Finds from my new favorite site! Cache of axe heads

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I have gained permission to hunt an 80 acre farm that dates back to the 1700's in Western MA. As far as I can tell, I am the only person who has hunted this farm so far, and all most all of my targets have been shallow, less than 6 inches. Most of the items have been located in an area that is being turned into a vineyard, the others were found near a collapsed barn. The two axe heads in the picture were found in the same hole, as well as another axe head or tool that I still need to photograph. Of the 4 coins I have found on site so far, the 1908 Barber half is the most recent, it was found right next to the owners house, about 3 inches down. The 1848 large cent (my first) and the 1854 Bank of Upper Canada half penny token, the unidentified copper, the Indian head, the broken sterling spoon, and the crotal bell were all found in the vineyard. All of these targets I have found in about 6 hours of hunting. I have covered less than an acre of this 80 acre property. I can't wait for the owners to till another two acres in a couple weeks!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 100
Upvote 4

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those ax heads will clean up and restore very nicely! Great saves.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you, They are still razor sharp in spots. The other tool that was in the same hole may have been an axe head or draw knife. It had an interchangeable blade. I will post a pic later.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Chris, I am sure the owners would have no problems at all with me bringing a friend. Especially one who uphold out ethics as well as you. I am going to request permission to bring my class there for a day, I am confident that the owners will allow them as well. Perhaps on the day we go, I could utilize your skills as a guest instructor, if you'd be interested in that (I'd just have to check with my principal).

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some good stuff.

Hard to see the unknown, maybe you should try a peroxide soak to see if you can get some detail.

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Incredible haul. Axe heads are very cool!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds, Gotta love those axe heads, good luck and keep us in the loop:thumbsup:

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt and finds! Looks like you have a honey hole site, good luck on future digs. HH, Mike

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Chris, I am sure the owners would have no problems at all with me bringing a friend. Especially one who uphold ethics as well as you. I am going to request permission to bring my class there for a day, I am confident that the owners will allow them as well. Perhaps on the day we go, I could utilize your skills as a guest instructor, if you'd be interested in that (I'd just have to check with my principal).
I'll gladly show them the ropes[ as long as they don't out do me ]:laughing7:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME HUNT - REALLY NICE FINDS!!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need any help - Im not far away :tongue3:

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I too really like those axe heads.
Congrats!!

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you everyone! Does anybody have some expertise in old axes who might be able to guess a date for them? I left the third with a friend who might be able to get some info on it. I will have it back in a few days and will post a pic. Its nothing like the two that are pictured. It is a blade that looks interchangeable as it is connected with square nails to the part that mounts on the handle.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you everyone! Does anybody have some expertise in old axes who might be able to guess a date for them? I left the third with a friend who might be able to get some info on it. I will have it back in a few days and will post a pic. Its nothing like the two that are pictured. It is a blade that looks interchangeable as it is connected with square nails to the part that mounts on the handle.

I would not consider myself an expert, but from my limited experience and research, and looking at some of the reference books I have on early American tools, I would guess at least mid 19th century and, perhaps, even as early as 18th century.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What would you suggest to restore them? Maybe a little wire brush and some apple cider vinegar?

I "restored" a rusty axe head (not as old as yours) by putting it in a fire and cooking the rust off it. The fire did no damage to the good metal. I put a new handle on it and it is the sweetest swinging axe I've ever had in my hands.

Nice finds.

FYI - You silver spoon is made by J.B. & S. M. Knowles - Providence RI. 1875 - 1905

DCMatt

Last edited:
OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I "restored" a rusty axe head (not as old as yours) by putting it in a fire and cooking the rust off it. The fire did no damage to the good metal. I put a new handle on it and it is the sweetest swinging axe I've ever had in my hands.

Nice finds.

FYI - You silver spoon is made by J.B. & S. M. Knowles - Providence RI. 1875 - 1905

DCMatt

Thank you for the idea and the ID on the spoon. I was actually just looking up some hallmarks to try and ID it myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions