jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just learned what an ID-10-T error is lol but I found this on Wiki and I agree

Do you believe the new TN is "user freindly?"

While I did finally learn to search, I had to go through 10 unnecessary steps to get to square 1. And Im sure there will be more time consuming unnecessary steps before Im finished. Too many time consuming unnecessary steps seems to me to be inviting ID-10-T errors.

"user friendly" is dependent on the user of the phrase

the New setup is more user friendly to the new owners

but the old site was more user friendly to us.

I really dislike the words "Making it more user friendly"
Comcast did that when they changed to Xfinity. Now that's a pain to learn also.
the most user friendly anything can be is the way it was on day one of your learning
and understanding it.
Change is Never good

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a known fact most people dont like change.... I hated the new format when it first changed, now it doesnt matter to me.......It is just different....

It is like pc operating systems, every time they change the new one always seems less "user friendly".... Stuff is moved, the process to do something is different than what we are use to so to us it is less "user friendly" when in actuality it is just different.

Windows 98 was okay, they came out with ME and I hated it, it sucked, then they came out with XP and it was hard, now I think it was the best operating system MS put out, yet MS has changed it twice. I hated Vista it sucked, the security in it made everything hard......Windows 7 is okay, but I still perfer XP, even though windows 7 is actually a good operating system, it is just different. I was forced to learn it because my wifes Laptop PC has it on it and I have to fix anything she breaks or doesnt understand how to do.....

I hate it every time they change Windows Explorer, not because it is harder, but simply because it is different and I am forced to learn a new way to do what to me was easy before, but the truth is it actually isnt really harder, just different......

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I agree, XP was easy for me to learn but vista is not as "user friendly" to me. I took a class on XP back in '03 and luckily the same stuff still works to fix vista (if you can find it). With the old version of Tnet I had a five year old routine when I would log on. I'm still trying to get one for the new version but it's coming along. I have had to send a few PM's of my own to try to figure out stuff here Cy, it's a slow process for me too. We're gonna get a new computer for Xmas this year and windows 8 will probably be out by then so I'll get to start all over.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have Windows XP also. I hear what you are all saying and you are probably correct. The days of "user freindly" may be over. Maybe the new computer users do not want "easy". Maybe complicated unnecessary options is what they prefer. But my complaint is not that it cant be learned. My complaint is that its so very much unnecessary. I think someone needs to remove all the unnecessay features and fine tune this bad machine called TreasureNet.

I keep thinking about my very first handheld Magellan GPS. Couldnt use it without carrying a pad of instructions and codes. What a useless piece of crap it was. Then I purchased a Garmin about 10-15 years ago. It was so very different but so very easy to use. Thats called "user freindly." It didnt takes months to learn and it does all the same things and more. Its still basically the same today. Why? Because it works, its easy and people like it. Sure new features are added but its not a complete makeover..

garmin.jpg

Myself I am losing interest. Time will tell if the new owners are correct. Im sure TN will continue without me lol but how many other people will also become frustrated with all the unnecessary options and time consuming steps?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All my images posted here are stored in my profile for some unknown reason. I tried to clean it up in an attempt to receive email. I have a small text email limit but apparently an unlimited space for images. Does this make any sense lol? Everyone knows images take up more space than text alone. Trying to save space by deleting images in my profile, I actually deleted a thousand images from the What Is It archives. But my text still remains. My text remains without any images to support it.

What kind of useless option is this where I can delete images from the archives by cleaning up my profile page? If I wanted to delete an image on a particular thread, the option was already in place.

I may not have finished High School but I think I have good common sense and can realize when something is not right. There are many other examples of unnecessary unneeded options that have the potential to do more harm than good.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my images posted here are stored in my profile for some unknown reason. I tried to clean it up in an attempt to receive email. I have a small text email limit but apparently an unlimited space for images. Does this make any sense lol? Everyone knows images take up more space than text alone. Trying to save space by deleting images in my profile, I actually deleted a thousand images from the What Is It archives. But my text still remains. My text remains without any images to support it.

What kind of useless option is this where I can delete images from the archives by cleaning up my profile page? If I wanted to delete an image on a particular thread, the option was already in place.

I may not have finished High School but I think I have good common sense and can realize when something is not right. There are many other examples of unnecessary unneeded options that have the potential to do more harm than good.

Big C,

I may be wrong but I dont think so, I will check with admins, but I beileve your emails are based on the total number you have sent and received, not what is in them. If you want more email space you delete old emails, it has nothing to do with the pictures in them, just like before on the old TN was based on total number. Say you have a limit of 500 messages, it doesnt matter if those 500 messages take up 500 MB or 1 Gig or have a 100 pictures in them, your limit is based on the total amount of emails...Deleting pictures isnt going to give you more space for emails if your still at your limit for total number of emails.........

I will check with admin, but that is stardard way on most forums...

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By emails I assume your talking about private messages? By default, everyone gets 500... do you have more then that? Are there a ton in your sent items folder you can delete???

I'm having a hard time visualizing what problem you are having. More details would help.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By emails I assume your talking about private messages? By default, everyone gets 500... do you have more then that? Are there a ton in your sent items folder you can delete???

I'm having a hard time visualizing what problem you are having. More details would help.

John he is talking about PMs, many members think of them as emails, I said emails in my post because he said emails and that is how he thinks of them..........

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, so for private messages -- deleting images, posts, anything in your profile, etc. will not help.

You have an inbox, drafts and sent messages. Any private messages in any of these folders go towards your "quota" -- You can delete full pages of PM's at a time in any of these folders to "make more room" -- in addition, I've just increased the quota a bit for all members to help out... but eventually, you'll fill up again. It's best to delete old ones that you don't need.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks John.........

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
sure

big-cypress-hunter, sure there might be a dowsing find in the banner sometime in teh future. Or perhaps one has already been there?

Here's how it would work: They take the wand thingy out to likely looking ruins. It points at likely spots around likely ruins. The dowser then takes out his metal detector to "pinpoint". He digs enough holes, around these likely looking ruins, and presto, he'll eventually find something. And see? It was all because of the dowsing :laughing7:

I have an odd request. Does anybody know of any dowsing finds in the banner?

I made a comment about zero dowsing finds in the banner that offended a partner of mine..

I was just guessing and I may certainly be wrong.

I dont want to search through every one so maybe somebody will direct me to the dowsing banner finds.

This is not a joke. Im serious. Thanks.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When digging artifacts and opening a beer I would ask the great spirit to help me find an arrowhead and poor a swallow or two around the inside of the hole I was excavating. I was very lucky, always found arrowheads and soon I was to see a half dozen other diggers doing the same...These finds we're long before I joined TN, so I am not expecting a Great Spirit assisted Banner or something! It is the result that counts and if what you are doing brings you more success, then it doesn't have to make sense to everyone to have a following. Dowsers want to know how other dowsers are doing and really don't care what anti-dowsers think!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would dowsing work if your eyes are closed? Are you saying they paid you to dowse? Why not use a pulse MD?

TH I think with your 14 years experience, you had a good idea where the lines were. And TnMountains you may have had an idea where the old water line was. But thanks for relating your experiences. There is no simple yes it works or no it doesnt.
Yes we knew the general location across the ridge but had dozed off the top ;ayer as it was full of limestone. I knew the line was deep and it wound around many buried large limestone out crops so locating it at key points helped.
Yes I could have dowsed it with my eyes closed. I went outside and just did the water line to the house for fun. My friend is a elec superintendent with a large company that builds shopping centers. They dose elec lines all the time. I am sure anyone can do it. Not a gift. I do not consider looking for my little treasure with dowsing rods.
Jeff now you may have some luck with pork chops in a tot lot. I say give it a try.Nothing else the local dogs will love ya.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

No worry. It works now. I solved the PM problem simply by deleting some PMs (about a thousand) and it eventually started working.

However I notice there are thousands of images stored in my profile taking up space, Arent they using unnecessary valuable space? I didnt put them there, I didnt want them there, so I deleted some before I realized that I was deleting images from the archives.. I thought this was another example of an unnecessary feature that can cause more harm than good. And it caused serious harm by deleting images from the What Is It archives but it seems the new TN is not interested in saving them anyway. I thought this was odd that you dont back up all the old archives that are so very valuable for future reference.

But forget I mentioned it and I will try not to complain anymore. Good luck with the new formatt. As long as the majority loves it, I guess it will be fine. Does the majority of members love the new format? I guess it doesnt matter.

Thanks for trying to help but there is no longer a problem. I was just complaining about the entire new TN and I will try not to do that anymore because I am not helping

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yes we knew the general location across the ridge but had dozed off the top ;ayer as it was full of limestone. I knew the line was deep and it wound around many buried large limestone out crops so locating it at key points helped.
Yes I could have dowsed it with my eyes closed. I went outside and just did the water line to the house for fun. My friend is a elec superintendent with a large company that builds shopping centers. They dose elec lines all the time. I am sure anyone can do it. Not a gift. I do not consider looking for my little treasure with dowsing rods.
Jeff now you may have some luck with pork chops in a tot lot. I say give it a try.Nothing else the local dogs will love ya.
If it works with your eyes closed, would seem to mean that your slight hand movement is not controlling it. I wonder if its hard to keep the rods level with eyes closed? Someone else would have to tell you when it points.

Ill bend some rods and try to experiment. I guess there may be something to it because several respected members like yourself have testified. Thanks.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big c,

If you want to call me when you want to try it on a Saturday I will be happy to work with you over the phone as you experiment.

I am 1000% sure I can do it, I did it for 15 years while working for the phone company in Missouri day in and out.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it works with your eyes closed, would seem to mean that your slight hand movement is not controlling it. I wonder if its hard to keep the rods level with eyes closed? Someone else would have to tell you when it points.

Ill bend some rods and try to experiment. I guess there may be something to it because several respected members like yourself have testified. Thanks.

BigCyp you would feel them turn in your fingers or maybe rotate is a better word. I do not believe in anything paranormal or stuff like that. This is just something we always just took for granted and never thought a lot about it. Just passed down from the old timers. Take a coat hanger and snip off two pieces about 12 inches long. Bend the coat hangers in half at a right angle or 90 degrees. Hold them loose in each hand just out from your body. Not tight. walk over an extension cord and you will see the rods work in unison. Get the feel of it and you can just use one. I like to do two at first when showing someone so they can see them work together. It feels like a slight magnetic pull. Once you get the hang of it any forked stick will work if you do not have any coat hangers handy. I like a green thin one. It will rise up almost straight as you pass over the water or wires. Pretty weird.
I ended up having to delete my whole mail box. It seems like I am on an old windows style computer having to keep everything clean. I guess they need the disc space to keep from lagging. I liked the older format better as it stood out more and was easier to discern.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yea I had to delete about a thousand emails to get in compliance. TN is storing thousands of my images in my profile so I thought I was helping by deleting them. I doubt I will be the only person to make this mistake.

Im sure the younger generation will like the new format with all the features. What else can I say?

When I get a chance I will try it again. I remember feeling them turn in my fingers but I always thought the rods were moving from gravity caused by a slight tilt of hand.

I dont suggest anyone try the Ouija Board. It may scare you.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread