very nice and I would say very old. I know you say duh!! :) :)

I mean it looks so classy old--when working folks in the early 1900's could afford to buy a ring that is what they saved for and bought. Usually from a traveling salesman--like a backpacking peddler--that kind of old.

Stryker

OP
OP
P

Perseids

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2008
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Classic II, ACE 150
I checked again with glasses and a loupe and the numbers are 925 instead of 825.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread